NGD '79 Ibanez PF400

Liquid State

Reaction score
been doing lots of reading here (thank you, gentlemen) and been really looking hard at the MIJ for-sale thread (almost pulled the trigger a few times). Seems there are very few MIJ LPs around here in Portland. I remember an Orville came up about 3 years ago when I had no idea what it was.... Anyway this popped up on Craig's List Friday night and I jumped right on it. Is a bit rough. Strings were very corroded, looked like they had not been changed/played in 20 years - seriously.

1979 PF400. Set neck, one piece back, gold harware, both the original Super Seventy pups, and Gibraltar bridge. What little info I can find it seems it was one of the better items in their catalogue in '79.

I guess it pays to be obsessive and check the ads 3 times a day....

TruckstopChuckie

Reaction score
IMO, the old Ibanez PF series like yours, may be the best looking 'based upon the LP design but not a copy', models out there. Familiar shapes, but got their own thing going on as well, and it has that 'old flavor' that some of the newer 'boutique' guitars doesn't have...

HNGD. Great guitar.

Liquid State

Reaction score
IMO, the old Ibanez PF series like yours, may be the best looking 'based upon the LP design but not a copy', models out there. Familiar shapes, but got their own thing going on as well, and it has that 'old flavor' that some of the newer 'boutique' guitars doesn't have...

HNGD. Great guitar.
thanks, Chuck. I had never seen one before I caught the ad on CL. I am really digging it. :) The shape is definitely a bit off from a LP "replica". Due to the extra material on top near the pup switch and the bigger bottom end it does not fit in an LP case. The slightly bigger size (and the big headstock) do give it a semi-hollow arch top vibe.

is interesting that is has all the specs and h/w elements (including the locking tuners not offered on other models) of the PF400, but is in amber (AM) color that is not listed in catalog. Since they were not offered in 1980 this may have been at end of run and they were doing some odd stuff. Found an image of the 1979 Ibanez catalog online where someone had written AM in pen right behind the official color codes. Maybe Fujigen decided to put out a few in this color after the catalog was printed....

Matty

Reaction score
That's a sweet lookin' guitar bro. Congrats. :cheers:

space

Reaction score
Sweet guitar
That is top of the line "Performer" series
Nice and Heavy
Have fun
T

oldflame

Reaction score
Worked in a music store back in the late 70's. We were an Ibanez, Antoria, Guild, Hagstrom dealer. Also stocked a few Gibson's. Mainly SG's and Les Pauls. Sold heaps of PF400's and PF300's. Guys would come in and pick up a new Les Paul and then have a go on a PF400/300. Usually start with 'WOW! How much is this?' At a third of the price of a Les Paul you couldn't go wrong.

Great guitars...enjoy.

space

Reaction score
Due to the extra material on top near the pup switch and the bigger bottom end it does not fit in an LP case. [/QUOTE said:
A Gretsch Jet case will work
T

Latest Threads