NGD - '78 The Paul

madmusicltd

Reaction score
I have a 1980, and have had it since 1982, It was my backup for many years, ended adding a Roland synth p/u to it, and had to replace the p/u's years ago... I recently had to replace the bridge as it was starting to sag... Ebony fret board too!
GibsonFirebrand.jpg

it's now my MAD guitar!
IMG_0753.jpg

The Ballzz

Reaction score
madmusicltd,
Not to be a jerk, but FYI, that is not a "The Paul" but instead an "LP Firebrand" which is in my opinion even better!:thumb: All mahogany instead of walnut and every one I've ever picked up have been among the best guitars I've played. I own one that I've had since 82 also and it's my main squeeze!
Good On You,
Gene

HardCore Troubadour

Reaction score
not all firebrands are Mahogany bodies......most are actually still walnut....only the Deluxe models and Mahogany....

But don't fret, they are still great guitars!!

Dharma66

Reaction score
I've never had my hands on a Firebrand...would definitely like to try one out though.

During my guitar wilderness years (25 years barely touching a string), a music store opened in my home town, I popped in on the off chance, to see if they had a The Paul, and the guy says no, but they (must have been the mid 90's, this) had released The Paul II, which he assured me was "just the same".

I played one for about five minutes, and then assured him it most certainly was not the same :)

Quite a few people have said, though, that the Firebrand is very, very similar in feel, so I'm somewhat intrigued...

circusboy28

Reaction score
I have a 1980 LP Firebrand too. It's a winner, really great to play and the T-Tops sound fantastic. Nice score getting your Paul mate.

madmusicltd

Reaction score
madmusicltd,
Not to be a jerk, but FYI, that is not a "The Paul" but instead an "LP Firebrand" which is in my opinion even better!:thumb: All mahogany instead of walnut and every one I've ever picked up have been among the best guitars I've played. I own one that I've had since 82 also and it's my main squeeze!
Good On You,
Gene

I know what kind of guitar it is... I've had it for 30 years, it is labeled Firebrand on the original TRS too? I didn't mean to post and assume that this is "The Paul" guitar.. although I am somewhat confused? did one model replace the other, or were they produced at the same time? It is an awesome guitar, a bit heavy, but nice and broken in, as there is no finish left on the back of the neck, still have the OHSC in great shape. This model has black speckled paint and added ding marks So I guess this guitar came reliced' prolly the first of it's kind back then... Were "The Paul" models done the same way?

Brians Evil Twin

Poophoria Sōtō Zen
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
I didn't mean to post and assume that this is "The Paul" guitar.. although I am somewhat confused? did one model replace the other, or were they produced at the same time?

Gibson The Paul - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

This model has black speckled paint and added ding marks So I guess this guitar came reliced' prolly the first of it's kind back then... Were "The Paul" models done the same way?

No (factory) ding marks or speckled paint on my '78 The Paul.

Dharma66

Reaction score
Indeed not.

I'm pretty sure the 'speckled' paint and dings would not be factory features.

MikeyTheCat

Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
I got to try one of these at a jam this past weekend and was impressed. I remember (foolishly) scoffing at these when they were first out and forgot about them, but now that I've played one this is the Les Paul that I want. I'm also kicking myself for not buying one back in 80's when I had the chance.

Did Gibson ever do a good reissue of these, and is the body mahogany or walnut?

HardCore Troubadour

Reaction score
The "standard" is walnut....the 'Deluxe" model is mahogany....no reissues, nut you can find these from time to time...I have bought a 78 The Paul and an 80 Firebrand, both in the last 2 years....both less than.....well lets just say t was less than 1K total.....I actually bought the Firebrand 3 months ago for my guitar player....he loves it.

be patient, have cash....enjoy!

Salamae

Reaction score
I've seen several Firebrands with that speckled paint look as well. Here's a few examples:
DSCF4983.jpg

IMG_2716_1024x1024.jpg

gyqvu66ijalvgw9kot4j.jpg

HardCore Troubadour

Reaction score
surethiing bro...I will keep my eye out for you...

yes, they are "speckled".....

mineral spots in the wood.....not paint.

MikeyTheCat

Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
The irony is that I've been bitching for years now how Gibson doesn't make a simple good quality Les Paul, with a belly cut, a carve and a "fixed" neck angle. And it turns out they did, 30 years ago, and I turned my nose up at it.:facepalm:

I still hold the belief that the Norlin years were some of the best and most innovative for the company. Just so many cool products that were under-appreciated at the time (myself included).

Salamae

Reaction score
I still hold the belief that the Norlin years were some of the best and most innovative for the company. Just so many cool products that were under-appreciated at the time (myself included).

100% agree. I'd take my The Paul over a modern Studio any day. My simplified view is that Norlin designed complete guitars, each with its own purpose, and made them the best they could be for that purpose. Henry J's Gibson only makes a few basic models, and differentiates by not finishing the cheap stuff.

Back then, if you wanted a good but moderately priced guitar, you could get a Marauder, S-1, The Paul, etc. Even a cheaper model was the real deal. Now you just have to settle for unfinished versions of the Les Paul and SG.

MikeyTheCat

Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
Those were really good moderately priced guitars that had their own funky vibe going with Bill Lawrence doing some cool stuff on a budget.

Henry J's Gibson only makes a few basic models, and differentiates by not finishing the cheap stuff.
Spot on and I couldn't agree more!

The Ballzz

Reaction score
My 1980 Firebrand is my hands down, go to guitar! Even though I WANT to like some of my other guitars more, that Firebrand, with it's genuine PAFS in it, simply rocks my world!:naughty: The T-Tops that were in it are currently in my Black, 88 Studio, boat anchor. Sounds fantastic but weighs a ton!

IMG_2025.jpg

madmusicltd, please note that my Firebrand has the same pinky finger divot, under the pickups, as yours!:cool:
Gene

Latest Threads