NGD '65 Melody Maker!

BWOTW

Reaction score
Just got this '65 Melody maker a few days ago and I've been enjoying the hell out of it!

Seems to be all stock but the black tuner buttons. Pickup, bridge and tuners will all be upgraded at some point, but for now, I'm having a blast with it.

Pickup sounds great direct to the PC, like in the vid, but with an amp at full blast, it's not that usable (low output, considerable hum and squeals). Might go full 70's and route it for a Dimarzio SuperD :D

Love the deep cherry finish, the fast neck (still has the full width nut) and the feather-weight (2,4kg - 5.2 lbs)

Last edited:

BWOTW

Reaction score
A bit more in-depth:

This is the original case. Love the Gibson logo inside, but obviously it's not gig-worthy. I tried to fit it in my LP Junior case, but the horns are too wide. How do people transport these?

Pretty sure this is Brazilian rosewood (was discontinued around that time). Never owned an Indian RW with that kind of long pores

Pots (500k volume, 250k tone) are Centralab and date to Feb. and March '65

Very slight fading, lovely checking on the one piece body and some laquer on the strap pins ;)

Looks like it has had Schallers or something at some point. The holes are enlarged on the back, but not enough to fit modern Grovers or bolt style Gibson tuners

Some pics of the hardware

LSAR

Reaction score
Beautiful!

At the end of the day it's your call but I think it'd be a shame to route that one - maybe try to find an earlier MM pickup (I believe they're a higher output) or a modern higher output single coil like a DiMarzio SDS-1? Just a thought. HNGD!

bossaddict

@david.beason on IG
Premium Member
Reaction score
Nice! I wouldn't route it either. Congrats and thanks for the vid!

studio1087

Reaction score
That's very special. I wouldn't route it. Original condition is so cool. When another one is gone then another one is gone. That's a very nice guitar.

Bobby Mahogany

Reaction score
Yep!
Super nice!
Sound great.

:thumb:
I vote no routing too!
There are plenty of compatible MM pups with different specs / output.
Preserve this one!
:D

judson

Reaction score
very very nice, i started looking at those vintage MM after the juniors were getting a bit pricey for my taste, that single coil sounded great...that was direct into computer thru an interface?

now you got me goin back again to look....vintage works for me :h5:

bum

Reaction score
Don't route it, it's just an awesome guitar and you have so many other options to explore

charlie chitlins

Reaction score
A MM wraparound bridge needs no update.
Simple and elegant.
You may, however want to update to a similar style compensated for a plain G.
I got the one for my '65 Firebird from Philadelphia Luthier Supply.

BWOTW

Reaction score
I'll wait a bit 'til I do something irreversible but, if this turns out to be the keeper it's appearing to be, I won't mind the route. The Super Distortion is one of my favourite humbuckers and I think a cream one would look awesome here.

Might try something else in the meantime, though. The strat pickups fit, but the adjustment screws are not in the same place, so that'll be a headache, I'm sure. Mini hums fit in the original route, too.

very very nice, i started looking at those vintage MM after the juniors were getting a bit pricey for my taste, that single coil sounded great...that was direct into computer thru an interface?

now you got me goin back again to look....vintage works for me :h5:
Thanks! Yes, straight into the sound interface. The sim's Guitar Rig.

A MM wraparound bridge needs no update.
Simple and elegant.
You may, however want to update to a similar style compensated for a plain G.
I got the one for my '65 Firebird from Philadelphia Luthier Supply.
That's the one I'm looking for at the moment. Though I kinda like the TonePros adjustable wraparound that I got on my Junior... Might go for one of those (more cash, though)

charlie chitlins

Reaction score
BTW...That's a fine sound you're getting out of that thing.
Good playing, too.
Great Ronson/Ralphs thing going.
I recently scored an SG200.
Weird fugly mofo, but it has those MM pickups and it's deadly for slide.
Can't wait to gig it.
Have fun!

XpensiveWino

Reaction score
FWIW the Seymour Duncan Quarter pounder strat pickup fits straight in with no mods. 13k resistance on a single coil with quarter inch slug magnets. You might give it a go. I'm more of a P90/low wind PAF kind of guy on these, but here's a shot of mine. Food for thought. Killer looking MM you've got!
IMG_20180327_144211827~2.jpg
IMG_20180327_144216956~2.jpg
IMG_20180327_144238103~2.jpg

BWOTW

Reaction score
FWIW the Seymour Duncan Quarter pounder strat pickup fits straight in with no mods. 13k resistance on a single coil with quarter inch slug magnets. You might give it a go. I'm more of a P90/low wind PAF kind of guy on these, but here's a shot of mine. Food for thought. Killer looking MM you've got!
View attachment 299929 View attachment 299930 View attachment 299931
I love the Quarter Pound, the other gutiar player in my band has the Tele version in his Am. Standard and it rocks. Screws and everything line up? Can you adjust height normally?

XpensiveWino

Reaction score
I love the Quarter Pound, the other gutiar player in my band has the Tele version in his Am. Standard and it rocks. Screws and everything line up? Can you adjust height normally?
Yup, the two screws raise and lower with no issue. I might have my quarter pounder up for sale before long. Thinking of trying some different options on mine. A P90 or Lollar Tele bridge pick up is destined for mine. Looking for non-routing options on mine as well.

kasu

Reaction score
Awesome! Heck if these arent my favourite Gibson model. I agree that it would be a shame to route it. There are plenty of other options.
Ive got a 65 as well. Ive been using both the stock pup as well as the recent SC from a 2007, (had a pickguard made for it). The newer one sounds great, to me at least. Right now Im considering trying a mini humbucker.