NGD! 60th Anniversary ‘59- Gloss vs. VOS

deanmichael90

Reaction score
Hi all,

just wanted to take this opportunity to celebrate my NGD and post a few pics!

The new guitar is a 60th anniversary ‘59 in gloss cherry teaburst (I fixed the crooked pick guard following the initial pics). The old is is the same year/model but VOS kindred burst. Which do you guys prefer??

it is amazing how consistent the quality is on this line.I love my kindred burst and this gloss cherry one feels and sounds equally good (though the tone is of course slightly different- a bit more bell like and clear).
D853D783-6F63-4462-B332-46A500BC8525.jpeg
247A6F09-CEDA-4E83-99BF-4D4BBF0127D2.jpeg
E7A8FB12-BB7C-464C-BFDC-16C91D405366.jpeg

Attachments

deanmichael90

Reaction score
Thanks for the replies! It's funny, I always preferred the gloss versions, thinking 'I'll age it myself', and really didn't like the look of the VOS models (particularly the artificially rusted metals bits). And so I sort of reluctantly purchased the VOS kindred burst. But man has it grown on me, and quickly. It now feels like an old friend, i'm so comfortable with it in my hands. Saying nothing of the tones, which are exactly what I want out of a les paul.

The cherry teaburst in gloss was my top choice when i originally saw the lineup, and so I was thrilled when I found this one.

In terms of tonal differences... its actually hard to tell if the difference I am perceiving with my ears live in a room isn't just a placebo effect of the shininess of the gloss making me think its brighter... The kindred burst is definitely louder at the same levels.

Will be interesting to see which one I reach for more often over the long term. This weekend its been all about the gloss :)

cherrysunburst00

TUBE AMP JUNKIE FOR LIFE
Silver Supporting Member
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I much prefer gloss as well. Just different tastes.

Both are beautiful!

JeffH66

Pelham Blue Addict
Reaction score
I typically prefer VOS finishes, but I almost always prefer Cherry finishes, and that cherry burst and the top are just killer. I badly want one more Les Paul in my life, and I would love for it to be a 59’ or R0 in just the right shade of Heritage Cherry.

Congrats on finding a beauty.

danzego

Reaction score
I really don’t care whether it’s gloss or VOS. I’ve had both and once you work the neck in over a few weeks on the VOS, I barely think of the difference. The difference used to be much less subtle, but now, other than the hardware having the haziness, VOS is fairly subtle.

Out of these two, I prefer the Kindred. I like darker bursts. I’d have to see it in person though. On my hunt for a CS RI this year, I had (and returned) a gloss Kindred that took amazing pictures, but was hard to look at in person. It was very gold and shiny in person and just didn’t look right given what I was expecting from the pictures I saw that led to me buying it.

Last edited:

jk60LPTH

Reaction score
I have both gloss and VOS LPs... I tend to like less shiny stuff in general, not fond cars with a lot of chrome, etc. Satin would be my favorite finish, if that was an option. I am more fond of VOS LPs... maybe because it reflects my own 'VOS' personal finish.

dasherf17

Reaction score
Hi all,

just wanted to take this opportunity to celebrate my NGD and post a few pics!

The new guitar is a 60th anniversary ‘59 in gloss cherry teaburst (I fixed the crooked pick guard following the initial pics). The old is is the same year/model but VOS kindred burst. Which do you guys prefer??

it is amazing how consistent the quality is on this line.I love my kindred burst and this gloss cherry one feels and sounds equally good (though the tone is of course slightly different- a bit more bell like and clear). View attachment 501372 View attachment 501373 View attachment 501370
Gorgeous looking guitars, both of them...
I, myself, like the "lived-in" look...

Latest Threads