NGD 60's Tribute 2013 in Australia

inty

Reaction score
I bought this about 6 weeks ago, took me that long to figure out what NGD means :applause:

In 2007 I got my first les paul, an epi which turned out to be a fake (I didn't even know fakes existed back then) and also really injured my elbow at the time which still haunts me. So I hadnt really played since then. Recently I could play about 30 mins a day, I only had one set of strings left for the speedloader warlock so I couldnt use that (they are meant to be back in production soon, been waiting for years) my old b'c rich was a mess, needed rewiring and a new jack and a fret job.

The fake les paul was still making me feel bad, although it plays quite well the nut on it is terrible and most my practice was spent tuning.

So I needed a new guitar, and it needed to be genuine and it was about time I had something made in usa after playing for 25 years. So I studied as much as I could and decided a wine red 2014 LPJ with the zebras was the guitar for me.

So after being unable to find one online I went to Melbourne and seen mostly 2012 and 2013 models. After playing a 2nd gen prs se orianthi for a bit (fantastic guitar, average pickups) They offered to sell me a 60's tribute for half price (making way for the 2014 models which hadn't arrived yet)

Soon as I plugged into the shops diamond spitfire half stack I was in love with the sound :slash: , was night and day after the PRS and I nailed a lick that I had never got right before. So I bought my first Gibson.

I don't what it is about it, but even unplugged it sounds amazing. Even with all my guitars tuned the same and intonated with new strings, an open chord on the gibson just sounds better.

After playing it for 6 weeks now the only thing I don't love about it, is the fret ends are a little sharp. Anyway on with the show, for those who don't know it's 60's style neck with burstbucker 1 and burstbucker 2, traditional weight relief, vintage gloss nitro, rosewood fingerboard, jumbo frets, plek cut corian nut and grover kidney tuners.

CIMG0679.jpg

925371_1457727531181031_468629130_n.jpg

10554036_692802094124227_557421295_n.jpg

CIMG0674.jpg

CIMG0677.jpg

CIMG0678.jpg

Reaction score
It's a gorgeous guitar, I'll give you that. Am I the only one that finds it absolutely ****ing stupid that Gibson will charge $600+ for these guitars but they can't even finish the fret ends properly? I've never had an Epiphone with fret ends that were sharp but this "high quality" American guitar frequently comes with blemishes. Be it fret ends or ****ed up binding or overspray like a ****ing nightmare. I just find it amazing that they can still get people to ****ing buy these things new. Granted, 8/10 times these guitars are fine but that 2/10 times is enough for me.
AND they just raised the prices.
**** Gibson, **** the price raise. I'm only buying used if I want any more Gibsons and I'm never buying new again. I'd rather give my money to Epiphone and let Gibson leech their 50%.

Avocab

Banned
Reaction score
It's a gorgeous guitar, I'll give you that. Am I the only one that finds it absolutely ****ing stupid that Gibson will charge $600+ for these guitars but they can't even finish the fret ends properly? I've never had an Epiphone with fret ends that were sharp but this "high quality" American guitar frequently comes with blemishes. Be it fret ends or ****ed up binding or overspray like a ****ing nightmare. I just find it amazing that they can still get people to ****ing buy these things new. Granted, 8/10 times these guitars are fine but that 2/10 times is enough for me.
**** Gibson, **** the price raise. I'm only buying used if I want any more Gibsons and I'm never buying new again. I'd rather give my money to Epiphone and let Gibson leech their 50%.

You want a Guitar, Gibson USA and Quality?

Pick two.

Rocco Crocco

Reaction score

Fret ends sprout when the neck dries out a little well after the guitar has been manufactured. Its not a big deal and can be fixed easily if you have a small file and 10 minutes. No need to shit on a guy's new guitar day thread by complaining about GC and prices on the 2015s.

OP... nice guitar, What pickups are in it? I have a 2013 LPJ (490r and 498t PUs) and it looks similar, and plays & sounds incredible. Congratulations!

Avocab

Banned
Reaction score
The shrinkage is not uncommon and can happen on many guitars. I can recall Gibson kiln drying their boards to reduce this effect. Nothing to be concerned about OP.
Keep it in its case when you're not playing it and keep it away from dry areas.
There's enough moisture indoors (unless you have the heater going 24hrs) to put some moisture back in - so it should come good.
Ignore my comment above and play the tits off it. :)

Rocco
In all seriousness, you don't expect someone to take home a brand new $1000 + guitar and get to work on it with a file?:cool:

inty

Reaction score
Fret ends sprout when the neck dries out a little well after the guitar has been manufactured. Its not a big deal and can be fixed easily if you have a small file and 10 minutes. No need to shit on a guy's new guitar day thread by complaining about GC and prices on the 2015s.

OP... nice guitar, What pickups are in it? I have a 2013 LPJ (490r and 498t PUs) and it looks similar, and plays & sounds incredible. Congratulations!

Thanks, it has burstbucker 1 and burstbucker 2 pickups, I recently leveled and dressed the frets on my vintage bc.rich (first time, turned out pretty well) so I don't mind fooling with things. It's more of a case of the frets being sharp, as opposed to them sticking out of the wood, I spent about 30 mins with a jewellery file today cleaned the ends up a bit.

Since I have a year before we get 2015 models I might even still get an LPJ 2014 when I see one on sale.

Guitars are not so cheap in Australia, this one RRP for $2000 (about 1800 usd) from the reviews I watched online Gibson isn't exactly known for smooth frets the last few years

psara

Reaction score
looks sweet inty, congrats.

I had my eye on a 60's Tribute at my local and have been waiting for them to go on sale too.

Latest Threads