NGD 59 Standard YAY

rbraad68

Reaction score
ok guys it's here !! well right out of the box the action is high and the frets are seriously scratchy!! what ever you guys were talking about with the pick up rings?? I think they owe me some pickup rings for damm sure.I think i got cheated on the top really isn't much there for flames or anything else. doesn't bother me too much though. i'm going to have to rip the strings off there is no way i can play it like this the frets are scratchy big time.To me it looks like this has been ope and stuck back in the box. there was no cheese foam thingy the guitar usually comes in there was no foam on the toggle switch like there usually is on all the other guitars ive bought in the past. i checked it out head to toe using my little flash light everything seems well no cracks nothing like that.. atleast not that i have noticed yet... Here are a few pics i'll post more in a little bit0. i haven't even got my work boots off yet...

Attachments

rbraad68

Reaction score
ok heres some more pictures. found a little blimish above the toggle switch deff need to talk to my sales guy. need to get some money off or something. i'm not returnung this thing for that. pickup rings aremessed up but i kinda already knew that from you guys talking about it. need to ask you guys who you called and how do i get some replacement rings. OH on a positive note it's a 21 01 so it's a january baby and my first guitar to have the 2021 date yay !! ok guys i'll post more later. i already have the strings off the frets were that bad i need to polish them and set this guitar up it plays awefull right now...

Attachments

LuckyDan

Reaction score
That IS a much plainer top than any I've seen yet, but it looks good. Is it possible you got a solid cap with no veneer? Cus that would actually be pretty cool. But yeah you definitely have partial refund coming with those pickup frames and the nick.

Odd too that your action is high. Most comments I've read have talked about how low it is and how flat the board is. Definitely sounds like somebody has been at it before it got to you.

Still, a nice guitar. That scratchiness will play out pretty quickly. Congratulations.

rbraad68

Reaction score
That IS a much plainer top than any I've seen yet, but it looks good. Is it possible you got a solid cap with no veneer? Cus that would actually be pretty cool. But yeah you definitely have partial refund coming with those pickup frames and the nick.

Odd too that your action is high. Most comments I've read have talked about how low it is and how flat the board is. Definitely sounds like somebody has been at it before it got to you.

Still, a nice guitar. That scratchiness will play out pretty quickly. Congratulations.
oh i'm pretty sure it's veneer.. i thought that the top was a little plain too.. i don't mind that so much... judging by the scratchiness of the frets i don't think it's been played to much before i got it. i got the strings off it now i'm going to hit the frets with some steel whool and oil the board. once i restring it i hope to address some of the issues and see if i can get her to play right.. i don't see anything that will cause it not too.

cliffenstein

Reaction score
You gonna compare the neck profile of this new 59 with your two 50's standards?

Pop1655

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Sounds like you're not happy. I'd send it back and try another.
Agree. You’ve got plenty others to play with. Sneak some strings back on there and stick it in the box. I wouldn’t be down with the flaw or the overly scratchy frets.

EpiLP1985

They call me Derek.
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
Agree. You’ve got plenty others to play with. Sneak some strings back on there and stick it in the box. I wouldn’t be down with the flaw or the overly scratchy frets.
I have to agree here.

I was prepared to do the same with my 50s Standard because I had never purchased online before. I got a killer looking veneer and the guitar itself was flawless.

I wouldn't settle, especially considering how many people got really killer versions of this. Let them know tyou think it might have been previously returned and call it a day.

This could also signal a downturn in the 59 Standard quality given the long back orders and rush to get them to market.

Geezer101

Reaction score
As others have said the UK market is saturated with these now and I aint seeing them fly off the shelves like they did a few months ago.

rbraad68

Reaction score
I'm keeping the guitar guys. the scratchy frets are easy to fix . the blemish i'll have to live with BUT i just got off the phone with MF and talked to a supervisor i had to e-mail the pics of the blemish. i wound up getting the guitar for 624 bucks plust tax ofcourse.. that is fine with me now i can get on with cleaning up the frets putting the tone pro bridge pieces on and stringing her up. the guitar looks good i like the neck it's nothing like the 50s in my opinion. the neck seems like it has alot of shoulder to it. it's almost like it's a beefier version of my 60s to be honest. let me get the strings on it and playable and i'll try to do a comparison between my 50s and this 59....

LuckyDan

Reaction score
I'm keeping the guitar guys. the scratchy frets are easy to fix . the blemish i'll have to live with BUT i just got off the phone with MF and talked to a supervisor i had to e-mail the pics of the blemish. i wound up getting the guitar for 624 bucks plust tax ofcourse.. that is fine with me now i can get on with cleaning up the frets putting the tone pro bridge pieces on and stringing her up. the guitar looks good i like the neck it's nothing like the 50s in my opinion. the neck seems like it has alot of shoulder to it. it's almost like it's a beefier version of my 60s to be honest. let me get the strings on it and playable and i'll try to do a comparison between my 50s and this 59....
I'd keep it too. That top is handsome. I smoothed out my scratchy frets by playing half-step box scales up and down the neck as a warm up for the first few days. MF treated you right.

Last edited:

rbraad68

Reaction score
I honestly think the top looks good to . i mean it's a veneer top anyways if it were a real book marked top then i might feel a little cheated. Is it my imagination or are the head stocks wider on these models? i need to find my tape measure cause the neck looks wider than my 50's it's got real nice beefy frets on this thing too. I got about half way done with the frets last night i'll have to finish them tonight. I can't wait to get the strings back on this thing and check it out. I really love my 50's but i'm getting the vibe that this 59 is going to be nice too... i'll post more later when I get off work and have a chance to actually play the thing..,

Pop1655

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Glad that worked out for you. Sounds like you're in it right. I'm a fan of the top. I prefer plain tops in general. They seem more legit to me.

Latest Threads