NGD: 59 Junior!

Metlking

Reaction score
So I finally picked up a "bucket-list" guitar after a few years of casual searching for the right one at the right price! Its a 59' Junior! Appears to be all original, possibly the jack plate is not, its too clean! I took a peek at the pickup and it looks as if I'm the first one to see it since it was installed 60 years ago! Its got this white crusty gunk all over the base plate. The guitar is a player, and it shows. Someone or several people have enjoyed it in its lifetime.

Its darker sounding than I expected. When I fist plugged it in a hit a few chords I reached for the tone control thinking it was turned down but it wasn't. I can compensate by boosting the presence on my amp, but I expected the P-90 to "cut" more than it does. I have owned a few P-90 guitars but nothing "vintage". Is this normal or? I was thinking the magnets have weakened considerably in 60 years and it might cause this.

Anyway.....pictures!

s-l1600 (4).jpg s-l1600 (3).jpg s-l1600 (8).jpg s-l1600.jpg

Attachments

stringbender11

Reaction score
Can't answer your questions, but man is that thing sweet. I plan on getting a Jr myself eventually.

58 special

Reaction score
All the hardware looks exceptionally clean.
Screws all look new like they've never had a screw driver on them except once.
No patina no oxidation no grit or grime.
very nice.

ARandall

Reaction score
P90 mags are certainly candidates for demagnetising. I bought a 50's P90 wiring harness, and during the checkover one of the mags was found to be down to about 10% charge.

Pete M

Reaction score
Great looking Junior! The vintage P90s in my special could only do clean and quiet when I first plugged it in. I charged up all 4 mags and never looked back. It's easy to do too. I think there's something about there being 2 magnets in a P90 that mess with each other over time, but I could be wrong.

Dilver

Reaction score
Congrats! Looks awesome. I’d love a vintage Junior... some day.

BSeneca

Reaction score
Congratulations buddy! You are going to LOVE this guitar. I have a 58. Been playing through a 59 or 60 Gibson Ranger amp. Total bliss! Enjoy, Brian

capnjim

Reaction score
Did you try raising the screws by the high strings?
Nice geetar. A good zap of black tremclad and it will look like new.

Droog

Reaction score
Looks great, just like my old Junior. For what it's worth mine isn't dark or muddy, but not bright either. Like what was said, I'd check the pickup height.

red_house356

Reaction score
Congrats on the NGD. There's a possibility that the magnets have weaken over time. If you don't feel comfortable doing it yourself, send it over to James at Rewind. He did some upkeep for my '56 p90/harness, nothing but good work.

If all else fails, could just be that your Jr. is on the warm side. I've had two '56 Juniors and one had an upper mid emphasize with great note separation. The other one had a killer low mid grind that was a joy to play. Sometimes, they just vary. Enjoy her in good health!

joeh77

Reaction score
This year I will turn 60 (UGGH!!). My hope is to finally get a birth year guitar. Since a 1959 Burst is just a bit beyond the reach of my bank account, I have been thinking of other options. A Junior has certainly crossed my mind, and it looks like you've found a very good example of that model/year here!

Congrats and enjoy!

yamariv

Reaction score
HNGD OP! Must be something off with your pickup cause my 60 Junior's pickup is the most aggressive full sounding P90 I own by far.. It's an absolute beast, seriously. I own a 54, 62 and a nice handwound modern version and none push the front end of the amp like my 1960. Send yours to James at Rewind and that guitar will be one of the best sounding Rock machines you've ever heard. Keep us posted!

decoy205

Reaction score
Congrats! I love juniors. I think vintage p90s are warmer than new ones and they still cut.