NGD: '59 Burst replica with antique wood

Duane_the_tub

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
Alrighty, this bad boy is officially getting a replacement bridge courtesy of Four Uncles Restorations. I had an enlightening conversation with the "fourth uncle" today about metallurgy, and how these are the closest-to-original repro ABR-1s on the market. I'm psyched to see what difference it makes.

@Dave Stephens , here is that replica I was telling you about...

Central Scrutinizer

Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
Just had to check back on this thread.

Amazing guitar, spectacular!

It was great you were able to pick the wood for the build, not by just looking on a computer, but actually digging through the lumber.

I restore antique Indian Motocycles (no “R”, that’s how Indian spelled it). When I go to swap meets, I always dig around and look in the baskets/buckets under the tables, that’s where the good stuff is. The best things involve some “digging”.

Like a proud papa, i am enjoying watching and hearing about your progress!

gbo10

Reaction score
Alrighty, this bad boy is officially getting a replacement bridge courtesy of Four Uncles Restorations. I had an enlightening conversation with the "fourth uncle" today about metallurgy, and how these are the closest-to-original repro ABR-1s on the market. I'm psyched to see what difference it makes.

I just got one of those bridges as well. Can’t wait to install it and see how much of a difference it makes. It looks legit!

Duane_the_tub

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
Sure would be nice if Four Uncles Restorations had even a rudimentary website.
Not surprising that they don't. They're essentially producing a counterfeit part, with a "Gibson ABR-1" logo on the bottom.

That said, they are very responsive to direct messages on FB.

mortors

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score

Are you in a hurry for Four Uncles bridge? I may know a guy

JMP

Reaction score
Stunning, mind blowing! Congratulations, Adam!

I’m curious how long it takes a master builder to pull something like this together/ general turn around time?

In your opinion, how does the replica compare to some of the Gibson reissues you’ve had?

Again, congratulations!

Duane_the_tub

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
Stunning, mind blowing! Congratulations, Adam!

I’m curious how long it takes a master builder to pull something like this together/ general turn around time?

In your opinion, how does the replica compare to some of the Gibson reissues you’ve had?

Again, congratulations!
Thanks, Jason. This one took just under six months, from the time I sent in the wood and parts to when I received the finished guitar.

Recency bias is very real of course, but this guitar has taken over my "No. 1 Burst" spot and I'd bet it will likely stay there. I love my Historics, but this one just feels different. I think the thin, non-plasticized nitro plays a big part in that. It's closer to an HM than a Historic in that regard.

It plays and sounds amazing. Some of that is the pickups, naturally - these ReWinds are wonderful - but even the best pickups sounds different in different guitars and this whole setup just works. My '99 R9 (my reigning No. 1) with vintage wire Mojos is still a phenomenal Burst, and A/B'ing them last night for a few hours left me thinking that they're a worthy comparison, but different.

Having played a few real Bursts over the years, I can unequivocally say that the replica is closer in look and feel - not really surprising given the specs on the '99, but I'd also say in comparison to my most recent Historics ('18, '20, '22) as well. This builder really nails that vintage vibe.

JMP

Reaction score
Thanks, Jason. This one took just under six months, from the time I sent in the wood and parts to when I received the finished guitar.

Recency bias is very real of course, but this guitar has taken over my "No. 1 Burst" spot and I'd bet it will likely stay there. I love my Historics, but this one just feels different. I think the thin, non-plasticized nitro plays a big part in that. It's closer to an HM than a Historic in that regard.

It plays and sounds amazing. Some of that is the pickups, naturally - these ReWinds are wonderful - but even the best pickups sounds different in different guitars and this whole setup just works. My '99 R9 (my reigning No. 1) with vintage wire Mojos is still a phenomenal Burst, and A/B'ing them last night for a few hours left me thinking that they're a worthy comparison, but different.

Having played a few real Bursts over the years, I can unequivocally say that the replica is closer in look and feel - not really surprising given the specs on the '99, but I'd also say in comparison to my most recent Historics ('18, '20, '22) as well. This builder really nails that vintage vibe.
Thanks for taking the time for a thoughtful response. Much appreciated!

And thank you for the killer post. Us regular ole’ hobby players get to live vicariously via posts like this!

Duane_the_tub

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
A few people have asked me about perceived differences from the old wood. I can say that this guitar vibrates like crazy - up the neck into the fretting hand but also against the ribs and knee. I don't know how much of that is this old slab of mahogany, but it definitely contributes to the sound.

1668040861870.jpg

Bobby Mahogany

Reaction score
A few people have asked me about perceived differences from the old wood. I can say that this guitar vibrates like crazy - up the neck into the fretting hand but also against the ribs and knee. I don't know how much of that is this old slab of mahogany, but it definitely contributes to the sound.

View attachment 648351
I believe in wood.
:thumb:

And so does my wife.
:fingersx:

Shelkonnery

Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
Another amazing project and documentation.
Thanks for sharing it with us and congrats, such an unique instrument!

Latest Threads