NGD: '59 Burst replica with antique wood

fernieite

Reaction score
Wow, what a beauty! What parts did you go with this time? I know you sold lots of your vintage stuff recently.

Glad the ReWinds are working for you. ( I really love my low wind A2 set!) You've had actual Pafs and patent numbers, so you know what sounds right.

Congrats man!

dompolito

Reaction score
Spectacular guitar.
There is something to be said about being involved in sourcing out the wood etc.
I have seen many of these type of guitars posted on this forum, but seldom ever get to hear what they sound like. Any chance of doing a video for us. Would love to hear if it sounds as good as it looks.
Cheers and congrats!

CoolRene

Reaction score
I shared a couple pics of this guitar in other threads, but here it is in its full glory. This is a '59 Burst replica for which I sourced antique wood. Not old-growth wood as is typically used in builds like this but actual vintage lumber that was milled decades ago, including a gorgeous piece of 100-year-old mahogany for the body. The finished guitar:

View attachment 646038

Over the years I've developed a friendship with one of the well-known replica builders, and I know that his health isn't the greatest and that he is approaching the end of his days of building great Bursts. I wanted to have one more of his guitars before he retired from the business, and I wanted it to be special. I decided to seek out the oldest and best wood I could find for the build.

A luthier I know likes to say, "the wood in a guitar has to be old enough to have forgotten that it's a tree." Old mahogany - instrument grade as opposed to furniture grade - has become very hard to find. I struck gold when a local luthier supply shop got in a bunch of century-old 'hog salvaged from a steam engine factory in upstate NY.

View attachment 646039
View attachment 646040

I sorted through every bit of it to find the best combination of weight and grain type/orientation. The ideal piece was light and tight, and even has some flame to it!

View attachment 646041

Brazilian rosewood is always a crapshoot from any of the online suppliers, but as luck would have it the same shop had just taken delivery of multiple pallets of salvaged old Braz that I was once again allowed to sort through myself. As soon as I found this piece, it was game over: Jet black and rail straight, without so much as a hint of streaking. Really does look like ebony. It's the one on the far right in this first photo:

View attachment 646042
View attachment 646043
View attachment 646044

The maple took the longest to find. I must have looked at 500 curly maple billets, maybe more, from suppliers near and far before I happened upon this one and fell in love at first sight.

View attachment 646045
View attachment 646046

I originally wanted a deep honeyburst color with brown around the edges, but the builder talked me into dirty lemon on account of it showing off the flame top better. He was absolutely right!

View attachment 646048

For pickups, I went with ReWind True Kalamazoos from esteemed forum brother @cooljuk. These were spec'd to replicate a Burst in the 9 0900 serial range, so I used that exact number for the serial on the guitar, too. A match made in Heaven.

View attachment 646049
View attachment 646050

The last guitar I commissioned from this builder had kind of a thick Nitro finish, so this time I asked him to keep is as thin as possible. The results are amazing - the thin Nitro has already checked beautifully, and together with the rolled binding edges it really does look and feel like a very old Lester.

View attachment 646054
View attachment 646055

The finished guitar is just beautiful. Looks great, feels amazing and sounds awesome. Weighs in at 8.5 pounds, perfect "full '59" neck carve and graceful dish carve on the top. It's a work of art that I'll treasure from a guy I'm glad to call a friend.

View attachment 646056
View attachment 646057
View attachment 646058
View attachment 646142
Awesome build ! Such a refinement in the details… Just beautiful: Kudos !

DBDM

Reaction score
Congrats. Best about it is that you had it made to your liking by a friend. No scenario that does not make it sound better and insipries you. I have 2 guitars that have similar back stories and (to me) they are my best sounding guitars. You might think they sound pedistrian but to me they are perfect--and they are mine. Same with this one. It is truely YOURS. (and beautiful). Make sure your kids know it is never to be sold unless it comes down to medical starvation vs selling it. Good guitars are built to last 200+ years. Make sure the story is written down so that future generations in 175 years are discussing Grandpa "Duane-the-tub".

J557

Reaction score
That is a great story and the guitar is really really beautiful. Congrats and if you’re able please post a sound bite, we’d all love to hear it.

DBDM

Reaction score
Congrats. Best about it is that you had it made to your liking by a friend. No scenario that does not make it sound better and insipries you. I have 2 guitars that have similar back stories and (to me) they are my best sounding guitars. You might think they sound pedistrian but to me they are perfect--and they are mine. Same with this one. It is truely YOURS. (and beautiful). Make sure your kids know it is never to be sold unless it comes down to medical starvation vs selling it. Good guitars are built to last 200+ years. Make sure the story is written down so that future generations in 175 years are discussing Grandpa "Duane-the-tub".
Edit--I would print those photos on archival grade photo paper. They will be useful. I would also include a warning about Brazillian being on the CITES list and not traveling with that guitar (without a permit). And FULL documentation of where you acquired the wood (full, exaustive, documentation of the source of the Brazillian). I would fear your grandson taking it to Europe and getting it seized. (Hint--they usually DONT give it back!). It does not LOOK like Brazillian which I think is an advantage here. Horror stories of musicians taking them to certain places and never seeing their guitars again.

palmerfralick

Reaction score
I shared a couple pics of this guitar in other threads, but here it is in its full glory. This is a '59 Burst replica for which I sourced antique wood. Not old-growth wood as is typically used in builds like this but actual vintage lumber that was milled decades ago, including a gorgeous piece of 100-year-old mahogany for the body. The finished guitar:

View attachment 646038

Over the years I've developed a friendship with one of the well-known replica builders, and I know that his health isn't the greatest and that he is approaching the end of his days of building great Bursts. I wanted to have one more of his guitars before he retired from the business, and I wanted it to be special. I decided to seek out the oldest and best wood I could find for the build.

A luthier I know likes to say, "the wood in a guitar has to be old enough to have forgotten that it's a tree." Old mahogany - instrument grade as opposed to furniture grade - has become very hard to find. I struck gold when a local luthier supply shop got in a bunch of century-old 'hog salvaged from a steam engine factory in upstate NY.

View attachment 646039
View attachment 646040

I sorted through every bit of it to find the best combination of weight and grain type/orientation. The ideal piece was light and tight, and even has some flame to it!

View attachment 646041

Brazilian rosewood is always a crapshoot from any of the online suppliers, but as luck would have it the same shop had just taken delivery of multiple pallets of salvaged old Braz that I was once again allowed to sort through myself. As soon as I found this piece, it was game over: Jet black and rail straight, without so much as a hint of streaking. Really does look like ebony. It's the one on the far right in this first photo:

View attachment 646042
View attachment 646043
View attachment 646044

The maple took the longest to find. I must have looked at 500 curly maple billets, maybe more, from suppliers near and far before I happened upon this one and fell in love at first sight.

View attachment 646045
View attachment 646046

I originally wanted a deep honeyburst color with brown around the edges, but the builder talked me into dirty lemon on account of it showing off the flame top better. He was absolutely right!

View attachment 646048

For pickups, I went with ReWind True Kalamazoos from esteemed forum brother @cooljuk. These were spec'd to replicate a Burst in the 9 0900 serial range, so I used that exact number for the serial on the guitar, too. A match made in Heaven.

View attachment 646049
View attachment 646050

The last guitar I commissioned from this builder had kind of a thick Nitro finish, so this time I asked him to keep is as thin as possible. The results are amazing - the thin Nitro has already checked beautifully, and together with the rolled binding edges it really does look and feel like a very old Lester.

View attachment 646054
View attachment 646055

The finished guitar is just beautiful. Looks great, feels amazing and sounds awesome. Weighs in at 8.5 pounds, perfect "full '59" neck carve and graceful dish carve on the top. It's a work of art that I'll treasure from a guy I'm glad to call a friend.

View attachment 646056
View attachment 646057
View attachment 646058
View attachment 646142
does the builder and the luthier supply shop prefer to remain anonymous? This specimen deserves credits.

Duane_the_tub

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
Thanks for all the kindness!
Glorious, Adam. Glad those pickups went to good use!
Thanks Matt! I couldn't have done this without your help and inspiration.
Congrats! That looks incredible.
Probably a dumb question but how does it sound? Did it meet your expectations?
It took some fine-tuning of the setup but now it's dialed in. Pickup height adjustment took a while, lots of trial and error back-and-forth between the bench and amp. The sound is ballsy. The bridge has a serious edge to it, was a bit harsh until I got it set right. Very bold sounding. Great note separation with these pickups, even with decent gain I can hear every string in a chord. More to come in that department, only been playing it a few days.
Wow, what a beauty! What parts did you go with this time? I know you sold lots of your vintage stuff recently.

Glad the ReWinds are working for you. ( I really love my low wind A2 set!) You've had actual Pafs and patent numbers, so you know what sounds right.

Congrats man!
Thanks! I just sent in a bunch of parts I had laying around and had him supplement with his usual stuff. I didn't want to go too far down the parts rabbit hole until I could play it. He mills his own tailpieces, which are awesome. The bridge is Pigtail, I think - I can tell already I'm going to replace that. It's a little too zingy. Vintage bees, and it has vintage knobs on it now (the ones from the classifieds that won't sell). Fake 58 tuners, obviously. Plastics are a mix: Bartlett rings, Mojoaxe guard, DMC switch ring, Area 59 trc I think.
does the builder and the luthier supply shop prefer to remain anonymous? This specimen deserves credits.
With replicas and Braz I'd rather not disclose openly.
What does she weigh?
It's in the post, 8.5 pounds on the nose.

xenon58

Reaction score
Stunning, just stunning! I'm from Utica as well, can't shine JB's shoes (believe me, I've tried!). I guess I missed the memo that they were tearing down the old steam engine factory. You really scored there. Congrats on your new acquisition, may we all someday revel in that kind of glory. I hope some time you get a chance to show this piece to JB himself. I'm sure he would appreciate and get a kick out of it, not to mention making you an offer you can't refuse! Seriously, what an addition to his collection that would be! Take care.

Latest Threads