NGD: 56 Les Paul Pro p90

afireinside

Reaction score
So i sold my 2018 gibby classic p90 a few weeks ago. Ive gone over to 50s necks and couldent do the 60s anymore. And the gibby p90s are way overwound bridge is brittle and nasal sounding and the neck was dark and muddy had jt for 2 years and never played it...... also I had a 2015 Gibson DC p90 i felt the same way about..... but of course i wanted a p90 again. Was looking for a seach for a el-chepo guitar and zzounds had these still (mine says 2016 on back of headstock!) Got a scratch and dent (that had neither) in chicago blue! $420 shipped! Had to a chance.

Not a mark on it, id swear its a ebony fretboard super black and no typical rosewood grain and is glass smooth p90s are what i always hear p90s should be, some bite but much more tame, full and musical then the gibbys ive played. Great fretwork, beefy neck. Color is semi transparent looks almost solid but in light you can see the plain maple grain. And light! Its as heavy as my G&L USA Legacy so a touch under 8lbs insane.

Pics

Attachments

DrBGood

Reaction score
Great find ! I love blue guitars. I need one.
Do you get the kind of almost acoustic tone on middle position ?

afireinside

Reaction score
The middle is very balanced especailly playing clean. The neck is darker of course thick and creamy but not muddy works well with the bitey/trebely bridge. I believe they had a candy apple red left too.

Also im preeeeety sure this is a accidental ebony board. I looked hard in the light there is no real grain to speak of super smooth and dark

Last edited:

fry

Reaction score
A buddy of mine had that same one. I didn’t think a thing about it until I saw it in person. I think my jaw hit the floor, it is a stunner. That’s the “pro” version, it has a nicer pickups than the earlier goal versions of that guitar. He took it to a well respected guitar shop around here for a complete setup, and the guy was thoroughly impressed with it. These are a bunch of cork sniffers, but the guy was impressed.

musicmaniac

Reaction score
Also im preeeeety sure this is a accidental ebony board. I looked hard in the light there is no real grain to speak of super smooth and dark
I've got a 2019 Custom Pro with the same type of board and nobody knows what it is. Not even Epiphone. Some say Pau Ferro and some say Rosewood. Anyways congrats!

afireinside

Reaction score
I've got a 2019 Custom Pro with the same type of board and nobody knows what it is. Not even Epiphone. Some say Pau Ferro and some say Rosewood. Anyways congrats!
The Pau Ferro is usally a very light brown this has never been oiled and is super dark charcoal/ black and near no grain. Who knows ive had a few ebony boards and this is the same or so close i cant tell

cliffenstein

Reaction score
Dang, that blue with the cream plastics and dark fretboard is all kinds of gorgeous. Congrats!!!!

afireinside

Reaction score
Nice i like the cream knobs! Or was thinking reflector knobs. Have a pic of you buddies?

fry

Reaction score
Nice i like the cream knobs! Or was thinking reflector knobs. Have a pic of you buddies?
It is long gone. He actually traded it to me for an amp, and I ended up selling the guitar. I loved the look of it, but I have never been able to get along with the noise that comes with P90’s. They have amazing tone, there’s nothing like them, but the hum drives me nuts.

cliffenstein

Reaction score
Well if they were to make that exact guitar with the new Epi headstock, it would be difficult for me to say no to yet another guitar!!!

LOSTVENTURE

Reaction score
That difference in tone, Gibson vs Epi, is the simple fact that Epi pickups are very lightly wound compared to Gibsons. Personally, I prefer the lighter winding.
the way, the same goes for BurstBuckers compred to ProBuckers. I much prefer the splittable ProBuckers.

afireinside

Reaction score
I agree the epi p90s are supposed to be identical to vintage p90s. The Gibbys are overwound and too hot I love the Epi pros

fry

Reaction score
I agree the epi p90s are supposed to be identical to vintage p90s. The Gibbys are overwound and too hot I love the Epi pros
If you’ve ever looked at a P90 without the cover, it has to be one of the least complicated devices ever created. I don’t know anything about the construction of pickups at all, but I wonder how much difference there is between a $20 P90 and a $100 P90?

LOSTVENTURE

Reaction score
If you’ve ever looked at a P90 without the cover, it has to be one of the least complicated devices ever created. I don’t know anything about the construction of pickups at all, but I wonder how much difference there is between a $20 P90 and a $100 P90?
I think $80 covers all the difference there is.

DrBGood

Reaction score
Not much. The difference is the expensive one was tweaked to get the tone the designer or client was looking for. The cheap one was just wound and if it sounds good, lucky break for him.

But I have yet to play a P90 that sounds bad.

Latest Threads