NGD: '55 Inspired Custom

allwheelz

Reaction score
I can't speak for the Lee, but i've owned one of the 55's. Pretty fat neck, which it was a nice change from my 60's classic neck. Very cool guitars, and if you haven't noticed, these guitars always create a little buzz with people whenever you bring them up. There's just something about a black paul, decked out with p-90s and gold hardware.

eeprete

Reaction score
These are such nice models. The neck feels on par with my R8, and perhaps even a touch better. Does Epi have a narrower neck/nut?

Been looking for one used as I'd like a P90 guitar.

slug_maine

Reaction score
This one already had the pups swapped out for Duncan's, which sound really good. Much better than I expected to be honest.
upload_2019-3-13_9-57-7.png

Those Duncans look anything like this? These are a set in my 73 Deluxe, the "J" indicates they were wound by Marciela Juarez, SD's winding guru. I never cared much for p90's until I played these, they're wonderful.

jimmyjames

Reaction score
'55 up for grabs at a shop here, OZ900, 200 more than I got mine for, but if anyone down under was after one...

TrippyStormtrooper

Reaction score
Looks sweet!

OP, do you have any tips for shining up flat finishes? I want to buy one of these but the matte finish turns me off a bit. If I could shine it up that would be great.

LOSTVENTURE

Reaction score
If you are looking for a shinier version, in 2011 Gibson did the same pickup treatment to their Traditional. You might get a deal on a used one.

jimmyjames

Reaction score
They weren't open to offers? Maybe later if it still hasn't moved. Gotta say though, when I first saw one (mine when it was listed on the Gummie), I had to investigate further :drool:

Oldskoolrob

Reaction score
Truth be told it's too far away - price+freight would be more than new price.... plus my Rover and my exploded hot water system are eating all my scratch at the moment.....

jimmyjames

Reaction score
Bugger....Hope another pops up for ya at a better time, keep your chin up mate :cheers2:

Oldskoolrob

Reaction score
They look right up my alley. But times are tight. A few hundred less and a few thousand km's closer and I'd chance it. It's ok - I can play a longer game :)

rockinlespaul

Oxblood Addict
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
Looks sweet!

OP, do you have any tips for shining up flat finishes? I want to buy one of these but the matte finish turns me off a bit. If I could shine it up that would be great.
Yeah, I used McGuire's Ultimate Compound followed by their Ultimate Polish.

dearlpitts

Reaction score
I almost bought one of these. I love fat necks, and P90's. But I already had an Epi 56 Pro. So I brought the 56 pro into the store and played it side by side with the 55 Custom. I had pre-negotiated a trade in deal but wanted to be sure I was trading up since I had to add cash. The 55 had a better nut, Gibson USA pickups, and a hard case. But, when played side by side, I found that the 56 had a fatter neck, and the pickups had a little more output. I decided to keep the 56, and pass on the 55. But I am positive that if I didn't have the 56, I would have the 55 by now. They are very cool.
56 is a really good guitar, especially made in korea ones.