NGD - 22 Standard in Ice Tea

Mark B.

Reaction score
Hi All,

just bought this Standard 60s in Ice Tea.

I'm used to playing my 05 Standard Faded and 05 Standard, both with 60s necks. It sure feels like a different guitar. The 2022 60s neck seems a lot chunkier than my other LPs and the neck pickup is quite harsh and lacks base?

Is that normal for new guitars?

Below is a pic of it and with my 2 other 60s Standards.

2.jpg

3.jpg

danzego

Reaction score
Could be just what you’re used to in pickups from your other guitars. Different pickups will generally require you to EQ to your liking on your amps. I also tend to keep my bridge pickup Tone rolled back a couple notches. Pretty normal stuff, really. :)

If the guitar feels and plays great and you can tell it sounds good apart from the EQ curve you’re getting from those pickups, there are plenty of other options to choose from down the road. But give it some time and see what you can do with your current ones. Once you get a chance to tweak your rig around them, you may find that you love them!

Mark B.

Reaction score
Yes it does feel quite good. I've also noticed the fret wire is smaller and not polished, which is strange.

I've got a spare older Burstbucker Pro so may swap that with the 61T at the bridge as it sounds quite shrill and lacking depth.

Last edited:

gball

Reaction score
Yes it does feel quite good. I've also noticed the fret wire is smaller and not polished, which is strange.

I've got a spare older Burstbucker Pro so may swap that with the 61T at the bridge as it sounds quite shrill and lacking depth.

Honestly, I would encourage you to spend a bit of time ( weeks or even months maybe) working to dial in the pickup.
The '61s are extremely/unusually sensitive to pickup height and overall setup, but once you get them right that neck pickup may be one of the best available in the current lineup.

InTheEvening

Reaction score

I felt the same about the 61T when I first got it. I found playing with the pickup heights helped a lot, I think I lowered it if memory serves me right. Love the pickup now…but it was definitely an acquired taste haha. Was sure I’d replace it when I got it and now it’s one of my favorite pickups.

Congrats btw! That is a gorgeous Les Paul! Especially the flame pattern. :cool:

Last edited:

Mark B.

Reaction score
Thanks for your comments.

The very small frets are taking some getting used to as well. String bending is not easy. Why on earth did Gibson reduce the size, they are medium jumbos only in name.

CB91710

Not Michael Sankar
Double Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
Thanks for your comments.

The very small frets are taking some getting used to as well. String bending is not easy. Why on earth did Gibson reduce the size, they are medium jumbos only in name.
I've not noticed them being too small on my '19
However, I was not aware that Gibson was calling those "Medium Jumbo"
The "Medium Jumbo" on my '17 Strat feel almost as good as a scalloped neck.

Mark B.

Reaction score
Yes it says the frets are medium jumbo on Gibson’s website. Maybe Gibson is cutting costs on their nickel frets.

Mark B.

Reaction score
I replaced the weedy 61 bridge pickup as it has no depth and was no good for those killer solos.
In it's place is a lead Burstbucker Pro. It now sounds raw and ready to rock.
The neck 61 pickup is really good, it has a nice bright yet deep tone so that's staying.

rjwilson37

Reaction score
Adjust your pickup height to get the clarity and punch that your looking for. The neck pickup looks lower on the low E side from your picture, that could be why it lacks bass.

Nice guitar though and congrats!

Mark B.

Reaction score
Adjust your pickup height to get the clarity and punch that your looking for. The neck pickup looks lower on the low E side from your picture, that could be why it lacks bass.

Nice guitar though and congrats!
I increased the height of the 61t bridge pickup right up and it was just weak and thin. High trebles, not much mids or base. Maybe that 61t pickup was a dud.

I find the Burstbucker Pros are a much broader, puncher sound.

What song or band do u find yourself playing?
i tend to play bands and genres on particular Lesters…

-chris

I play with a 3 piece rock band, so the bridge pickup needs to do a lot of work. We play numbers from Lynyrd Skynyrd, early ZZ Top, Molly Hatchet, early Van Halen and some of the rockier numbers from Thin Lizzy. It all gets played on the Les Paul.

That 61t would be better suited to some tinny punk band.

Christosterone

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I increased the height of the 61t bridge pickup right up and it was just weak and thin. High trebles, not much mids or base. Maybe that 61t pickup was a dud.

I find the Burstbucker Pros are a much broader, puncher sound.

I play with a 3 piece rock band, so the bridge pickup needs to do a lot of work. We play numbers from Lynyrd Skynyrd, early ZZ Top, Molly Hatchet, early Van Halen and some of the rockier numbers from Thin Lizzy. It all gets played on the Les Paul.

That 61t would be better suited to some tinny punk band.

very cool…
I tend to live on the neck pup…always enjoy hearing what people play in their new Lester’s…

very cool fade on the burst :drool:

-chris

Latest Threads