NGD: 2022 1957 Les Paul Custom Black Beauty RI VOS

Tollie

Reaction score
Happy Birthday and congrats on the new guitar. Too bad you are selling your R8. That one is really nice, too.

Rorer714

Reaction score
Took the leap and bought a VOS 57 RI Black Beauty (2 pickup) yesterday (on my 55th birthday) from Melody Music in Bloomington, IN (back in June my wife and I moved to Southern Indiana about 1.5 hours from Bloomington). Cool shop, killer selection, and great staff that were very easy going and let me noodle to my heart's content over the course of 2 days before pulling the trigger. I had been GASing for an LPC since last December-ish, and had been looking in earnest more recently. I even considered an Epiphone LPC, but knew that in the end it would only be temporary balm and that eventually I'd end just trading it in on a Gibson LPC. So I held out.

Anyway, I was cruising Reverb the other day and put a few LPCs on my watchlist. One of which was a new 2022 BB7. I noticed it was in a shop in Bloomington and was surprised to learn that it was such a well-equipped dealer of Gibson goodies. Anyway, as it turned out, they sent me an offer for 10% off the list price. I was intrigued and being so close I figured I'd just head up there at take a look. Luckily, I had to run up to Indianapolis on Monday anyway, so on my way back I stopped by Bloomington (which is right on the way) and got a chance to see/play the one I'd put on my Reverb watchlist. While there, they offered another 5% (for a total of 15%). I liked the guitar, and as good as it is to see a guitar in person and get to play it before buying it... the amps that you get to demo on are never anything like your own so I'm more likely than not to come away more confused. Such was the case with this guitar. As I said, I did like it, and I *thought* I heard some cues in its tonal character that were clues to something maybe special... but I wasn't sure... and I was unsure if I really wanted to spend the money... so I told them I'd sleep on it. Well, I slept on it and those little cues just kept playing over and over in my head... so the next day (yesterday, my birthday) I decided to run back up there and try it out again.

Well... long story short I obviously bought it :cool2: and brought it home as my 55th birthday present to me. :naughty:

After getting it home, I immediately rushed to my guitar room, and plugged it in. Moment of truth... did I really hear something special through those unfamiliar amps? Or did I just buy a dog (and if so, then I have to run back the next day 1.5 hours each way to return it)? First an E-chord. Then a G. Then a D. Then an A. What's this? This thing is spectacular right out of the gate! I mean, it was immediately evident! Like wow! I continue playing being just continually blown away by this guitar. :dude: This is the 19th Gibson LP I've owned. 12 USAs, 1 CS LPC (not a RI, just a normal LPC Silverburst) and 6 RIs (counting this one) and I've played dozens more in stores and no stock LP I've ever played delivered the goods like this beast!!!!! I've been playing it non-stop for the past 24+ hours (minus some sleep time) and I'm still just amazed. This is the best out-of-the-box guitar I've ever played, let alone owned. I am an inveterate tinkerer and I always mod my guitars--swap in boutique pickups, maybe a hardware change or two--but I have absolutely ZERO intention of doing anything but playing this thing!! It's that good. I'm a bit awestruck to be honest. ;)

In the various Custombucker threads here on MLP I am always the naysayer... never really loving them. "Their good, but not great," is my usual comment. Well, I am eating crow now because the CBs in this R7BB are STUPENDOUS! I mean, I don't know if I've ever heard better pickups in a guitar I'm playing (and that includes my many boutique PAF'd guitars). Color me IMPRESSED! This is the 6th set I've bought in a RI and the other five were nowhere near these (or there's something about this particular guitar--or a combination of both, IDK). These aren't going anywhere!!!!! :bowdown
Anyway, suffice it to say, I am in-freaking-love with this axe! :love:WOW!!! Literally, my personal best... EVER!!!

Tale of the tape:
  • Weight: 9.42lbs of solid 'hog! (w/ the CS medallion, which I'll take off sooner or later)
  • 1st Fret: 0.915"
  • 7th Fret: 0.968"
  • 12th Fret: 1.007"
  • Has what I'd call "medium" shoulders... perfect, IMO
  • QC Date: 7/15/2022 (she's a fresh one ;))
One odd-duck thing I noticed last night (and someone will no doubt notice in the pics) is that the bridge pickup ring is wrong. It's a short Gibson USA style ring (or normal LPC ring, I guess) instead of the proper black M69 tall Historic ring. So someone at the factory goofed and put the wrong pickup ring on it. :doh: I've already called Gibson Customer Service and they are going to send me the correct M69. Minor hiccup! Easy fix. :) There's always something! ;)

In order to make room (physical and financial) for this, one of my other LPs has to go, so my 2018 Royal Teaburst R8 is up for sale right now in the Members Classifieds.

Anyway, here's pics of this Black Beauty Beast!
View attachment 632144
View attachment 632145
View attachment 632146
View attachment 632147
View attachment 632149
sweet b-day gift! HBD!

LE774315

Reaction score
That is one beautiful guitar, Man! As I'm reading this post I realize that my Starette Dial indicator is right next to me so I am off to check the numbers on my 1972LPC54RI. I have had it for 48 years and never measured it.

bluesoul

Reaction score
but I have absolutely ZERO intention of doing anything but playing this thing!!
I will be the first to call bullshit! Sure, yeah right! I give ya two weeks before ya start fuckering with it :)

Glad the thing kicks ass...Les Paul Custom in black is cool man...classic badass!
Funny that you mention the CB's. I think I have pretty much said the same as you (same threads too)....but I will say this...."hit and miss".......when they "hit" they hit pretty damn good.
Enjoy and rock that thiing! Congrats!

1allspub

Reaction score
I will be the first to call bullshit! Sure, yeah right! I give ya two weeks before ya start fuckering with it :)

Glad the thing kicks ass...Les Paul Custom in black is cool man...classic badass!
Funny that you mention the CB's. I think I have pretty much said the same as you (same threads too)....but I will say this...."hit and miss".......when they "hit" they hit pretty damn good.
Enjoy and rock that thiing! Congrats!
Hahaha! Right? I don’t know though, I’ve been playing this thing for about 2 1/2 days straight now… And I can find no fault with these CBs… they’re glorious! And as much as I do love tinkering, the idea of having one, just one, that’s bone stock is appealing. But, you’re right… We’ll see! ;)

bluesoul

Reaction score
Funny thing for me...a few months ago I bought a 2014 r8 and bought a second set of Cream T whiskers. My full expection was to immediately relcace the CB's.
The Whiskers are still in their box! The R8 is bone stock and it will stay that way.

1allspub

Reaction score
Funny thing for me...a few months ago I bought a 2014 r8 and bought a second set of Cream T whiskers. My full expection was to immediately relcace the CB's.
The Whiskers are still in their box! The R8 is bone stock and it will stay that way.
I guess, every once in a blue moon it happens... even to us guitar tinkerers (ie, we leave a guitar stock ;)).

AJK1

Reaction score
Took the leap and bought a VOS 57 RI Black Beauty (2 pickup) yesterday (on my 55th birthday) from Melody Music in Bloomington, IN (back in June my wife and I moved to Southern Indiana about 1.5 hours from Bloomington). Cool shop, killer selection, and great staff that were very easy going and let me noodle to my heart's content over the course of 2 days before pulling the trigger. I had been GASing for an LPC since last December-ish, and had been looking in earnest more recently. I even considered an Epiphone LPC, but knew that in the end it would only be temporary balm and that eventually I'd end just trading it in on a Gibson LPC. So I held out.

Anyway, I was cruising Reverb the other day and put a few LPCs on my watchlist. One of which was a new 2022 BB7. I noticed it was in a shop in Bloomington and was surprised to learn that it was such a well-equipped dealer of Gibson goodies. Anyway, as it turned out, they sent me an offer for 10% off the list price. I was intrigued and being so close I figured I'd just head up there at take a look. Luckily, I had to run up to Indianapolis on Monday anyway, so on my way back I stopped by Bloomington (which is right on the way) and got a chance to see/play the one I'd put on my Reverb watchlist. While there, they offered another 5% (for a total of 15%). I liked the guitar, and as good as it is to see a guitar in person and get to play it before buying it... the amps that you get to demo on are never anything like your own so I'm more likely than not to come away more confused. Such was the case with this guitar. As I said, I did like it, and I *thought* I heard some cues in its tonal character that were clues to something maybe special... but I wasn't sure... and I was unsure if I really wanted to spend the money... so I told them I'd sleep on it. Well, I slept on it and those little cues just kept playing over and over in my head... so the next day (yesterday, my birthday) I decided to run back up there and try it out again.

Well... long story short I obviously bought it :cool2: and brought it home as my 55th birthday present to me. :naughty:

After getting it home, I immediately rushed to my guitar room, and plugged it in. Moment of truth... did I really hear something special through those unfamiliar amps? Or did I just buy a dog (and if so, then I have to run back the next day 1.5 hours each way to return it)? First an E-chord. Then a G. Then a D. Then an A. What's this? This thing is spectacular right out of the gate! I mean, it was immediately evident! Like wow! I continue playing being just continually blown away by this guitar. :dude: This is the 19th Gibson LP I've owned. 12 USAs, 1 CS LPC (not a RI, just a normal LPC Silverburst) and 6 RIs (counting this one) and I've played dozens more in stores and no stock LP I've ever played delivered the goods like this beast!!!!! I've been playing it non-stop for the past 24+ hours (minus some sleep time) and I'm still just amazed. This is the best out-of-the-box guitar I've ever played, let alone owned. I am an inveterate tinkerer and I always mod my guitars--swap in boutique pickups, maybe a hardware change or two--but I have absolutely ZERO intention of doing anything but playing this thing!! It's that good. I'm a bit awestruck to be honest. ;)

In the various Custombucker threads here on MLP I am always the naysayer... never really loving them. "Their good, but not great," is my usual comment. Well, I am eating crow now because the CBs in this R7BB are STUPENDOUS! I mean, I don't know if I've ever heard better pickups in a guitar I'm playing (and that includes my many boutique PAF'd guitars). Color me IMPRESSED! This is the 6th set I've bought in a RI and the other five were nowhere near these (or there's something about this particular guitar--or a combination of both, IDK). These aren't going anywhere!!!!! :bowdown
Anyway, suffice it to say, I am in-freaking-love with this axe! :love:WOW!!! Literally, my personal best... EVER!!!

Tale of the tape:
  • Weight: 9.42lbs of solid 'hog! (w/ the CS medallion, which I'll take off sooner or later)
  • 1st Fret: 0.915"
  • 7th Fret: 0.968"
  • 12th Fret: 1.007"
  • Has what I'd call "medium" shoulders... perfect, IMO
  • QC Date: 7/15/2022 (she's a fresh one ;))
One odd-duck thing I noticed last night (and someone will no doubt notice in the pics) is that the bridge pickup ring is wrong. It's a short Gibson USA style ring (or normal LPC ring, I guess) instead of the proper black M69 tall Historic ring. So someone at the factory goofed and put the wrong pickup ring on it. :doh: I've already called Gibson Customer Service and they are going to send me the correct M69. Minor hiccup! Easy fix. :) There's always something! ;)

In order to make room (physical and financial) for this, one of my other LPs has to go, so my 2018 Royal Teaburst R8 is up for sale right now in the Members Classifieds.

Anyway, here's pics of this Black Beauty Beast!
View attachment 632144
View attachment 632145
View attachment 632146
View attachment 632147
View attachment 632149
Awesome guitar, well done !

1allspub

Reaction score
Of course !
I like your T-Shirt by the way
I tune my Silverburst to Eb and learn KISS songs !
Haha! Me too!

In fact, I’m tuned down to Eb most of the time. Songs that were recorded there (like most KISS stuff) don’t sound right in standard tuning... and most songs that were recorded in standard tuning sound better half step down, IMO! ;) Just makes everything sounds ballsier! :dude:Plus I just like the slightly slinkier feel.

Meathead872

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
Beautiful guitar & happy birthday, very very few two pickup Les Paul customs were built in 1957 but if you look at a "57" goldtop the bridge pickup ring will be higher than what was put on the original "57" custom your ring is correct ;-)

1allspub

Reaction score
Beautiful guitar & happy birthday, very very few two pickup Les Paul customs were built in 1957 but if you look at a "57" goldtop the bridge pickup ring will be higher than what was put on the original "57" custom your ring is correct ;-)
Thanks so much. It was an epic bday for sure! :)

Regarding the bridge ring... compared to other 57 LPC RIs seen online at various retailers, mine is indeed too short. I called Gibson and confirmed it should have a tall Historic bridge ring (which they are sending me). And it’s definitely shorter than the Historic bridge ring on my R9. So it seems clear the incorrect ring was put on at the factory. What the bridge ring looked like on a real, rare as hen’s teeth, 2-pup LPC back in 57... who knows! I’ve never even seen a pic of a real 57 2-pup LPC. Only thing to come close is Joe Bonamassa’s 59 2-pup LPC. And from the vids and pic I’ve seen of it, it has a tall bridge ring. And the 3-pup ones also seem to have a tall bridge ring. Anyway, point is, my guitar was supposed to receive a tall ring from the factory (like its BB7 counterparts), but didn’t. But I’ll get it fixed. ;)

1allspub

Reaction score
Follow up... Gibson came through on the correct Historic M69 bridge pickup ring (arrived yesterday, they even sent me a spare neck Historic ring just in case). All installed and looking and functioning properly. :)
B2AD632C-F927-4855-A623-EEBE44555763.jpeg

LE774315

Reaction score
That is one beautiful guitar, Man! As I'm reading this post I realize that my Starette Dial indicator is right next to me so I am off to check the numbers on my 1972LPC54RI. I have had it for 48 years and never measured it.
I finally got around to measuring my neck: 1st .853, 7th .931 and 12th .996. BTW, not only is this "Bone Stock", I have never removed the rear plates or the pickups.

1allspub

Reaction score
I finally got around to measuring my neck: 1st .853, 7th .931 and 12th .996. BTW, not only is this "Bone Stock", I have never removed the rear plates or the pickups.
Haha! I had to at least do that... just out of curiosity! :)

Latest Threads