NGD: 2022 1957 Les Paul Custom Black Beauty RI VOS

1allspub

Reaction score
Took the leap and bought a VOS 57 RI Black Beauty (2 pickup) yesterday (on my 55th birthday) from Melody Music in Bloomington, IN (back in June my wife and I moved to Southern Indiana about 1.5 hours from Bloomington). Cool shop, killer selection, and great staff that were very easy going and let me noodle to my heart's content over the course of 2 days before pulling the trigger. I had been GASing for an LPC since last December-ish, and had been looking in earnest more recently. I even considered an Epiphone LPC, but knew that in the end it would only be temporary balm and that eventually I'd end up just trading it in on a Gibson LPC. So I held out.

Anyway, I was cruising Reverb the other day and put a few LPCs on my watchlist. One of which was a new 2022 BB7. I noticed it was in a shop in Bloomington and was surprised to learn that it was such a well-equipped dealer of Gibson goodies. Anyway, as it turned out, they sent me an offer for 10% off the list price. I was intrigued and being so close I figured I'd just head up there at take a look. Luckily, I had to run up to Indianapolis on Monday anyway, so on my way back I stopped by Bloomington (which is right on the way) and got a chance to see/play the one I'd put on my Reverb watchlist. While there, they offered another 5% (for a total of 15%). I liked the guitar, and as good as it is to see a guitar in person and get to play it before buying it... the amps that you get to demo on are never anything like your own so I'm more likely than not to come away more confused. Such was the case with this guitar. As I said, I did like it, and I *thought* I heard some cues in its tonal character that were clues to something maybe special... but I wasn't sure... and I was unsure if I really wanted to spend the money... so I told them I'd sleep on it. Well, I slept on it and those little cues just kept playing over and over in my head... so the next day (yesterday, my birthday) I decided to run back up there and try it out again.

Well... long story short I obviously bought it :cool2: and brought it home as my 55th birthday present to me. :naughty:

After getting it home, I immediately rushed to my guitar room, and plugged it in. Moment of truth... did I really hear something special through those unfamiliar amps? Or did I just buy a dog (and if so, then I have to run back the next day 1.5 hours each way to return it)? First an E-chord. Then a G. Then a D. Then an A. What's this? This thing is spectacular right out of the gate! I mean, it was immediately evident! Like wow! I continue playing being just continually blown away by this guitar. :dude: This is the 19th Gibson LP I've owned. 12 USAs, 1 CS LPC (not a RI, just a normal LPC Silverburst) and 6 RIs (counting this one) and I've played dozens more in stores and no stock LP I've ever played delivered the goods like this beast!!!!! I've been playing it non-stop for the past 24+ hours (minus some sleep time) and I'm still just amazed. This is the best out-of-the-box guitar I've ever played, let alone owned. I am an inveterate tinkerer and I always mod my guitars--swap in boutique pickups, maybe a hardware change or two--but I have absolutely ZERO intention of doing anything but playing this thing!! It's that good. I'm a bit awestruck to be honest. ;)

In the various Custombucker threads here on MLP I am always the naysayer... never really loving them. "Their good, but not great," is my usual comment. Well, I am eating crow now because the CBs in this BB7 are STUPENDOUS! I mean, I don't know if I've ever heard better pickups in a guitar I'm playing (and that includes my many boutique PAF'd guitars). Color me IMPRESSED! This is the 6th set I've bought in a RI and the other five were nowhere near these (or there's something about this particular guitar--or a combination of both, IDK). These aren't going anywhere!!!!! :bowdown
Anyway, suffice it to say, I am in-freaking-love with this axe! :love:WOW!!! Literally, my personal best... EVER!!!

Tale of the tape:
  • Weight: 9.42lbs of solid 'hog! (w/ the CS medallion, which I'll take off sooner or later)
  • 1st Fret: 0.915"
  • 7th Fret: 0.968"
  • 12th Fret: 1.007"
  • Has what I'd call "medium" shoulders... perfect, IMO
  • QC Date: 7/15/2022 (she's a fresh one ;))
One odd-duck thing I noticed last night (and someone will no doubt notice in the pics) is that the bridge pickup ring is wrong. It's a short Gibson USA style ring (or normal LPC ring, I guess) instead of the proper black M69 tall Historic ring. So someone at the factory goofed and put the wrong pickup ring on it. :doh: I've already called Gibson Customer Service and they are going to send me the correct M69. Minor hiccup! Easy fix. :) There's always something! ;)

In order to make room (physical and financial) for this, one of my other LPs has to go, so my 2018 Royal Teaburst R8 is up for sale right now in the Members Classifieds.

Anyway, here's pics of this Black Beauty Beast!
1661997565048.png

1661997614884.png

1661997658342.png

1661997728994.png

1661998256650.png

Last edited:

kewl kat

Reaction score
Congrats!!

Certainly sounds like you are "over the top" on your new acqusition.
I rarely /never change CB's or anything else with a Historic Reissue.
I modded one out that moved down the road, and now very choosy.
When paying for a CS it's good to know there is nothing more to do.

Enjoy it in good health!!

Knoby

Reaction score
Great write up! And happy for your positive experience. Would love to hear a sound demo of the beast

RocketKing

Reaction score
Very classy, congratulations.
Are you really sure you want to sell your R8 though? It's a very nice guitar!

sputnik

Reaction score
Melody Music Shop? That’s my favorite shop to deal with. They go above and beyond with anything I ask.

Great looking guitar!

searswashere

Reaction score
Congrats and happy birthday! I got to try a buddy’s R7BB, decidedly similar to my 68RI.

Enjoy!

1allspub

Reaction score
Melody Music Shop? That’s my favorite shop to deal with. They go above and beyond with anything I ask.

Great looking guitar!
I’d never even heard of them until I was cruising reverb the other day… and like I said, I only live 1.5hrs from them. Great shop though. Definitely be getting my future business. Killer inventory. On-site luthier. Great staff! :thumbs:

1allspub

Reaction score
Very classy, congratulations.
Are you really sure you want to sell your R8 though? It's a very nice guitar!
Haha! NO! I am absolutely not sure I want to sell it. It’s a fantastic guitar. But as a said above… something’s gotta give. I’ll give it a run and see if some lucky soul snaps it up here on MLP. If not, I’ll run it up the reverb flagpole. Maybe I’ll get lucky and no one will buy it. ;)

1allspub

Reaction score
Just realized that 7/15 was a Friday... that explains the wrong pickup ring! :rofl:

But Friday or not, they nailed the rest of it!:dude:

mudface

Shaw Bucker
Double Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
Fantastic BB7.... sounds like the solid hog and cb pickups are great combo for you..... I love Customs they are great guitars. congrats and enjoy.:cheers:

mudface

Shaw Bucker
Double Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
Just realized that 7/15 was a Friday... that explains the wrong pickup ring! :rofl:

But Friday or not, they nailed the rest of it!:dude:
You know i have had a few Custom Shop guitars and the bridge m69 ring can be a bit tall if the neck angle is a bit shallow..... could be the lower ring is intentional,... but i'm just speculating. A tall ring can always be sanded a bit lower if needed.

1allspub

Reaction score
Fantastic BB7.... sounds like the solid hog and cb pickups are great combo for you..... I love Customs they are great guitars. congrats and enjoy.:cheers:
Yeah, I think so. I like the added dark (not muddy... dark as in sinister) bite of the all hog, I think. Makes sense, in retrospect, because I have always liked the sound of SG’s (also all hog) just could never get along with their ergonomics (to used to LPs, I guess).

1allspub

Reaction score
You know i have had a few Custom Shop guitars and the bridge m69 ring can be a bit tall if the neck angle is a bit shallow..... could be the lower ring is intentional,... but i'm just speculating. A tall ring can always be sanded a bit lower if needed.
Thanks for the heads up.

searswashere

Reaction score
Haha! NO! I am absolutely not sure I want to sell it. It’s a fantastic guitar. But as a said above… something’s gotta give. I’ll give it a run and see if some lucky soul snaps it up here on MLP. If not, I’ll run it up the reverb flagpole. Maybe I’ll get lucky and no one will buy it. ;)
Cant be bought if it was never listed :)

turkeyfoot

Reaction score
Took the leap and bought a VOS 57 RI Black Beauty (2 pickup) yesterday (on my 55th birthday) from Melody Music in Bloomington, IN (back in June my wife and I moved to Southern Indiana about 1.5 hours from Bloomington). Cool shop, killer selection, and great staff that were very easy going and let me noodle to my heart's content over the course of 2 days before pulling the trigger. I had been GASing for an LPC since last December-ish, and had been looking in earnest more recently. I even considered an Epiphone LPC, but knew that in the end it would only be temporary balm and that eventually I'd end just trading it in on a Gibson LPC. So I held out.

Anyway, I was cruising Reverb the other day and put a few LPCs on my watchlist. One of which was a new 2022 BB7. I noticed it was in a shop in Bloomington and was surprised to learn that it was such a well-equipped dealer of Gibson goodies. Anyway, as it turned out, they sent me an offer for 10% off the list price. I was intrigued and being so close I figured I'd just head up there at take a look. Luckily, I had to run up to Indianapolis on Monday anyway, so on my way back I stopped by Bloomington (which is right on the way) and got a chance to see/play the one I'd put on my Reverb watchlist. While there, they offered another 5% (for a total of 15%). I liked the guitar, and as good as it is to see a guitar in person and get to play it before buying it... the amps that you get to demo on are never anything like your own so I'm more likely than not to come away more confused. Such was the case with this guitar. As I said, I did like it, and I *thought* I heard some cues in its tonal character that were clues to something maybe special... but I wasn't sure... and I was unsure if I really wanted to spend the money... so I told them I'd sleep on it. Well, I slept on it and those little cues just kept playing over and over in my head... so the next day (yesterday, my birthday) I decided to run back up there and try it out again.

Well... long story short I obviously bought it :cool2: and brought it home as my 55th birthday present to me. :naughty:

After getting it home, I immediately rushed to my guitar room, and plugged it in. Moment of truth... did I really hear something special through those unfamiliar amps? Or did I just buy a dog (and if so, then I have to run back the next day 1.5 hours each way to return it)? First an E-chord. Then a G. Then a D. Then an A. What's this? This thing is spectacular right out of the gate! I mean, it was immediately evident! Like wow! I continue playing being just continually blown away by this guitar. :dude: This is the 19th Gibson LP I've owned. 12 USAs, 1 CS LPC (not a RI, just a normal LPC Silverburst) and 6 RIs (counting this one) and I've played dozens more in stores and no stock LP I've ever played delivered the goods like this beast!!!!! I've been playing it non-stop for the past 24+ hours (minus some sleep time) and I'm still just amazed. This is the best out-of-the-box guitar I've ever played, let alone owned. I am an inveterate tinkerer and I always mod my guitars--swap in boutique pickups, maybe a hardware change or two--but I have absolutely ZERO intention of doing anything but playing this thing!! It's that good. I'm a bit awestruck to be honest. ;)

In the various Custombucker threads here on MLP I am always the naysayer... never really loving them. "Their good, but not great," is my usual comment. Well, I am eating crow now because the CBs in this R7BB are STUPENDOUS! I mean, I don't know if I've ever heard better pickups in a guitar I'm playing (and that includes my many boutique PAF'd guitars). Color me IMPRESSED! This is the 6th set I've bought in a RI and the other five were nowhere near these (or there's something about this particular guitar--or a combination of both, IDK). These aren't going anywhere!!!!! :bowdown
Anyway, suffice it to say, I am in-freaking-love with this axe! :love:WOW!!! Literally, my personal best... EVER!!!

Tale of the tape:
  • Weight: 9.42lbs of solid 'hog! (w/ the CS medallion, which I'll take off sooner or later)
  • 1st Fret: 0.915"
  • 7th Fret: 0.968"
  • 12th Fret: 1.007"
  • Has what I'd call "medium" shoulders... perfect, IMO
  • QC Date: 7/15/2022 (she's a fresh one ;))
One odd-duck thing I noticed last night (and someone will no doubt notice in the pics) is that the bridge pickup ring is wrong. It's a short Gibson USA style ring (or normal LPC ring, I guess) instead of the proper black M69 tall Historic ring. So someone at the factory goofed and put the wrong pickup ring on it. :doh: I've already called Gibson Customer Service and they are going to send me the correct M69. Minor hiccup! Easy fix. :) There's always something! ;)

In order to make room (physical and financial) for this, one of my other LPs has to go, so my 2018 Royal Teaburst R8 is up for sale right now in the Members Classifieds.

Anyway, here's pics of this Black Beauty Beast!
View attachment 632144
View attachment 632145
View attachment 632146
View attachment 632147
View attachment 632149
I did the same in '21 with the purchase of a Gibson Custom 1957 Les Paul Custom Reissue VOS - Ebony 3-Pickup w/ Bigsby. I negotiated between Sweetwater and Leitz Music. Weighs in at 9 -13. I already had an Bonamassa BB Epi which felt awful by comparison and sold it. This guitar feels like nothing I have ever played, a true joy. (only 1 yr in after a 42 yr hiatus) Happy Birthday!

Attachments

• GuitarGateIMG_2527[1].jpg
    GuitarGateIMG_2527[1].jpg
    129.8 KB · Views: 25

1allspub

Reaction score
I did the same in '21 with the purchase of a Gibson Custom 1957 Les Paul Custom Reissue VOS - Ebony 3-Pickup w/ Bigsby. I negotiated between Sweetwater and Leitz Music. Weighs in at 9 -13. I already had an Bonamassa BB Epi which felt awful by comparison and sold it. This guitar feels like nothing I have ever played, a true joy. (only 1 yr in after a 42 yr hiatus) Happy Birthday!
Awesome! I absolutely love the look of the 3 pickup version (especially with the Bigsby), but I just can’t play them well. Melody had a 3 pickup (non-Bigsby) as well (same price, which I thought odd—you think you’d have to pay a bit extra for the extra CB). But I didn't even bother having them get it down. I’m one of those who digs in deep and middle pickups are always in my way! Otherwise I’d have the 3 pickup.

Latest Threads