NGD! 2021 R9

Duane_the_tub

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
Very nice! Love the look of that one. What do you think of the feel and sound?

HNGD, she's a beauty.

lespaulbluesbreaker

Reaction score
Just got this beauty today. Put on a new set of 10s and a little bit of set up work and she’s off to the races!

sd_guitars

Reaction score
Lovely top! What's the finish called? My iced tea R9 arrives on Monday

lespaulbluesbreaker

Reaction score
Very nice! Love the look of that one. What do you think of the feel and sound?

HNGD, she's a beauty.
The newest LP before this was a 2014 R8 which is very ‘grunty and growly’. The new guitar is super sweet sounding, extremely rich and full of overtones. Very balanced too. I really don’t think this one needs anything.
I often put on a Faber bridge and change out the tuners for something better but this one sounds and feels great, super resonant. Very easy on the fingers too.
Just doing a little comparison with the 2014 R8 and the 2009 R9, this one seems to be a better built guitar. Still not sure about the darker back yet though.
I really do love the pickups. I was just playing it with a PRS 594 with the LT pickups which I thought were every bit as good as the Throbaks in the R9. I like the newer Gibson ones better.
So far it’s all great. I’m quite impressed.

Randy_Lahey

Reaction score
It’s always a good day, when it’s NGD! Especially, when it’s a reissue!!!!

Rock on mate!!! Ace likes!!!!!

bossaddict

@david.beason on IG
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
Really unique top. I like it! Congrats!

Duane_the_tub

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
The newest LP before this was a 2014 R8 which is very ‘grunty and growly’. The new guitar is super sweet sounding, extremely rich and full of overtones. Very balanced too. I really don’t think this one needs anything.
I often put on a Faber bridge and change out the tuners for something better but this one sounds and feels great, super resonant. Very easy on the fingers too.
Just doing a little comparison with the 2014 R8 and the 2009 R9, this one seems to be a better built guitar. Still not sure about the darker back yet though.
I really do love the pickups. I was just playing it with a PRS 594 with the LT pickups which I thought were every bit as good as the Throbaks in the R9. I like the newer Gibson ones better.
So far it’s all great. I’m quite impressed.
That's great to hear. I also have a '21 R9 (link below) and I agree that it doesn't need anything. The pickups are outstanding and overall it has a fantastic voice that I'm not inclined to mess with. There is also something cool - to me anyway - about leaving a guitar bone stock. I'm a mod guy by nature so it's unusual for me.

Faber bridge is also my go-to first mod, and even though I have an extra one in a box on my bench, I haven't wanted to swap it on.

Last edited:

lespaulbluesbreaker

Reaction score
That's great to hear. I also have a '21 R9 (link below) and I agree that it doesn't need anything. The pickups are outstanding and overall it has a fantastic voice that I'm not inclined to mess with. There is also something cool - to me anyway - about leaving a guitar bone stock. I'm a mod guy by nature so it's unusual for me.

Faber bridge is also my go-to first mod, and even though I have an extra one in a box on my bench, I haven't wanted to swap it on.

I may change out the tuners on this one. The current ones feel very sloppy and imprecise. I’ve had good luck with the Tonepros Klusons. Other than that, I’m inclined to leave this one alone too. Can’t wait to get home to play it again!

Latest Threads