NGD 2021 Les Paul Tribute and a surprise

OnThePorch

Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I'm new here, but I've been browsing on and off for years, lots of great info and cool guitars! I've always been a huge fan of Les Pauls. I finally have one to call my own, a 40th birthday gift from my better half!

I was debating between the new Epiphone '59 and the Tribute, and it might have gone the other way, had we not found the one we did. It was for sale, used, through L&M, and it was a very good price. Ultimately, I'm very fond of the satin nitro on the Tribute, it just feels natural.

While playing this morning, I noticed the neck volume knob was a little loose. I expected I might just have to tighten the nut, but I pulled up a little on it and heard a click. So surprisingly, this guitar has been modded to coil split the neck PU. In a rush before leaving for work, I popped the back cover off to see what was up and was happy to see that the previous owner completely rewired the controls with CTS 500k pots (not sure about the push/pull) and orange drop caps. I'm not too familiar with wiring setups, so I was hoping someone from here might be able to briefly explain what might be going on under the hood there. I googled for some info about the cap values but didn't find much.

It sounds incredible, unplugged and through my rig. Very resonant unplugged. Without further ado, here's some pics. Thanks for reading!

Attachments

• Compress_20220815_193530_0862.jpg
    Compress_20220815_193530_0862.jpg
    231.1 KB · Views: 78
  • Compress_20220815_193530_0474.jpg
    Compress_20220815_193530_0474.jpg
    182.6 KB · Views: 75

01GT Eibach

Reaction score
It is nice when a "problem" is realized to be a "nice feature". Cool guitar. Thanks for posting a pic of the guitar itself. If drives me crazy when people post only pics of the issue. We want to see the guitar too (LOL).

searswashere

Reaction score
Congrats and happy belated!

These tributes are next on my list to check out.

OnThePorch

Reaction score
Thanks for all the birthday wishes, makes me feel better about turning 40!

I called the store where we bought It, they didn't have a service record, but they offered to look at it and make sure it's all up to snuff. I suspect it is, since everything works, I'd just like to know how it's setup. It looks like two leads from each PU are wired to the push/pull, so maybe it splits both and blends them in the up position? Curious lol

Latest Threads