NGD - 2020 USA Les Paul Standard 50's WW Select

MiniB

Reaction score
Soooo......

2020 Wildwood Select USA Les Paul Standard in 'Unburst'. Got it because I wanted another Les Paul that had a neck shape similar to my ES-335 with medium c neck profile. This one's neck is .88" to .98", feels great and much closer to my ES-335 than the ginormous neck I had on an R8.

BUT...out of the box the strings felt very stiff, and the fret ends are rather sharp and dig in a bit. Surprising since it's a bound neck with nibs. I was actually about to return is, but it sounds really good plugged in. These '59 Tribute Humbuckers sound quite nice....not too icy and not too plump, sort of medium-low output. Only thing is that they both measure exactly 7.29K, and I have to have the bridge pickup hiked up pretty high near the strings to balance out. In another thread I did some mockups to see if I'd like aged covers or double-creams (obviously with different pickups), but as long as I stay with the stock pickups it's aged covers.

Anyway it felt stiff and the medium jumbo frets are quite high and I was hanging up on them, but I had a feeling that the main contributor to that was the steep angle of strings behind the bridge even with the tailpiece studs backed out....since this model has a pretty high bridge and neck angle. As soon as I change strings and top wrapped, it changed the feel completely. Much easier to play and bend and wasn't hanging up anymore. Still going to have the frets crowned/polished and the fret ends smoothed out, but already it's starting from a much better place than what I thought it was. Was also thinking of getting the fingerboard edges rolled like on my ES-335, but I don't think I need that now.

Weight is 9.07 lbs but at first felt quite a bit heavier...thought it may have been a misprint of 9.7 lbs. It does not have the acoustic resonance as the 2013 R8 I had with its non-condomed truss rod and hide glue, but it does play a little clearer plugged in with the larger frets, and with the neck shape its easier on my hand. I might replace the tuners with Grovers too. The pots seem to maintain the high end nicely all the way down, actually better than the RS Superpots I had on the R8, although the taper is longer like on the ES-335 with its Memphis Tone Circuit.

Altogether, happy with the purchase. Wish the finish wasn't so thick, but that's a pretty minor niggle. The fingerboard rosewood is nice and dark, quite lovely. Here it is with aged covers/hardware and more 'vintage-spec' plastic. The finish is actually quite similar to the Sunrise Tea Burst on my former R8, so visually it was a pretty easy transition.

Last edited:

MiniB

Reaction score
Yes, 'niggle'! :dude:

As far as tone...no, I'm probably not going to get the kind of woody voltage character out ofd this like with a Historic, but I'm okay with that. I got this as more of an all-around platform wth controls that I was very used to and a palette that is still uniquely a Les Paul. It's a very good instrument with a great clean base and a nice rich voice. I got what I wanted and frankly aren't too concerned with fixating over vintage PAF-this.=, just like I have with Standards and Traditionals in the past.

I actually still might try one of my double-cream Duncan Antiquity neck hum buckers in the bridge (have two of them , somehow)...one that reads 7.76K, which may seem kind of low but again, this guitar's bridge pickup is the same 7.29K as the neck, so a 7.76k in bridge could even out nicely...maybe even an aged/rough-cast Alnico 5 magnet too.

rjwilson37

Reaction score
Wow, that is nice. Congrats!

That is the sweetest Unburst I have seen.

jbylake

Premium Member
Reaction score
Soooo......

2020 Wildwood Select USA Les Paul Standard in 'Unburst'. Got it because I wanted another Les Paul that had a neck shape similar to my ES-335 with medium c neck profile. This one's neck is .88" to .98", feels great and much closer to my ES-335 than the ginormous neck I had on an R8.

BUT...out of the box the strings felt very stiff, and the fret ends are rather sharp and dig in a bit. Surprising since it's a bound neck with nibs. I was actually about to return is, but it sounds really good plugged in. These '59 Tribute Humbuckers sound quite nice....not too icy and not too plump, sort of medium-low output. Only thing is that they both measure exactly 7.29K, and I have to have the bridge pickup hiked up pretty high near the strings to balance out. In another thread I did some mockups to see if I'd like aged covers or double-creams (obviously with different pickups), but as long as I stay with the stock pickups it's aged covers.

Anyway it felt stiff and the medium jumbo frets are quite high and I was hanging up on them, but I had a feeling that the main contributor to that was the steep angle of strings behind the bridge even with the tailpiece studs backed out....since this model has a pretty high bridge and neck angle. As soon as I change strings and top wrapped, it changed the feel completely. Much easier to play and bend and wasn't hanging up anymore. Still going to have the frets crowned/polished and the fret ends smoothed out, but already it's starting from a much better place than what I thought it was. Was also thinking of getting the fingerboard edges rolled like on my ES-335, but I don't think I need that now.

Weight is 9.07 lbs but at first felt quite a bit heavier...thought it may have been a misprint of 9.7 lbs. It does not have the acoustic resonance as the 2013 R8 I had with its non-condomed truss rod and hide glue, but it does play a little clearer plugged in with the larger frets, and with the neck shape its easier on my hand. I might replace the tuners with Grovers too. The pots seem to maintain the high end nicely all the way down, actually better than the RS Superpots I had on the R8, although the taper is longer like on the ES-335 with its Memphis Tone Circuit.

Altogether, happy with the purchase. Wish the finish wasn't so thick, but that's a pretty minor niggle. The fingerboard rosewood is nice and dark, quite lovely. Here it is with aged covers/hardware and more 'vintage-spec' plastic. The finish is actually quite similar to the Sunrise Tea Burst on my former R8, so visually it was a pretty easy transition.

That is one sweet looking LP !

MiniB

Reaction score
Y'know what's funny...if you look at my avatar, those are two older guitars that I used to have. I now have two newer guitars that pretty much look just like them.

danzego

Reaction score
Definitely get those frets crowned. The way Gibson has the machine shape the frets is ridiculous.

When I got my Standard 50s last year (shortly after they shipped), I paid to have it rePleked. The frets are like glass now.

Latest Threads