NGD-2020 Trad Pro V Satin Ice Tea plain top

Randy_Lahey

Reaction score
Saw this on GC used section and decided to give it a try. Got in in last night, and set it up between last night and this AM. Loving it!

The good. Looks near new. Looks hardly used at all. No major dents/dings/scratches. I'm happy there. After setup it sounds awesome. Plays great. Love the plain top figuring(I have a beautiful flame top Standard, but have longed for a nice plain top). The rosewood board is beautiful, mostly dark with some nice figuring.

The Bad. Worst setup of any true Gibson I've played. 2 nut slots were embarrassingly off, and another slot wasn't great. Easy fix. Fret board was so dry when I got it, looked bleached. Conditioning/cleaning with F-one oil fixed that. And the Coup de grâce, the bridge was on backwards? The bridge pickup was also super high(like how people place their probuckers), but these pickups in my experience are MUCH hotter than Probuckers and when raising these up you get a nasty sound then. Not sure if that's what people mean, when they say ice picky on strats when rear pickup too high, but this sounded way too over driven and spiky(bad term). Lowering the rear pickup ALOT, and tones evened out, and sounded good.

All in All, after a little rework/elbow grease, it's a wonderful guitar and will find it's place in the rotation! Now excuse me while I got channel my inner Ace Frehley!!!!! :dude:

IMG_1879 (2).JPG
IMG_1883 (2).JPG
IMG_1880 (2).JPG
IMG_1881 (2).JPG
IMG_1882 (2).JPG

sonar1

Reaction score
Push/pull pots with dip switches inside the back cover?

BDW60

Reaction score
What did you put on the board? Because it looks very good now ... edit, I see F1 oil. I use it as well but I didn’t get the same kind of result on my 2020 Standard. Maybe I was too skimpy with it.

Last edited:

Randy_Lahey

Reaction score
Push/pull pots with dip switches inside the back cover?
yeah pull pull pots and back cover says it has the dip switches(like my Other 2 Trad Pro V's). But I've never popped the covers tbh lol. Prefer the humbucker sound and contemplate actually removing these pots on one, installing regular CTS pots and do like a 50's wiring setup. But for now I just play as is!

What did you put on the board? Because it looks very good now ... edit, I see F1 oil. I use it as well but I didn’t get the same kind of result on my 2020 Standard. Maybe I was too skimpy with it.
Yeah F1 oil. I put a line down the fret board, then use a rag to wipe around and even out. Then I let it sit on there for 10-15 mins then wipe off excess. Seems to work well that way. Not sure if that's the official best way, but I've heard leaving too much on too long can be bad too. This way, it just leaves a good shean on board, and after like 5-10 mins I'll rewipe board, even things out again, then another 5-10mins do the same, then after a bit I'll wipe it down with dry towel to get off excess. Then I let this one sit over night as I was out of time etc.... In AM I wiped again, but didn't really seem to have any excess. Restrung guitar and off to the races.

You can slop that oil on and let it sit a bit, before you wipe it off. But I'm not sure what F1 oil is.....I use mineral oil mixed with a little carnauba.
I think it's mostly mineral oil with some snake oil mixed in, but I didn't want to cheap out and regret it later. I may buy some mineral oil to comare to this. But this bottle was like $7-9 I forget at local GC and will probably last 5+ years lol.

BeerGolfGuitars

Reaction score
That plain top is beautiful. Congrats! I do a similar process with leaving F1 on for a while before wiping, with good results.

Randy_Lahey

Reaction score
Man today's been a GOOD day! Loving this guitar, and after neglecting my H&K Tubemiester 18 for well over a year, I decided to give it some love, retube it with Tung Sol EL84? power tubes and a JJECC83S gold V1 tube and a JJECC803S Gold V2 tube. I think those are the JJ tubes model numbers, but I could be wrong so don't hang me. Anyway, after fiddling with the eq a bit, it's running awesome. I tried JJ power tubes and a different V2 tube in the past, but this combo nails the classic Kiss sound better. Early Kiss(think Duece), I can run the gain channel, w/out boost and a tube screamer pedal and it gets that awesome early Kiss chimey distortion. Take off the tube screamer, and kick in the boost on the OD channel and Love Gun is nailed. Add the tube scream AND the boost on OD channel and Motely Crue, Ozzy(Jake E Lee) Metal tones are good, at least to my ear lol. Now I just gotta get the chops down ;).

BDW60

Reaction score
yeah pull pull pots and back cover says it has the dip switches(like my Other 2 Trad Pro V's). But I've never popped the covers tbh lol. Prefer the humbucker sound and contemplate actually removing these pots on one, installing regular CTS pots and do like a 50's wiring setup. But for now I just play as is!

Yeah F1 oil. I put a line down the fret board, then use a rag to wipe around and even out. Then I let it sit on there for 10-15 mins then wipe off excess. Seems to work well that way. Not sure if that's the official best way, but I've heard leaving too much on too long can be bad too. This way, it just leaves a good shean on board, and after like 5-10 mins I'll rewipe board, even things out again, then another 5-10mins do the same, then after a bit I'll wipe it down with dry towel to get off excess. Then I let this one sit over night as I was out of time etc.... In AM I wiped again, but didn't really seem to have any excess. Restrung guitar and off to the races.

I think it's mostly mineral oil with some snake oil mixed in, but I didn't want to cheap out and regret it later. I may buy some mineral oil to comare to this. But this bottle was like $7-9 I forget at local GC and will probably last 5+ years lol.
Clearly I didn’t use enough, nor did I let it sit long enough after the evening up.

sonar1

Reaction score

Yeah I hear you on switches and gizmos. Gimmee straight (good) humbuckers wired regular or fifties and I’m happy!

DaveSG

Reaction score
Not possible. I don't believe any used guitar ever came that clean out of a GC :rofl:

I spy a case underneath the case. Do tell.

Randy_Lahey

Reaction score
Clearly I didn’t use enough, nor did I let it sit long enough after the evening up.
I can even see areas on mine that could probably use a little more oil, but it's decently conditioned now, and at next string change I think I'll do the same process again, and I think that'll have it good and well conditioned then. I guess I'd rather not over do it in one application lol.

Latest Threads