NGD - 2020 Standard '60s Iced Tea

redberon2003

Reaction score
Today was the day. I've owned two other Gibsons, a '61 SG Reissue, and a Les Paul Studio VM (I regret parting with this guitar because it played so well). So a new guitar had been in the back of my mind for a while, and I'd never ordered online but figured why not.

Unbox:

Beauty shots:

So now for the bad, and thankfully It doesn't appear there's anything "Ugly" :). I've been reading fretboard quality in newer gibsons tends to be pretty meh, and I don't recall seeing anything out of the box with my other two. Looks like a splinter between 12 and 13 and a small divet between (IIRC, 5 and 6):

Isn't appearing to effect playability, but not something I expect on a new 2500 dollar instrument either. rest of the board outside these two spots appears to be fine. Thoughts from anyone else who's recently purchased a new one?

HIDDEN

Reaction score
If that board was darker I’d confuse it with a Braz...nice guitar man

jb_abides

Reaction score
Beautiful guitar, wonderful subtle flaming and nice darker tea. Enjoy in good health! :cheers:

MusiKfir

Reaction score
Today was the day. I've owned two other Gibsons, a '61 SG Reissue, and a Les Paul Studio VM (I regret parting with this guitar because it played so well). So a new guitar had been in the back of my mind for a while, and I'd never ordered online but figured why not.

Unbox:

Beauty shots:

So now for the bad, and thankfully It doesn't appear there's anything "Ugly" :). I've been reading fretboard quality in newer gibsons tends to be pretty meh, and I don't recall seeing anything out of the box with my other two. Looks like a splinter between 12 and 13 and a small divet between (IIRC, 5 and 6):

Isn't appearing to effect playability, but not something I expect on a new 2500 dollar instrument either. rest of the board outside these two spots appears to be fine. Thoughts from anyone else who's recently purchased a new one?
You can replace it, by contacting who you purchased from or have a confirmation from Gibson support to replace it according to your warranty. The question is, is it really that bad in real life?(I guess the pictures zoom it in so it looks big) Also the solution for that by a guitar workshop would be wood filling and it won't cost you money because of your warranty, would that make you feel better with the guitar?

redberon2003

Reaction score
You can replace it, by contacting who you purchased from or have a confirmation from Gibson support to replace it according to your warranty. The question is, is it really that bad in real life?(I guess the pictures zoom it in so it looks big) Also the solution for that by a guitar workshop would be wood filling and it won't cost you money because of your warranty, would that make you feel better with the guitar?
I actually just called gibson, because I figured filling was absolutely an okay option for me. The dimple I don't mind so much as the splinter, that one's deeper and rejection worthy. The rep I briefly spoke too seemed certain my only options were to Send it back to Gibson for warranty or the dealer for replacement. Which I'm not keen on because I do really like the guitar, and I'm kinda more worried about what I'll get instead :laugh2:. Less than 100$ in finishing work locally vs sending it back to Nashville or the Dealer. Going to talk to the dealer tomorrow and also sent a message to a local Gibson Authorized Luthier. NGD Saga begins. I want to keep this guitar, but if I can't find a solution for the splinter I'll probably send it back.

duckfather18

Reaction score

Unbox:

Beauty shots:

Where’d you get your Les Paul from?

Deathray

Reaction score
Send it back, if it bothers you. And buy one from Wildwood. They wouldn‘t have let that splinter out the door. They take a lot of pride in being a premier Gibson retailer. They will set it up, with your string of choice, and the online pics of their inventory are high-res glamour shots from several angles.

That is a gorgeous top, though. I understand why you are torn

redberon2003

Reaction score
Send it back, if it bothers you. And buy one from Wildwood. They wouldn‘t have let that splinter out the door. They take a lot of pride in being a premier Gibson retailer. They will set it up, with your string of choice, and the online pics of their inventory are high-res glamour shots from several angles.

That is a gorgeous top, though. I understand why you are torn
Wildwood was top of my shortlist, but viewing the guitars this one had the nice top and CME gave a good deal. Made buying it easy since I can get the setup from the shop I'd prefer and still save plenty. The fretboard is the wildcard obviously, and I can't say I'm really disappointed either way given the savings and options still available. If they can approve a warrantied fix to the fretboard without tearing it down and making a different machine........ I'm sold, because binding, lacquer, and resonance are all on point.

Midnight Blues

Reaction score
Very nice!

I can understand how you feel though. I would suspect that CME would fix or compensate you in some way since they're not some "Fly-by-night" operation. If it doesn't hinder your playing and all else being equal you're happy with it, then don't sweat over it.

Congrats, HNGD :jam: and play her in good health!

Jmpman

Reaction score
How in the world did that pass QC inspection from Gibson or CME? Of course other dealers are guilty of that too. Seems they all expect the customer to be their inspectors :-(

Les Paul Newb

Reaction score
Ah man, I just bought one of these in Unburst and I love it! Mine came with a beautifully uniform, DARK fretboard and it’s so great. Stunning top like yours too. Loving these 2020 standards!!

On a side note, I still own my 2007 vintage Mahogany, bummer you got rid of yours bro. I adore that thing. My first gibson and it’s truly special. The tall jumbo frets are superior to the lower ones on my standard and trad. And the “59’ rounded” neck profile is the best. Right between a 50s & 60s. I love that it’s chambered and so light. How it sounds acoustically. The only thing it needs imo is pickups because I don’t like burstbucker pros, at least in a chambered guitar.

stp

Reaction score
nice guitar I would not let it bother me.plug it in and play the shit out of it.

integra evan

Reaction score
Lovely top! Can you feel that splintered area while playing?

redberon2003

Reaction score
Can't feel it playing currently, and I think frets would have to be really worn to get to the point I did, but it catches my finger if I rub the board. Main reason for wanting to fill it is to ensure it can't grow in any way in the future from say, cleaning. Local Luthier who's a gibson authorized service center said it wouldn't be a problem to clean up, for 75-100 and CME said they could refund me depending on how much. Looks like this story is about to have a happy ending. :dude:

Latest Threads