NGD: 2020 Les Paul Junior Lukas Nelson '56 Reissue

lawrev

Reaction score
Took delivery on this guitar yesterday (built late June) and can't say enough good things about it:

1. Guitar finish is fantastic. Not a cheap satin finish. The vintage sunburst color really shines in the morning light.

2. The build quality is equal to any Custom Shop Junior or Special that I have owned, same with the BJA Juniors. Love the aged nickel parts!

3. I have not weighed the guitar yet, but it is on the light side.

4. The neck feels fantastic - thicker than the last Junior I owned, but not as thick as a Custom Shop 57 reissue. In fact, the neck is equal to any Custom Shop guitar I've owned. I can tell that Gibson USA put more effort into this neck than the Original Collection models I have owned. The whole guitar feels like more thought and care was put into the fit and finish than on the OC model and equal to any CS model. The signature truss rod cover is coming off in favor of the traditional one ply black version.

5. The fretboard was very dry - that's the only "complaint" - but that was rectified with some CreamTone board oil. It is dark now.

6. It plays wonderful - more on that this weekend - but the AL 3 P90 sounds different and I am impressed with it. Plus, there is your normal 60 cycle hum - but not too intrusive.

All in all, worth the money and the slight premium over the OC Junior. And, it is a compelling argument to skip the CS version altogether and save a good amount of cash.

2020 Les Paul Junior LN '56 Reissue 1.jpg 2020 Les Paul Junior LN '56 Reissue 6.jpg 2020 Les Paul Junior LN '56 Reissue 5.jpg 2020 Les Paul Junior LN '56 Reissue 4.jpg 2020 Les Paul Junior LN '56 Reissue 3.jpg 2020 Les Paul Junior LN '56 Reissue 2.jpg

Last edited:

christopherJ

Reaction score
I have three new 2020 USA LPs and they are the best I've owned to date. Classic, Traditional, and a LP Special DC with single P90. All three are fantastic! Based on my sample of three, Gibson has really turned it around under the new guy.

lawrev

Reaction score
I have three new 2020 USA LPs and they are the best I've owned to date. Classic, Traditional, and a LP Special DC with single P90. All three are fantastic! Based on my sample of three, Gibson has really turned it around under the new guy.
Agree!

dmac in SC

Platinum Supporting Member
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I could not agree more. My new '50s Gold Top is hands down the best crafted Gibson I have owned. There is no reason to believe that is not flowing over into other models.

Congrats, OP! A Junior is looking more and more every day like my next acquisition.

lawrev

Reaction score
Nice i love my 2020 OC Jr especially after installing a antiquity in her!
I am always tempted to install a new pickup, but this time around I'm going to leave it stock.

The only reversible mods for this one is the blank truss rod cover and the dial pointers (which I put in today).

Great fan of Seymour Duncan pickups!

crippe

Reaction score
That's a nice guitar but it needs pointers on the knobs - very important :) How do the electronics look? I assume they put Spragues in these too...

lawrev

Reaction score
That's a nice guitar but it needs pointers on the knobs - very important :) How do the electronics look? I assume they put Spragues in these too...
Dial pointers went on yesterday. They look great and add that touch.

I haven't pulled the back yet, but Gibson says there is an orange drop cap there. I'm hoping to get a photo taken of the electronics this weekend but have a couple work related issues to deal with before that...

But this Junior is a winner and the run should sell out quickly!

Reaction score
i am starting to dislike myself for not getting one of these, the transition of the burst looks just fantastic, like the really good ones I’ve only seen on reverb & rig rundowns haha

Latest Threads