NGD - 2020 Les Paul Custom

Musha Ring

Reaction score
I'd been wanting an ebony Custom for a very long time. Years ago I had an Edwards Custom and had always intended to replace it, but with Epiphone's new changes like the headstock, pickups, and ebony fingerboard, this new Epiphone was a no brainer for me.

The store I went to had two. One new in box and a wall hanger. I compared them for over an hour and although they were both very nice, the wall hanger played too good to pass up and had such a sweet, chimey unplugged sound, so I brought it home.

It did have a small amount of swirling on the back, perhaps from a zipper, so I asked for a deal and received $200 off in total. Such a sweet deal!

The guitar is so resonant, bright, and loud acoustically. It has a very sweet bell-like sound to it unplugged. The setup is superb, lower action than two of my Gibsons and a much slinkier feel. The frets and fretwork are absolutely immaculate!

I'm really enjoying the Probuckers. They're a touch tame for me, but have great clarity and throatiness. They sound similar to the Duncan APH2s, but with less attitude.

Overall, I'm extremely happy with the deal I got, and my new guitar itself. This is a lifetime guitar for me and I feel like I couldn't have done better nor asked for a finer guitar!

Pics!

20211018_174259-01.jpeg
20211018_174246-01.jpeg
20211018_174338-01.jpeg
20211018_174528-01.jpeg
20211018_174431-01.jpeg
20211018_184534-01.jpeg
20211018_173641-04.jpeg
20211018_184242-01.jpeg

rjwilson37

Reaction score
Boy did I get jealous seeing your lovely Custom and Joe B BB around here! Did not help the GAS. Lol
Yep, sorry about that. I do love the Custom over the Joe B BB because of the Slim Taper neck on the Custom, it feels so good. But... now that I have the Joe B 59 Standard and have been playing it a lot, the BB and the 59 have necks that are pretty close to one another. I thought the 59 neck would be a little bit Slimmer than what it is, but I have actually gotten use to it after playing it for a while. The 59's tone and feel is so good, I was playing it for a couple hours and not even really realizing the neck difference.

I grab the Custom and the neck is so much slimmer, I just love all my Epiphone guitars that I have right now, they are fantastic.

Last edited:

nowaysj

Reaction score
That wall hanger issue is a beach.

In the 90's I tried out a new brand of mic, Blue, and specifically their Blueberry model. It blew everything in the high end mic cab away. It slayed Neumanns, new, used, vintage. I was surprised, but I had to go with my ears.

But I wanted to get the best Blueberry they had, so I tested all 7 of them that they had in stock. The best one by far had an 1/8th - 3/16th little blemish, kind of like a scratch, but more like a scratch below the finish, and it was right dead center on the body of the mic. But it sounded so good. I think I stood there for 20+ minutes ruminating on the decision.

I had to buy the best sounding mic, the one with a blemish. I didn't think to ask for a price break, I was younger then, and even stupider!

But when you find the one, you've got to go for it!

I finished up a Doctorate, we moved, we had a 2 year old, so I had to sell this magic Blueberry. I sold it on Ebay, back when there were some decent human beings on there, I pointed out the blemish in photos, and related this storey but the guy that was buying it was worried about the blemish. He bought it, I sent it, then I got an email from him, he was insanely happy with the mic, haha! Then at Christmas, I got a Christmas card from this guy! Hahaha! You ever get a Christmas card from an ebay buyer! He was that happy with the mic! It was like the Pic of Destiny.

Seriously now, though, question, if I may!

You bought a 2020 Custom, right? Were there black 2020 Customs made with anything other than ebony as fretboard wood? The 2019 Customs have the new Kalamazoo?

ALSO, if anyone knows - the 2020 Custom has two gold pickup screws per pickup, and four blacked out screws for each pickup ring. Is there a Custom model with the new Kalamazoo headstock where the pickup rings have gold screws?

Strange Q, but it is keeping me up at nights!

Musha Ring

Reaction score
Seriously now, though, question, if I may!

You bought a 2020 Custom, right? Were there black 2020 Customs made with anything other than ebony as fretboard wood? The 2019 Customs have the new Kalamazoo?

ALSO, if anyone knows - the 2020 Custom has two gold pickup screws per pickup, and four blacked out screws for each pickup ring. Is there a Custom model with the new Kalamazoo headstock where the pickup rings have gold screws?

Strange Q, but it is keeping me up at nights!
No, I don't believe the 2020 models were made with anything other than ebony fingerboards.

Mounting screws can be had for about 60 cents a screw. So, for about $5 you can have gold screws.

nowaysj

Reaction score
Mounting screws can be had for about 60 cents a screw. So, for about $5 you can have gold screws.
Right-o.

I personally think the Custom looks better with the pickup ring screws being gold, but that is JUST my personal visual aesthetics.

From what I can tell, Epi has used gold screws some years, not gold screws other years.

I'm trying to ID the model and year from photos of a Les Paul Custom that has the new headstock, but also gold mounting screws, AND the fretboard wood looks a little light, like more towards rosewood than ebony. Maybe it is the photo, the lighting, color temperature etc., but it looks more like rosewood, so something doesn't jibe, something doesn't fit. The 2020 Custom, from what I can tell, has an ebony board (which I'd prefer, I'd like a brighter ping at the front edge of blossoming notes), black pickup ring mounting screws, and the new Kalamazoooo.

It could be an older Custom that had a headstock replacement. But I don't know.

I'm totally new to the world of Les Pauls, and there are SO many model names, with modifier adjectives denoting different models that Epi has used over the years... it is so hard to get my bearings, and it seems its hard for serious veterans too, as I've been browsing some threads over the past few days, and I see constant confusion among very knowledgeable posters as to which model was made in what year, with what features/specs, etc.

It's a lot like a shell game!

So, I was just asking real people who own real Customs what they actually got. But I don't want to thread hijack!

Congrats on your Custom, you can tell I'm jelly! Hopefully I can ID the used Custom I'm looking at, and actually meet up with the seller to confirm, not get robbed! and join you in the Custom Club!

All the best!

Latest Threads