NGD 2020 Gibson LP Custom M2M Walnut VOS Mahogany Top has some issues

wjlim22

Reaction score
This is one of the best looking new Customs I have played. I got a great deal on it. It was advertised to have a mahogany top and mahogany body and neck like a 57 reissue Custom. I love the aged binding and yellowed split diamond. The yellowed split diamond is gorgeous in person, kinda hard to see the color in pics. It looks like an early 80s aged color.

The problem is that it was also advertised to have a abr1 bridge which it doesn't and Custombucker pickups which it also doesn't have. I am having a hard time deciding what to do about it. It's brand new from a big dealer. I could return it but it's beautiful. Here are some pics:

20210402_193233.jpg
20210402_193250.jpg
20210402_193103.jpg
20210402_191431.jpg

DaveSG

Reaction score
Is this your M2M? As in, you spec'd the guitar? Is the build sheet/invoice something you have, that lists those items?

If so, the pickups and bridge are items that can be easily changed. I would take it back to where you got it, have them call Gibson, and tell them to make it right. Have them send out a correct bridge, and the correct pickups, and then have the shop give the guitar a pro setup and change it out to the right parts at the same time.

These are not cheap guitars. I would want to be 100% satisfied, but if the base underlying guitar is awesome and you like it, I would try to see if it can get corrected rather than get a brand new guitar.

If this was a M2M that wasn't yours, but advertised by the dealer, is that advertisement something you still have and can point to? I would ask the shop about it and see if they can work with you on it. If they advertised it like that, and you bought it under assumption and for the reason that it had those parts, the advert error is on the dealer and it would be good of them to correct it.

wjlim22

Reaction score
Is this your M2M? As in, you spec'd the guitar? Is the build sheet/invoice something you have, that lists those items?

If so, the pickups and bridge are items that can be easily changed. I would take it back to where you got it, have them call Gibson, and tell them to make it right. Have them send out a correct bridge, and the correct pickups, and then have the shop give the guitar a pro setup and change it out to the right parts at the same time.

These are not cheap guitars. I would want to be 100% satisfied, but if the base underlying guitar is awesome and you like it, I would try to see if it can get corrected rather than get a brand new guitar.
No, I didn't order the M2M. The store did. I just bought it from them. The specs were listed in their listing online.

I like your suggestion. It would be a good route to try.

LesPaul60sTribute

Reaction score
My Heavens that sweet guitar checks all my dream list boxes - I love full mahogany Les Pauls - I would keep that and play/love it to death - Its just stunning!

integra evan

Reaction score
That's a great looking guitar. Was it supposed to have an ABR that was mounted directly into the wood?

Mini Forklift Ⓥ

Reaction score
Wow !! If it sounds half as good as it looks I'd be getting the store to sort the issues, seeing as you have bought something that has technically been falsely advertised

The great deal you got shouldn't really play into the situation IMHO as you have bought something that was incorrectly spec'd. So I would follow up with the store and I'd definitely pursue it - would have thought they'd be willing to help as it's not like you're not looking for a refund on it

wjlim22

Reaction score
That's a great looking guitar. Was it supposed to have an ABR that was mounted directly into the wood?
I'm not 100% sure about the mounting. I think ABR1s are supposed to be directly on the top like you said though. This one is clearly not an ABR1 design just from looking at the bridge itself.

wjlim22

Reaction score
Wow !! If it sounds half as good as it looks I'd be getting the store to sort the issues, seeing as you have bought something that has technically been falsely advertised

The great deal you got shouldn't really play into the situation IMHO as you have bought something that was incorrectly spec'd. So I would follow up with the store and I'd definitely pursue it - would have thought they'd be willing to help as it's not like you're not looking for a refund on it
It does sound excellent, and I've only played it a little today. When the strings and the guitar get broken in, this thing will be amazing as is, but I am going to try to see if it can be corrected.

Cjsinla

Reaction score
No chance to make it like an old school ABR-1 but you could always buy an ABR-1 that fits Nashville studs.

jskidder

Reaction score
I think the issue with the bridge is Gibson's marketing lingo. They list all their bridges as being ABR-1, even on their USA products, despite the fact that they are not traditional ABR-1 bridges. Look at their own specs for a 50s Standard, for example:

endial

Reaction score
That is arguably prettier than mine. Beautiful grain on yours! '57 Reissue, so it has the same neck, which is very nice.
Congrats! I hope you can work out the issues or learn to live with it as is. Such nice guitars.
20180512_043205.jpg

Cjsinla

Reaction score
I think the issue with the bridge is Gibson's marketing lingo. They list all their bridges as being ABR-1, even on their USA products, despite the fact that they are not traditional ABR-1 bridges. Look at their own specs for a 50s Standard, for example:

Those bridges are ABR-1’s, they just thread into a bushing instead of wood.

DaveSG

Reaction score
I didn't think much about it, but the guitar store could have even just made a simple mistake. I would approach them honestly and just see what they say. If they are cool, and you can show them where they advertised it incorrectly, I would think they would totally work with you. If that was my shop, and I did that, I'd chalk it up to an honest mistake...but also make it right w/ the customer, which would mean getting some custombuckers, and one of the new ABR-1s (that is a retrofit), and swapping and setting up your guitar w/ your strings of choice.

wjlim22

Reaction score
I didn't think much about it, but the guitar store could have even just made a simple mistake. I would approach them honestly and just see what they say. If they are cool, and you can show them where they advertised it incorrectly, I would think they would totally work with you. If that was my shop, and I did that, I'd chalk it up to an honest mistake...but also make it right w/ the customer, which would mean getting some custombuckers, and one of the new ABR-1s (that is a retrofit), and swapping and setting up your guitar w/ your strings of choice.
They gave me some options. I decided to send it back and have Gibson correct everything.

Latest Threads