NGD 2020 Epiphone LP Special TV Yellow

Mimmo

Reaction score
Hi

A few days ago I got this baby. She is stunning look wise, has a very good weight (I'd say around 7.7 lbs) and the sound is there. I played it immediately (set-up from the shop was quite good, not perfect but definitely playable) and started noticing something I wouldn't have expected: cramps on my fretting hand
:confused:

I didn't know what to think: I have pretty big hands and always dig big chunky necks. My favourite one is the one on my 52 telecaster and my absolute #1 was the neck on my original Broadcaster. So how was it possible? I have tried not to think about it and kept playing, thinking that probably my hand would have got used to it. Long story short, after three days of hard playing the cramps were still there, so I decided (couldn't believe it myself!) to contact the shop and send it back to get refund.

However this morning - don't know why - the guitar who was back in the carton called my name. Before even plugging it in I decided to set my strap a little shorter so that the guitar would have been closer to my chest: and that magic moment was there! it was a simple matter of height, usually I play my tele's quite low (not Ramone low
:D
) and in this position the Spacial was unplayable for me. Going higher fixed the problem and now I am the happy owner of a real rock beast
:cool:

Just got a crappy cell couch pic with one of my kittens checking it out, the guitar got its approval!

Special 1.jpg

DrBGood

Reaction score
Too bad you thought about the strap, I would have bought it from you.

:rofl:

Kidding. But isn't it crazy how you can be set in your ways to a point where it'll make you return it for no good reason ? Makes me think of people changing pickups because the ones on the guitar sound like crap, when all they have to do is use a simple screwdriver to adjust their height and find their sweet spot.

I'm happy you found out just in time. Lesson learned ?

Mimmo

Reaction score
Too bad you thought about the strap, I would have bought it from you.

:rofl:

Kidding. But isn't it crazy how you can be set in your ways to a point where it'll make you return it for no good reason ? Makes me think of people changing pickups because the ones on the guitar sound like crap, when all they have to do is use a simple screwdriver to adjust their height and find their sweet spot.

I'm happy you found out just in time. Lesson learned ?
Yeah, it was a crazy moment! I am a Tele player down to the bones and the last Les Paul I played was several (and I mean MANY) years ago. So I just put one of my strap on, thinking that it would be OK and forgetting that Telecasters and Les Paul's are different animals. Changing the length of the strap was so obvious, it should have been the first thong to do. Me stupid!!

Your example about the pickups is perfect: after playing with my screwdriver, my humble MIM 60s Tele has become my main gigging guitar, go figure.

Now it's time to enjoy the new baby, waiting for my Gibson LP Junior..

DrBGood

Reaction score
Is this your first P90 guitar ? If so, you should know that of most pickups, they are the most sensitive to height. Too low they sound thin, too high they can be ice pick or boomy. If you want to experiment, here's how I adjust them and I haven't yet tried a set I didn't like.

I set the bridge pickup (measured at the pole) height to about two credit card thickness distance from bottom of strings (1/8" or ±3mm). No closer, or magnets will dampen sustain. If it sounds good, I leave it there. Too hot ? ½ turn of each screw at a time to lower it where I want it. Check it clean AND with overdrive. Once I have that one at the sweet spot, I go to the neck.

Neck tone has to be different from middle position. Many people have neck pup adjusted so it gives the same tonality as middle position. Not good. Neck pup has to be adjusted so middle position gets a quacky tone, kinda Strat like. You'll know what I mean when you get there.

So, I raise the neck pup until it starts to sound boomy. Notes will seem to be overwhelmed with too much bass. Now lower it a full screw turn and compare it to middle. If it sounds the same, it is still too high. I go on until I hear three different balanced tones out of the three switch positions.

Take your time, it's worth it. Do it a second time to make sure you really found their sweet spot. That's a fun adjustment and it is by far the cheapest modification you can do to a guitar and probably the one that has the most drastic effect on tone.

Mimmo

Reaction score
Is this your first P90 guitar ? If so, you should know that of most pickups, they are the most sensitive to height. Too low they sound thin, too high they can be ice pick or boomy. If you want to experiment, here's how I adjust them and I haven't yet tried a set I didn't like.

I set the bridge pickup (measured at the pole) height to about two credit card thickness distance from bottom of strings (1/8" or ±3mm). No closer, or magnets will dampen sustain. If it sounds good, I leave it there. Too hot ? ½ turn of each screw at a time to lower it where I want it. Check it clean AND with overdrive. Once I have that one at the sweet spot, I go to the neck.

Neck tone has to be different from middle position. Many people have neck pup adjusted so it gives the same tonality as middle position. Not good. Neck pup has to be adjusted so middle position gets a quacky tone, kinda Strat like. You'll know what I mean when you get there.

So, I raise the neck pup until it starts to sound boomy. Notes will seem to be overwhelmed with too much bass. Now lower it a full screw turn and compare it to middle. If it sounds the same, it is still too high. I go on until I hear three different balanced tones out of the three switch positions.

Take your time, it's worth it. Do it a second time to make sure you really found their sweet spot. That's a fun adjustment and it is by far the cheapest modification you can do to a guitar and probably the one that has the most drastic effect on tone.
No, it's not my first P90 guitar but I have never been into this kind of stuff, used to just plug in and play.
Probably that's the reason why I got rid of my other P90 equipped guitars.

So, a big THANK YOU for your tips on P90 pickups! Like everyone else I have a lot of spare time in this period so I will check my pickups height and follow your tips.

Thank you very much Dr! :dude:

DrBGood

Reaction score
You're welcome and make sure you do your sound tests on clean and dirt.

Mimmo

Reaction score
You're welcome and make sure you do your sound tests on clean and dirt.
Hi Dr, yesterday I have played with my screwdriver and the P90's and you know what?
It was night and day! I was shocked at the middle position, it is really almost as a strat, never heard something like this before. The neck is creamy and the bridge...well, the bridge is a beast!

Very versatile combo, thank you so much!

jbash

Reaction score

Good advice for p90s or humbuckers in dialing in the mid position.

DrBGood

Reaction score
I've long been pushing here and there this way of adjusting P90s and rarely get a feedback on its result. Happy to have helped you find those sweet tones.

Kalamazuu

Reaction score
Looks great, love the color, and I've been needing some P90s for years now lol. The headstock looks much better than the Epi I used to have too

Mimmo

Reaction score
I've long been pushing here and there this way of adjusting P90s and rarely get a feedback on its result. Happy to have helped you find those sweet tones.
I felt"obliged" to thank you: your advice was priceless, it really turned my Special into a tone monster. Much appreciated Sir.

Mimmo

Reaction score
Looks great, love the color, and I've been needing some P90s for years now lol. The headstock looks much better than the Epi I used to have too
Yeah, as soon as I saw the new headstock I knew I would have bought one of these beauties!
Maybe an SG is in my future too...

Ronaldo

Reaction score
Do you think that Gibson/Epiphone decided to change the Epiphone headstock design because
A. It was time to make a change
B. They wanted to go back in history
C. Because so many people on MLP hated the old design
D. To sell more guitars because Gibson sales were down

medic24

Reaction score
Do you think that Gibson/Epiphone decided to change the Epiphone headstock design because
A. It was time to make a change
B. They wanted to go back in history
C. Because so many people on MLP hated the old design
D. To sell more guitars because Gibson sales were down
Yes.

lpfan1980

Reaction score
Hi

A few days ago I got this baby. She is stunning look wise, has a very good weight (I'd say around 7.7 lbs) and the sound is there. I played it immediately (set-up from the shop was quite good, not perfect but definitely playable) and started noticing something I wouldn't have expected: cramps on my fretting hand

I didn't know what to think: I have pretty big hands and always dig big chunky necks. My favourite one is the one on my 52 telecaster and my absolute #1 was the neck on my original Broadcaster. So how was it possible? I have tried not to think about it and kept playing, thinking that probably my hand would have got used to it. Long story short, after three days of hard playing the cramps were still there, so I decided (couldn't believe it myself!) to contact the shop and send it back to get refund.

However this morning - don't know why - the guitar who was back in the carton called my name. Before even plugging it in I decided to set my strap a little shorter so that the guitar would have been closer to my chest: and that magic moment was there! it was a simple matter of height, usually I play my tele's quite low (not Ramone low
) and in this position the Spacial was unplayable for me. Going higher fixed the problem and now I am the happy owner of a real rock beast
:cool:

Just got a crappy cell couch pic with one of my kittens checking it out, the guitar got its approval!

View attachment 453817
AWESOMME! LOOKS LIKE A KEEPER. :cheers:

Latest Threads