NGD: 2019 SG Standard ‘61 Vibrola

tolm

Bigsby Junkie
Reaction score
The fine-tuning of the collection continues ... recently switched out an SG Special for a Gretsch Duo Jet and then (after year’s of procrastination!) finally fitted dogear P90s to my 335. Which of course led me to needing a guitar with (non Filtertron) humbuckers. Wanted an SG with Vibrola for ages so off to Andertons I went ...

So far - very pleased with it. Fit and finish is right up there with the best Gibson’s I’ve had (all three of the ones I looked at in the shop were consistent too) and the “vintage cherry” is the perfect not too bright / not too faded shade for my liking.

Neck is a little slimmer than I’m used to but has a decent “shoulder” on it and is very comfortable. Balances perfectly on the strap too - I’m sure helped by the added weight from the trem. :)

I have a set of WCR Crossroads pickups lying about but not sure if I’ll pop ‘em in or not - the stock 61R/T sound pretty good to me ... I guess we’ll see, I need to restring it with some Elixirs at some point ...

lpfan1980

Reaction score
Nifty SG
The fine-tuning of the collection continues ... recently switched out an SG Special for a Gretsch Duo Jet and then (after year’s of procrastination!) finally fitted dogear P90s to my 335. Which of course led me to needing a guitar with (non Filtertron) humbuckers. Wanted an SG with Vibrola for ages so off to Andertons I went ...

So far - very pleased with it. Fit and finish is right up there with the best Gibson’s I’ve had (all three of the ones I looked at in the shop were consistent too) and the “vintage cherry” is the perfect not too bright / not too faded shade for my liking.

Neck is a little slimmer than I’m used to but has a decent “shoulder” on it and is very comfortable. Balances perfectly on the strap too - I’m sure helped by the added weight from the trem. :)

I have a set of WCR Crossroads pickups lying about but not sure if I’ll pop ‘em in or not - the stock 61R/T sound pretty good to me ... I guess we’ll see, I need to restring it with some Elixirs at some point ...
!+335!

MSB

Reaction score
When I think SG, that is what comes to mind... classic beauty.

tolm

Bigsby Junkie
Reaction score
*UPDATE*

Fitted a set of my favoured Elixir 46-10 gauge strings today and - whilst I was there - figured I should at least try the WCR Crossroads humbuckers in there. After possibly my worst soldering job in history (just could not get the earth connections to stick to the back of the pots ...) it was finally done. I feel bad - the Gibson job was impeccable and now it's a hack, but everything works and there's no buzzing so I think it's solid enough. ;)

Result? Well, if I'm being honest, it's probably the first time I've switched to aftermarket pickups and not considered the tone to be objectively "better". It's more of what I'm after - slightly less output, airier, less compressed, more "vocal" sounding - but I'd say it's very much a taste thing, I'd have no issues going back to the '61s at all. It should definitely balance better with my 335 for switching between guitars without changing amp/pedal settings, as well.

Slick Willy

Reaction score
Awesome guitar. My friend has one and it’s a rocking machine.

KelvinS1965

Reaction score
Lovely SG and not a million miles away from me either if you shop in Andertons (I've only ever seen Rabea briefly :)). I also took out the 61T/R out of my Cherry SG standard this weekend and got similar results to you, but I used some DiMarzio 36th Anniversary pickups since I already had the neck one from a previous guitar.

You need a chunky soldering iron to do the earthing on the back of the pots, so might be worth getting a spare one (or some different tips if you can change them on yours). Might help it last longer if the joints didn't 'take' very well.

tolm

Bigsby Junkie
Reaction score
Lovely SG and not a million miles away from me either if you shop in Andertons (I've only ever seen Rabea briefly :)). I also took out the 61T/R out of my Cherry SG standard this weekend and got similar results to you, but I used some DiMarzio 36th Anniversary pickups since I already had the neck one from a previous guitar.

You need a chunky soldering iron to do the earthing on the back of the pots, so might be worth getting a spare one (or some different tips if you can change them on yours). Might help it last longer if the joints didn't 'take' very well.
yeh ... I have an old butane one that I know is not up to the job so I bought a proper electric one but I can never be bothered to drag it out, set up near a plug socket, etc ... my own stupid fault!!

In the end I pulled back the “sheathing” a little on a couple of the wires already solidly connected to the back of the pots by the good folks in Nashville, wrapped the new earth wires around those and then melted solder over the connections ... it’s actually very solid and would have been really quick if only I’d not wasted so much time trying to solder directly to the pots first!!

Latest Threads