NGD: 2019 Original Collection Les Paul 60s Standard Unburst

jstarr823

Starr Guitar Works
Premium Member
Reaction score
Just showed up this morning. Purchased from MF with the current 48 month 0% financing promo.

Real quick overview:

Quality is really nice. Top is nicer than I expected. Neck is nice, not too slim. Pretty hefty at 9 pounds 15 ounces, but oddly doesn't feel that heavy. Fretboard isn't dry, but still could use a very light oiling. Switch tip was broken and the included blank truss rod cover was just tossed in the case compartment with no plastic bag or the such. Definitely not anything near a deal breaker, but just noted. I tossed on a set of vintage embossed gold top hats for the hell of it.

A few quick pics. I did film an unboxing video that I'll try to post to my YouTube channel later. Feel free to ask any questions. Cheers!

Attachments

Last edited:

danzego

Reaction score
Looks great! Lame about the Switch tip. When I got my 50s Standard, the Switch tip was in a baggie inside the compartment. Like yours, the blank truss rod cover was just hanging out in there, ready to get scratched up. Thanks, Gibson! :slap:

I noticed the same thing with my 50s Standard in regards to the weight. 9lbs and 9.75 oz, but it didn’t feel like it. My 2019 Traditional is a bit over an ounce lighter but feels heavier. Interesting.

So everything is cool with the fit and finish? No ridges on the neck and everything is neat on the bass side binding along and into the neck pocket? :)

jstarr823

Starr Guitar Works
Premium Member
Reaction score
A few more pics and notes:

1. The top has a nice carve & dish. Seems slightly more pronounced than any other LPs as of late. (hard to capture in pics, but I tried in the 1st one below).

2. Shipped with the Tailpiece decked... Which is how I setup mine anyway.

3. No issues with the binding as asked by @danzego (pic below).

4. Fit & finish is really nice.

5. Gibson finally listed to the complaints and put a small felt pad on the pickguard screw so the top doesn't get damaged (pic below... no dent in the beautiful top!)

@mudface I haven't had enough play time in it. Had to go to an open house today, so I had just enough time to unbox and do a quick jam. More on this later.

MSB

Reaction score
lol to gibson for thinking about the customer with the felt pad.... no dent on the top, but still two holes.

danzego

Reaction score
A few more pics and notes:

1. The top has a nice carve & dish. Seems slightly more pronounced than any other LPs as of late. (hard to capture in pics, but I tried in the 1st one below).

2. Shipped with the Tailpiece decked... Which is how I setup mine anyway.

3. No issues with the binding as asked by @danzego (pic below).

4. Fit & finish is really nice.

5. Gibson finally listed to the complaints and put a small felt pad on the pickguard screw so the top doesn't get damaged (pic below... no dent in the beautiful top!)

@mudface I haven't had enough play time in it. Had to go to an open house today, so I had just enough time to unbox and do a quick jam. More on this later.

That’s great! I’m hoping my replacement comes without issues. It’s nice to see you got a winner.

danzego

Reaction score
There was talk in another thread about fret size on these new models. I thought in the couple of weeks that I played my 50’s Standard, it felt fantastic and they played very smoothly. I wouldn’t say the fret size is as high as was suggested in that thread, though. In fact, I feel the fret height was closer to the “Low” profile that Gibson used in the 2019 line. What’s your take on them, jstarr?

jstarr823

Starr Guitar Works
Premium Member
Reaction score
congrats looks like a nice guitar but what happened to the 2019 R8 idea?
Well... I went and played a bunch of R8s, R9s, and R0s. Found that I actually preferred the R0. Then I played a 60s Standard in Bourbon Burst. I kept going back and forth between the Gloss R0 and the 60s Standard. At the end of the day, the Standard was just too nice and too close to the R0 to justify paying $4000 more. Yes... $2499 for the Standard and $6499 for the R0. And yes, I understand that I could have purchased used for much less, but circumstances are such that this needs to be one of the last LPs that I purchase. That being said, I wanted something new. A guitar that only I owned from new. I’ve purchased & traded for a lot of used guitars lately, and it was time I bought something to hold onto for the long haul.

jstarr823

Starr Guitar Works
Premium Member
Reaction score
There was talk in another thread about fret size on these new models. I thought in the couple of weeks that I played my 50’s Standard, it felt fantastic and they played very smoothly. I wouldn’t say the fret size is as high as was suggested in that thread, though. In fact, I feel the fret height was closer to the “Low” profile that Gibson used in the 2019 line. What’s your take on them, jstarr?
Agreed. They feel like any other LP. Then again, I don’t get too wound up on fret size or neck profile unless they’re absolutely ridiculous in either direction.