NGD 2019 LP Standard 50's

jon123

Reaction score
Long time since I posted. This guitar should be here within 24 hours, these are the pics of the guitar from Sweetwater. I am a livingroom player with occasional gigs in the kitchen. I'm an old guy with gray hair reliving my youth. I've practiced on and off for years and now I am back.

I picked this one out for two reasons:

1. Weight, right under 9#.

2. 50's neck. Took a chance with this, I researched it quite a bit. Some say better tone with the bigger neck. I have big hands and previously have not liked the smaller necks on the few guitars I have held.

2. I wanted one a step above a plain body with just a few flames. I passed on several that were spectacular but not for me. The flames were somewhat balanced and seemed pleasing, but well, I really can't see em' when your playing.

I'll find out how I did in this lottery tomorrow. Looks to me that the two bass side saddles are flipped from the factory which apparently is pretty normal if my eyes are not lying.

Last edited:

integra evan

Reaction score
Very nice! That top probably has a lot of movement and depth in it! Enjoy!

laterider

Reaction score
Welcome back and very nice choice!!!

I had to laugh when I read your post because I've actually had gigs in our kitchen!

lpfan1980

Reaction score
As a pro livingroom player with occasional gigs in the bedroom That is one cute LP I figure you dont have to to tour or not suck to own a Gibson you just have to appreciate guitars congrats.

Deathray

Reaction score
Big congrats! My standard 50s got here last Thursday. You‘re going to love it!
The neck, the pickups, the smell of the nitro. A homerun by Gibson.

Guitpicky

Reaction score
Nice score!

It doesn't matter which way the saddles are facing as long as it intonates properly without running out of adjustment :)

jon123

Reaction score
Big congrats! My standard 50s got here last Thursday. You‘re going to love it!
The neck, the pickups, the smell of the nitro. A homerun by Gibson.
Well, that's a new one. I know the new car smell, but I didn't know it applied to guitars!

I swear when I open the case that the first thing I do will be to do some one on one huffing! Should be here in a few hours.

Angus Rhoads

Reaction score
Long time since I posted. This guitar should be here within 24 hours, these are the pics of the guitar from Sweetwater. I am a livingroom player with occasional gigs in the kitchen. I'm an old guy with gray hair reliving my youth. I've practiced on and off for years and now I am back.

I picked this one out for two reasons:

1. Weight, right under 9#.

2. 50's neck. Took a chance with this, I researched it quite a bit. Some say better tone with the bigger neck. I have big hands and previously have not liked the smaller necks on the few guitars I have held.

2. I wanted one a step above a plain body with just a few flames. I passed on several that were spectacular but not for me. The flames were somewhat balanced and seemed pleasing, but well, I really can't see em' when your playing.

I'll find out how I did in this lottery tomorrow. Looks to me that the two bass side saddles are flipped from the factory which apparently is pretty normal if my eyes are not lying.

Congrats, recently bought one of these myself (also HCS), you're going to love it.

jon123

Reaction score
Well, here it is in person, no I did not wait the 24 hours, it's not cold here.

I looked it over and noticed a bad buzzing sound when (all) the strings are plucked. Not from the frets, you could hear it when it was fretted at the highest fret. A bad sound. It took me a bit to figure this out, but I took a can of compressed air and blew the bridge out with it. Problem solved. Right before I hit it with the air, I did think I saw a small sliver of something. Don't know, problem solved.

As far as intonation goes, I checked it with my Polytune and it's pretty much spot on. Looks like even though the two saddles on the bottom side are reversed, I think it would still be OK flipped back. As far as string buzzing...it had quite a bit at first but is improving. I'll let it settle for a couple days. High E sounds like a Sitar. That's fine.

I've included a few close ups. I live in a big city and have a couple reputable places I will probably let them have a look at it. Maybe go over the saddles, look at the nut and adjust the truss rod. I know I can do some of this myself, but for the first time, I'll let an expert look at it. I plan on keeping this a long time and it will probably be the last guitar I ever purchase (I'm in my early 50's), and in those 50 years this is the 3rd guitar I have purchased, the first two being custom Carvins which are some real fine Made In USA workhorse guitars.

I can't really play all that well but I'll say this. I worship the guitar playing of many including Charlie Daniels (yes he could play the fiddle, but he could sure play a LP), Toy Caldwell, Duane Allman, Joe Walsh, Leslie West and even many not associated with Gibson including Willie Nelson, Waylon Jennings and far too many to mention. To me the Les Paul is a tradition, not some come and go new whiz bang thing. Just like a good pair of jeans or a faded T-Shirt this guitar will never go out of style.

Edit: Didn't mean to forget Dickey Betts!

Some pics, first of the nut:

Last edited:

Deathray

Reaction score
Beautiful! And of course, the “baby picture”. How about that sweet Nitrocellulose smell?

integra evan

Reaction score
Lovely top on that one! Enjoy it! The reverse saddles are fine and quite common.

jon123

Reaction score
Beautiful! And of course, the “baby picture”. How about that sweet Nitrocellulose smell?
[/QUOTE

Yes, the first thing I did was to take a whiff along with the wife. It does have a smell that says I was made in USA by a group of human beings that cared to get a good product out. The fit and finish are on par with my two Made In USA Carvins I have and hold in a high regard. You'll notice a theme in this thread, Made In USA. I'm not slamming any other guitar company, it's just the way I roll.

anorton

Reaction score
Pretty top! Here’s to many years of LP playing. Cheers.