NGD - 2019 Les Paul Tribute

metalmike222

Reaction score
At lunch today, I brought home my new (to me) 2019 Les Paul Tribute in Cherry Sunburst. Found it in a pawn shop for $560 a few months ago and put it on layaway so my wife wouldn't kill me for buying ANOTHER guitar this year (Already bought 2 other guitars and 4 amps). Haven't even plugged it in yet to hear it cranked, but it plays really well. I'll plug it in after I'm done working for the day. It's it very good condition with only the slightest pick wear on the top. The pick guard even still has the protective film on it.

This is actually the first Cherry Sunburst guitar I've ever owned, so it's a little bit different for me. It's also Gibson #5 in the current family, and Les Paul #3, if you count an LPJ as an actual Les Paul, which I do.

metalmike222

Reaction score
Thanks! I'm about to slap a fresh set of strings on it and make some racket! Only downside is that it didn't come with the nice Gibson padded case, but I can live with that for the price.

metalmike222

Reaction score
Played on it for a good half hour and swapped around a few others to compare sound. Not nearly as brittle sounding as the LPJ (which is a very good thing), but not as ballsy as my Norlin Standard with crazy hot pickups, which I expected. Short version is that I really like the way it sounds. The fret board was insanely dried out and immediately soaked up every drop of lemon oil I put on it, and it definitely needs some Big Bends Nut Sauce to deal with tuning stability, but it sounds really good.

PauloQS

Reaction score
Played on it for a good half hour and swapped around a few others to compare sound. Not nearly as brittle sounding as the LPJ (which is a very good thing), but not as ballsy as my Norlin Standard with crazy hot pickups, which I expected. Short version is that I really like the way it sounds. The fret board was insanely dried out and immediately soaked up every drop of lemon oil I put on it, and it definitely needs some Big Bends Nut Sauce to deal with tuning stability, but it sounds really good.
Check if the slots are binding the strings. The Nut is Plek’d too alongside the frets, but it appears that the Plek machine basically just makes guide slots to achieve perfect location and angle on the slots for the G and D. In my experience the depth and width of the slots are often a bit off. If the strings are stretched properly and you’re still have issues with tuning instability, I highly suspect the slots are too tight.

metalmike222

Reaction score
Definitely could be. Going to take it to my buddy for a proper setup in a few weeks, so he'll be able to find and fix any issues with the nut.

Latest Threads