NGD: 2019 Les Paul Custom (Black w/ Ebony FB)

eelster

Reaction score
I'm thinking to but a LPC at the moment and I have a 2012 Traditional, they are pretty much the same 2011 and 2012 aren't they. So how do they compare, in terms of tone and playability, weight etc. How do the 490R and 498T pickups compare to the 57 classics in your opinion?

Sadly I will need to sell my Traditional to fund the LPC so I just wanted to have an opinion.

musicmaniac

Reaction score
Sweet, I'm digging the gold speed knobs too! I had a similar experience back in 1981. I purchased another guitar because I couldn't afford the Gold Top Gibson @ $600. Finally got my GT many years later and it was worth the wait. Enjoy! :cheers:

PeteNJ75

Reaction score
Man, very nice guitar. You are making me miss my old custom that I sold. I had a ‘68 Historic with the yellowed binding and real ebony board and it was an awesome guitar. They really do sound more “hi-fi” as you say vs. a burst, which I really like. Congrats!

mrdannyboy

Reaction score
Flucing amazing dude. Congrats it’s s beauty. Ha ha. See what I did there by accident.

jamhandy

Reaction score
beautiful guitar... ibut...

if you wanted one with cream pickups, why didn't you buy one like that, instead of fokking up a perfectly good 2019 master piece.... mark my words, the 2019s are going to be worth more later than any Gibson made in the last 20 years by Henry the Humperdinkle's leadership

please don't rape that guitar with tinker syndrome... making it instantly useless on the for sale market

kind of like my red neck friend who married a woman who had a pristine mint 1980 Vette still only has 30k original miles... he JUST HAD TO swap out the original stereo for some Chinese piece of crap... (and its already stopped working after less than a year)... not to mention he can't wait to put "thiose blue LED lights" under every part of the Vette "cause he think they look nice"

Tell you what, you guarantee me you won't fokk up that gorgeous brand new 2019 beauty, and I'l GIVE you a black Epiphone yoyu can turn into a guitar looking EXACTLY like Al Dimeloa's guitar

reminds me of... one time when I saw a sort of fairly new R9 on one of the more popular used places... but someone had swapped out the pickups... I emailed my (too overly rich) cousin in Atalanta who also plays guitar... and I asked him sort of matter of factly... "what kind of dumbass spends that kind of jack on a guitar, then swaps the pickups???'

he wrote me back... "that was my guitar"

hahahaha

jamhandy

Reaction score
haha... IMHO, if you do actually burn the original pickups out of that thing and place some kind of idiotic Al Dimeola looking pups in it...

... I vote they permanently revoke your guitar buying license.... LOL

vintageguitarz

Reaction score
Hey there,
It’s been a while since I posted a new Gibson NGD, but here it goes...
(I’ll post pics in the next post...)

My guy from Sweetwater, (yes, I have a “guy”. :)) called me last week to let me know he received a single new 2019 LP Custom. They had last year’s model in stock earlier, but it had a richlite fingerboard. Not that there’s anything actually wrong with richlite, but knowing that Gibson promised ‘real ebony’ again in 2019, I decided to wait.

Well, he called, sent me pics (funny, all Black LP Customs look exactly the same, it’s not like buying a burst, where every top is completely different...)
Ordered on Friday, showed up on Saturday (after the FedEx guy left the box balanced on it’s short edge in the middle of my driveway... nice job Fedex :-(

I rescued it before it fell on it’s face, and took her inside to unbox.

My first impression was - “there’s no way this weighs 10 lbs....”.... But, it does. (9Lbs 15 oz... actually)
Doesn’t feel any heavier than my 2012 Trad that weighs 8lbs 11oz.

But wow.... what a neck... holy crap... thinner and SO MUCH faster than my Traditional. Much better binding work, better cut nut, and that EBONY feels so fast.
The tone acoustically is loud and very bright/clear... moreso than my Trad, which I still love. The Trad is warmer, and the Custom more ‘Hi Fi’ if that makes sense. (Also - it had new strings, still fresh - it was QC’s just a week before I bought it)

Plugged in, it sounds crisp and full... but my wife says I play better on it. The smaller neck DOES make me play differently... I still wouldn’t say it makes me play “good” though... :-(

QC wise, the guitar was perfect except for some minor nicks/gouging in the multiply binding. I’m keeping it.
Is this an Advertisement for Sweetwater?? Sure sounds like one.

vintageguitarz

Reaction score
:rofl:
You know the numbers they make each year?
Ditto that!! I have to LMAO at all the goofs that think a 20-year-old guitar is "Vintage" and got to be worth more than the purchased price. What a laugh!

The jury hasn't even gone into deliberation as to whether the 2019 Gibsons are any better than the crap made under Henry Jerkowicsz the blunderer. I've seen a couple SG's and LP's come in to my shop for fine tuning work (not warranty) and I am still not impressed. They were not the quality of that even made in the 80's or 90's.

Don't forget, it's not just the Execs that spoil the fruit, it's the managers, floor supervisors and the workers on the machines (now that everything is CNC and automated. When I started at Fender in the 70's as a floor supervisor / Luthier / custom shop mamager, we got rid of sloppy workers fast, and management backed us in hiring the best we could find since 2nds and 3rds and discards cost you more in wasted fine woods and PuP's that paying a worker better to get them and keep them. I have not heard of any chasing the rats off the ship at Gibson.

But like I said before, this thread sounds more like a pimping for Sweetwater than a discussion of what's good or bad about the new guitar.

PauloQS

Reaction score
I'm thinking to but a LPC at the moment and I have a 2012 Traditional, they are pretty much the same 2011 and 2012 aren't they. So how do they compare, in terms of tone and playability, weight etc. How do the 490R and 498T pickups compare to the 57 classics in your opinion?

Sadly I will need to sell my Traditional to fund the LPC so I just wanted to have an opinion.
Personally I like the Classic 57 better than the 490/498. They aren't worlds apart, but I think the Classic 57 is one of the best pickups Gibson currently make. I think the 490/498 have a tiny bit more output (maybe someone can correct me if I'm wrong), and sounds a tad darker. However, I think the 490/498 are a good match to these LPCs. I think LP Custom are at a different build quality level than a Gibson USA LP Traditional. Although I haven't played any of the 2012 models, I believe I've heard good things about it. With that said, LP Traditionals, which now are essentially the current Standard 50s, are killer guitars. I honestly don't know what I'd do in your place. Two or three years ago, I'd say I'd keep the Traditional, but now I don't know if I'd do that. I you think it would inspire you more, than go for it. If your traditional have any sentimental value, then don't do it. I recently thought about sacrificing a LP Standard to get an R9, but I just couldn't part ways with it because of sentimental value. I did end up sacrificing an R0 instead to get my R9 and I couldn't be happier with my decision.

519tbarr

Reaction score
The return of the Les Paul Custom Black Beauty with an ebony fingerboard is definitely on top of the list for me for a new guitar.
If finances permit id love to get a couple and do up at least one of them Ronno style!
Enjoy that beautiful Custom.

Hey there,
It’s been a while since I posted a new Gibson NGD, but here it goes...
(I’ll post pics in the next post...)

My guy from Sweetwater, (yes, I have a “guy”. :)) called me last week to let me know he received a single new 2019 LP Custom. They had last year’s model in stock earlier, but it had a richlite fingerboard. Not that there’s anything actually wrong with richlite, but knowing that Gibson promised ‘real ebony’ again in 2019, I decided to wait.

Well, he called, sent me pics (funny, all Black LP Customs look exactly the same, it’s not like buying a burst, where every top is completely different...)
Ordered on Friday, showed up on Saturday (after the FedEx guy left the box balanced on it’s short edge in the middle of my driveway... nice job Fedex :-(

I rescued it before it fell on it’s face, and took her inside to unbox.

My first impression was - “there’s no way this weighs 10 lbs....”.... But, it does. (9Lbs 15 oz... actually)
Doesn’t feel any heavier than my 2012 Trad that weighs 8lbs 11oz.

But wow.... what a neck... holy crap... thinner and SO MUCH faster than my Traditional. Much better binding work, better cut nut, and that EBONY feels so fast.
The tone acoustically is loud and very bright/clear... moreso than my Trad, which I still love. The Trad is warmer, and the Custom more ‘Hi Fi’ if that makes sense. (Also - it had new strings, still fresh - it was QC’s just a week before I bought it)

Plugged in, it sounds crisp and full... but my wife says I play better on it. The smaller neck DOES make me play differently... I still wouldn’t say it makes me play “good” though... :-(

QC wise, the guitar was perfect except for some minor nicks/gouging in the multiply binding. I’m keeping it.

Here’s a shot I have handy, more to come.
View attachment 382859

modavis99

Silver Supporter
Reaction score
reminds me of... one time when I saw a sort of fairly new R9 on one of the more popular used places... but someone had swapped out the pickups... I emailed my (too overly rich) cousin in Atalanta who also plays guitar... and I asked him sort of matter of factly... "what kind of dumbass spends that kind of jack on a guitar, then swaps the pickups???'
hahahaha
I know you were having a laugh, but I swap pickups on my historics because I prefer ther one of the replacement pickups. I gig my historics

Rockhard

Reaction score
Nice ! I had a wine 79 Custom and lately been eyeing up Black Beauties .

BeanoFAN

Reaction score
beautiful guitar... ibut...

if you wanted one with cream pickups, why didn't you buy one like that, instead of fokking up a perfectly good 2019 master piece.... mark my words, the 2019s are going to be worth more later than any Gibson made in the last 20 years by Henry the Humperdinkle's leadership

please don't rape that guitar with tinker syndrome... making it instantly useless on the for sale market

kind of like my red neck friend who married a woman who had a pristine mint 1980 Vette still only has 30k original miles... he JUST HAD TO swap out the original stereo for some Chinese piece of crap... (and its already stopped working after less than a year)... not to mention he can't wait to put "thiose blue LED lights" under every part of the Vette "cause he think they look nice"

Tell you what, you guarantee me you won't fokk up that gorgeous brand new 2019 beauty, and I'l GIVE you a black Epiphone yoyu can turn into a guitar looking EXACTLY like Al Dimeloa's guitar

hahahaha
How much did you contribute to his purchase in order for you to tell him what to do with his guitar?

Does he also have to ask permission to switch string gauges :rofl:

eelster

Reaction score
Personally I like the Classic 57 better than the 490/498. They aren't worlds apart, but I think the Classic 57 is one of the best pickups Gibson currently make. I think the 490/498 have a tiny bit more output (maybe someone can correct me if I'm wrong), and sounds a tad darker. However, I think the 490/498 are a good match to these LPCs. I think LP Custom are at a different build quality level than a Gibson USA LP Traditional. Although I haven't played any of the 2012 models, I believe I've heard good things about it. With that said, LP Traditionals, which now are essentially the current Standard 50s, are killer guitars. I honestly don't know what I'd do in your place. Two or three years ago, I'd say I'd keep the Traditional, but now I don't know if I'd do that. I you think it would inspire you more, than go for it. If your traditional have any sentimental value, then don't do it. I recently thought about sacrificing a LP Standard to get an R9, but I just couldn't part ways with it because of sentimental value. I did end up sacrificing an R0 instead to get my R9 and I couldn't be happier with my decision.
Hey mate, thanks for your opinions. My traditional has some sentimental value to it actually, I know when all the dings happened etc. I bought it from Orlando, brought it back home in Istanbul and it moved to Manchester with me and been with me almost for all of my guitar journey. I mean it's just a piece of wood, metal and plastics but you know what I mean. So I've done the next best thing. I talked to all major retailers here in the UK and they said it'll take 6-9 moths to bring a LPC 68RI (which is my first choice) and at least 2-3 months for a 2019 LPC. So I found a really clean 2011 LPC Black Beaut and it arrived yesterday. I think it is the last year Gibson used ebony on fretboards before switching to Richlite. It's actually cleaner than my Traditional, virtually no damage, dings etc., nothing. And it costed £2800 which is about £1000 less than a new one. So I think I'll keep the Traditional and the Custom both. Can't be happier. The build quality and sustain is at a different level on the LPC. Here are spme pictures as well.

Attachments

Last edited: