NGD: 2019 Les Paul Custom (Black w/ Ebony FB)

SoManyGuitars

Reaction score
Hey there,
It’s been a while since I posted a new Gibson NGD, but here it goes...
(I’ll post pics in the next post...)

My guy from Sweetwater, (yes, I have a “guy”. :)) called me last week to let me know he received a single new 2019 LP Custom. They had last year’s model in stock earlier, but it had a richlite fingerboard. Not that there’s anything actually wrong with richlite, but knowing that Gibson promised ‘real ebony’ again in 2019, I decided to wait.

Well, he called, sent me pics (funny, all Black LP Customs look exactly the same, it’s not like buying a burst, where every top is completely different...)
Ordered on Friday, showed up on Saturday (after the FedEx guy left the box balanced on it’s short edge in the middle of my driveway... nice job Fedex :-(

I rescued it before it fell on it’s face, and took her inside to unbox.

My first impression was - “there’s no way this weighs 10 lbs....”.... But, it does. (9Lbs 15 oz... actually)
Doesn’t feel any heavier than my 2012 Trad that weighs 8lbs 11oz.

But wow.... what a neck... holy crap... thinner and SO MUCH faster than my Traditional. Much better binding work, better cut nut, and that EBONY feels so fast.
The tone acoustically is loud and very bright/clear... moreso than my Trad, which I still love. The Trad is warmer, and the Custom more ‘Hi Fi’ if that makes sense. (Also - it had new strings, still fresh - it was QC’s just a week before I bought it)

Plugged in, it sounds crisp and full... but my wife says I play better on it. The smaller neck DOES make me play differently... I still wouldn’t say it makes me play “good” though... :-(

QC wise, the guitar was perfect except for some minor nicks/gouging in the multiply binding. I’m keeping it.

Here’s a shot I have handy, more to come.
75C25F42-56F7-4412-A2DE-E981C1BFA89B.jpeg

Attachments

Guitpicky

Reaction score
Customs are great guitars, I didn't really appreciate how great until I got one.

Congrats, she's a beauty :)

Rds

Reaction score
What a nice guitar. Very cool choice. I bet your glad you waited now. Both those are beauties.

SoManyGuitars

Reaction score
If only the white could stay white. Such a great look for a Les Paul. Better looking than any ‘burst of any age (IMO).
I also love the look of the older ‘yellowed’ binding... the older 70/80s Customs look great with the yellowing.... Hell, Gibson charges $3000 more for them look now! :)

SoManyGuitars

Reaction score
Debating the Gold Speed Knobs I had from my Traditional.... (which is a 2011, I wrote 2012 above, which was a typo....)

And eventually, I may put some double creme pickups in, to recreate that “Al DiMeola” looking LP... I had an Ibanez clone of that guitar in high school. I always loved the look, but couldn’t afford a Gibson back then. (Note - They were $800 in 1981. :)

Here’s a pic I found online of an LP (copy) with ‘Cremes and Gold Knobs’ look I may (or may not) go after)
13C240D9-ABC5-4569-95F5-768825AE6C88.jpeg
2D512ADA-20CF-481C-9FD3-E246FF3D65A5.jpeg

Guitpicky

Reaction score
If only the white could stay white. Such a great look for a Les Paul. Better looking than any ‘burst of any age (IMO).
Hehe... does anything white ever stay white?

Mine is wine red with antiquing in the clear coat so it'll never be white but I honestly think it looks better that way. It gives it that vintage look and feel... like an old violin :)

Reactions: Who

SoManyGuitars

Reaction score
Here’s the Al Dimeola guitar that inspired my “Ibanez Copy” in 1980...
Which I always wanted to recreate with a real Gibson...
But now that I have it in stock form, I really like the simple look of the black and gold only...

Although I do wish Gibson used 4 conductor wiring, so I could add push/pulls and coil splitting.

KS 5150

Reaction score
That's beautiful! Like my old '89, brand new :) Congratulations!

Benniator

Reaction score
Here’s the Al Dimeola guitar that inspired my “Ibanez Copy” in 1980...
Which I always wanted to recreate with a real Gibson...
But now that I have it in stock form, I really like the simple look of the black and gold only...

Although I do wish Gibson used 4 conductor wiring, so I could add push/pulls and coil splitting.
View attachment 382888
If you upgrade your guitar like that, I expect you to complete the look by dressing like him.

SoManyGuitars

Reaction score
Fair enough... I don’t look good in a vest, nor can I grow a proper goatee! :)
The longer I have the stock look, the more I like it... just need to dig into the wiring and see if I can go to push/pull coil splitting with the existing pickups.

vetteman

Reaction score
She's a 'beaut, Clark. If it was me I would put black/gold reflector knobs on and call it a day! It's good to see Gibson going back to a wooden fretboard.

Sparky84

Reaction score
Absolutely gorgeous. The guitar, I mean, not Al Di Meola. He looks like a 70s IT guy.

IMO, you should keep the gold covered pups - maintains that classy Custom look.

And I'm jealous that you have "a guy" at Sweetwaters who calls you when something cool comes in. If you don't mind posting it, what sort of price are those 2019s new - close to $4000, or even higher?

frozenotter

Comradery, not Companionship Please
Platinum Supporter
Gold Supporter
Reaction score
Kick buttocks! Love it! :thumb: