NGD : 2019 Gibson SG Standard w/ Sideways Vibrola

KS 5150

Reaction score
I just recently picked up a NOS '19 SG Standard out of London. I've been lusting for this specific model since I saw Jake Kiszka of GVF rocking an original '61 over the past couple of years, and was so happy when this came out at last year's NAMM. I had a previous 2004 SG w/ Bigsby, but sold that one to make room for this new guy.
Once I received the guitar, I made a few modifications to it, including changing the stock shiny pickup covers, for some aged raw nickel covers. I also blocked the vibrola so that tuning is no longer an issue. I just loved the look of the Sideways trem.
After doing a proper setup, this thing is a beast. I wasn't sure what to expect with the '61 Tribute pickups, but I absolutely love them in this guitar. Not too bright, tons of clarity, and the ability to dial in just the right amount of bright with the new-style CTS pots. I love this thing!
It's probably time for some photos...The 1st one is right after it arrived, before I made any changes, just to show off the mahogany grain on the top. The other photos are after I completed my work...here goes:

Last edited:

Tobaccoburst83

Reaction score
Uuuuuuuh, I love that guitar so much. Always wanted a '61- style SG w/Vibrola- or Sideways Tremolo!

alstev

Reaction score
That's nice, SG's look awesome with lots of metal.

74JMP

Reaction score
had a chance at 2 back in 2014 when they had a small run. in the shop the trem stayed in tune better then expected. I sure some lube and avoid EVH stuff it might be worth trying. Got CS with a maestro and it really hold up well

MiniB

Reaction score
Definitely the prettiest of SG configurations. I would think that extra metal of the vibrola helps balance it out some more on a strap.

sonar1

Reaction score
Had a few SG’s.
Always liked the RI ‘61 style. Mine had ‘57 Classic pickups and was the first guitar I had where I thought those pickups worked well.
Love the distorted vocal “ow-ow” sounds.
Others I had were good sounding but occasionally neck heavy, and it bugged me the batwing pickguard was a pain to get the pickups to slant right, under the strings.
If I were to get another, I’d want one like the OP’s.
Easy to block the sideways vibrato?

MiniB

Reaction score
I wish they'd make the '61 style with the heel joint and bigger neck shape of the batwing standards.

KS 5150

Reaction score
Definitely the prettiest of SG configurations. I would think that extra metal of the vibrola helps balance it out some more on a strap.
It's pretty balanced. Once in a while it has a slight neck-dive, but I just adjust my posture a bit, and its fine again. That said, I play sitting down, so that may vary for ppl using a strap.

KS 5150

Reaction score
I wish they'd make the '61 style with the heel joint and bigger neck shape of the batwing standards.
Mine has the shelf in the heel-joint. I don't know if that's what you're referring to. The neck is very comfortable, but certainly a bit on the slim side.

MiniB

Reaction score
Mine has the shelf in the heel-joint. I don't know if that's what you're referring to. The neck is very comfortable, but certainly a bit on the slim side.
I mean this longer batwing standard neck joint.....

As opposed to the older '61-style.....

Just a bit more stable. But yeah, I also like the bigger neck.

KS 5150

Reaction score
I mean this longer batwing standard neck joint.....

As opposed to the older '61-style.....

Just a bit more stable. But yeah, I also like the bigger neck.
Ah, I see what you mean. Thanks for the info!

Death Incarnate

V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
Those sideways vibrola tail pieces are so funky! Anything that adds more shiny bling to a tail piece is awesome - and it's useful to boot. I love it.
Congrats! :applause:

KS 5150

Reaction score
But you still haven’t told us how you locked your tremolo.
All I did was remove the strings, took the tailpiece off, and removed the springs. That made the tailpiece return to its original position, which also moved the vibrola out of the way of the jack, as it was getting in the way before. I added some nut sauce, and the tuning is fantastic now. I have the tailpiece out of the way, so it doesn't rattle or move at all. Very simple to do. :thumb: I did try out the vibrola when I 1st got the guitar, and the tuning wasn't great after even the tiniest shimmer. All fixed now, and it still looks cool AF.

KS 5150

Reaction score
Congrats man! Love mine too, killer guitar!
Yours looks awesome, congrats! I've heard they aren't big sellers, so I wanted to make sure I got one now, in case they discontinue the model.

Latest Threads