NGD: 2019 Gibson Firebird Tobacco Sunburst

flamesarewicked

Reaction score
I’ve wanted one of these for some time but for one reason or another the chance never arose... it arrived today. Fit and finish is great. Fretboard was dry as hell but that’s an easy thing to remedy.. only real complaint is the tuners are a bit cramped. If steinberger tuners will work on it.. I’ll change them out.. I can live with them but if the others will fit without modification, it’ll definitely be on my to do list

Now for a few shots

378C3B49-CB3D-4E13-9424-658B7EF9543D.jpeg
D6AAAA23-2F4E-4D21-A615-555108418AAF.jpeg
9DFB0A01-AFFE-47B1-8210-DB39CBC812F9.jpeg
B15D184E-7E1C-43DD-96C6-A23CB63574A5.jpeg
CBCC3D17-63C6-472C-9F3C-76387423716C.jpeg

Last edited:

tolm

Bigsby Junkie
Reaction score
Nice! They drill the hole positions for the standard tuners closer to the edge than where the Steinberger tuners would go so not sure if they could be made to work. I wondered the same on my old non-reverse Firebird but never tried.

Maybe smaller buttons on the existing tuners could be an option?

flamesarewicked

Reaction score
Nice! They drill the hole positions for the standard tuners closer to the edge than where the Steinberger tuners would go so not sure if they could be made to work. I wondered the same on my old non-reverse Firebird but never tried.

Maybe smaller buttons on the existing tuners could be an option?
I’m not sure how much smaller they could be.. they’re the mini grovers I think

tolm

Bigsby Junkie
Reaction score
Ah - couldn’t see from the pics so wondered if they had big ol’ keystones like LP, SG, etc now. :)

judson

Reaction score
i think the steinbergers will work but like i mentioned in the other thread , remove one and measure the hole

they are great tuners, never liked the look but they perform...you gotta take function over form some days

have fun with that FB...looks great!

MSB

Reaction score
are mini grover holes the same distance apart as banjo tuners?

flamesarewicked

Reaction score
I’m willing to bet they will work but I’d anticipate the knobs on the back of the headstock will be a little too close together.. may just have to live with it.. no biggie.. the other tuners are so much cooler though

MSB

Reaction score
I’m willing to bet they will work but I’d anticipate the knobs on the back of the headstock will be a little too close together.. may just have to live with it.. no biggie.. the other tuners are so much cooler though
i asked about the minis, because I put a set on a Breedlove acoustic (3x3 but funky headstock shape) and they sucked for the D and G strings because they were so close together. I took them off immediately and put the full sized grovers back on. The only other guitar I've had them on was a LP and I had zero complaints/issues. But they really were awful on that acoustic.

obviously they work on firebirds (though i've never played one with them so I can't say how I felt about them on that guitar), but i've never heard someone complain about them in that manner, but I also can't recall someone replacing mini grovers with them.

here's that guitar and you can see the distance, so you could measure yours and compare. I tried this 5ish years ago, so my memory isn't the best, but if they're this close (actually more than this) or closer I'd never try it again.

edit... on second thought, they still might be fine on an inline headstock, but not a 3x3 at that spacing since your hand motion would be the same across all the tuners (if that makes sense)

Attachments

Last edited:

flamesarewicked

Reaction score
Next restring I’ll take the tuners off and take some measurements.. probably should have when I replaced them but I didn’t think about it till AFTER lmao damn it all

wmachine

Reaction score
Nice! That to me is the traditional color, that's why I bought one that color. Plus you can enjoy seeing the maple/walnut ply neck. But I believe that is Vintage Sunburst, not Tobacco Sunburst.
Unless a previous owner smoked one hell of a lot......

flamesarewicked

Reaction score
Nice! That to me is the traditional color, that's why I bought one that color. Plus you can enjoy seeing the maple/walnut ply neck. But I believe that is Vintage Sunburst, not Tobacco Sunburst.
Unless a previous owner smoked one hell of a lot......
I call it sunburst but they’re list it as tobacco burst. There’s really no red in it I guess

Last edited:

mdubya

Reaction score
I have one on my short list.

Congrats and rock out! You will love it! :applause::dude::dude::dude:

I have mini Grovers on two non-reverse 'Birds. I love them and they work great.

judson

Reaction score
you could send Stew Mac an email and ask.....i assume its a recent production year

they might know, never hurts to ask the company/person your buying from beforehand

i have a set of mini grovers on a strat and they work well...so see how it goes

Latest Threads