NGD: 2019 Flying V!

CB91710

Premium Member
Reaction score
I'm finally the owner of a Flying-V.
Been lusting afer a number of Gibson guitars for 40 years, could never afford them, or for some other reason, just didn't buy them.
So this year, in addition to the Original series 60s Les Paul, I've just added a Flying V.

This one began its current life as a husk from Stratosphere, and honestly, with the cost of the case, I'm probably $300-$500 over what one would have cost OTC, however, as you can see, I would have spent that much or more making changes to get what I wanted with the gold hardware and black PG... Grovers and bridge being the biggest chunk of that.
The pickups are Duncan JB and Jazz, the bridge/tailpiece are TonePros locking. CTS 500k pots, .047 "black candy" tone cap.
The serial number and "Made in US" stamps are hard to see... not very deep, but they show nicely under black light.

Plays like a dream. The nut is cut a little better than my '19 Lester, I was actually a bit worried that the E and B were too low, but they don't buzz. The truss rod dialed into about .010 relief with 1/8 turn. Currently strung up with DR "Pure Blues" 10-46.

V-Overall-1.jpg

V-Body.jpg

V-HS-2.jpg

And the obligatory factory style "baby picture"... I was going to put it on a pad with my notebook next to it, but it looked silly.

V-Overall-2.jpg

20191012_204525.jpg

20191012_204650.jpg

20191012_204644.jpg

CB91710

Premium Member
Reaction score
Thanks!
I'm absolutely in love with this one.

Until I find an Explorer :D

Ripgut

Reaction score
Amazing! Awesome job man! Great details and info too! Like all of it! Totally customized!

PlainT0P83

Reaction score
I totally dig this setup. Looks cool with the blackguard!

I was thinking about doing the same thing; currently looking at the husks on Stratosphere!

CB91710

Premium Member
Reaction score
I totally dig this setup. Looks cool with the blackguard!

I was thinking about doing the same thing; currently looking at the husks on Stratosphere!
It's a way to get an authentic body/neck, and they include the truss rod cover. I've been looking for a gold one and they seem to be made from "unobtanium"
But be warned, it's not a cheap way to go. I probably have $200 more into it than just buying one from Sam Ash if I count the HSC.
Stratosphere does have the pickguard and pickup set for around $250. I have that into just the Duncans and guard.
I found the guard on Reverb, and though the screw holes lined up perfectly, I suspect it was a one-off, as I have not been able to find them elsewhere. If you want black, you may end up having to have one made... or perhaps a production '67 would work with the "tongue" between the pickups trimmed down?

PlainT0P83

Reaction score
It's a way to get an authentic body/neck, and they include the truss rod cover. I've been looking for a gold one and they seem to be made from "unobtanium"
But be warned, it's not a cheap way to go. I probably have $200 more into it than just buying one from Sam Ash if I count the HSC.
Stratosphere does have the pickguard and pickup set for around $250. I have that into just the Duncans and guard.
I found the guard on Reverb, and though the screw holes lined up perfectly, I suspect it was a one-off, as I have not been able to find them elsewhere. If you want black, you may end up having to have one made... or perhaps a production '67 would work with the "tongue" between the pickups trimmed down?
At this point it's for the love of it. You're getting a custom guitar that you did the work on, that's how I see it.

I have a 2019 Explorer that I am about to mod the crap out of, but I was looking for a husk to that to instead. Already losing value on it, because I bought it new and resale sucks. Then I am going to mod it and I spent money on parts. It's a lose-lose-lose!!! BUT, I think it will look rad. Someone hipped me to this company Creamtone. I bet they'd be able to get you customized parts (black guards and such) for USA Gibsons. They do a black Explorer pickguard, that would be kinda nice.

EasyAce

Reaction score
Welcome to the Flying V family! Good job you did on yours, too!