NGD - 2019 60th Anniversary 1959 Les Paul Standard

jaydublin

Reaction score
Hey folks. Been lurking around here for years and finally have something worth posting about. I bought a 1998 R8 a few years back, but it was a gift for my son, and I've been searching and biding my time about a getting myself an R9 ever since. So I finally pulled the trigger this past Monday, and on Wednesday evening it arrived. I've been getting to know it (just scratching the surface) since. Only detail about it I'm not certain about is the exact finish color - shop that sold it to me didn't know and I've emailed Gibson customer service to see if they can give me the info based on the serial number (9 92026, BTW). I believe, however, that it is a Cherry Teaburst.

The instrument is absolutely amazing. I'm directly comparing it to my 2007 Standard Faded bought back in 2017 on Reverb. That one has '57 Classics installed by the previous owner. I also replaced bridge and tailpiece with the Faber locking kit, and had the harness replaced with 50s wiring along with a Switchcraft pickup switch. Everything about the R9 is truly better. Dynamic sensitivity/woody/throaty/airiness of the sound/pickups, fit-finish, everything. Even bending is easier for whatever reason. And the neck feels just perfect and better (2007 has a very thin 60s profile). The pots - entirely new world of control that will take me a lot of fun time to get to know. The neck pickup is so damn good - I almost like it better than the bridge. I could go on...

I attempt to play (I'd say I'm an intermediate guitarist - and that might be generous) mostly classic rock stuff. Back in 2014 I bought myself (yes - my wife is amazingly generous and patient!) a 2002 Martin D-28, and having that guitar has fueled my playing progress over the past 6 years. I just love taking it out of its case and continue to feel privileged to own it. I'm thinking that this new stellar instrument (it feels like a modern Stradivarius to me) is going to inspire me similarly.
50FA0648-D2FA-4237-AF78-9C76669EC27A.jpeg
F9722858-5BC3-48BC-9B06-AB16C80A0096.jpeg
04CF0B03-3862-4969-B8DA-281C924A52C1.jpeg
B3136382-E5E0-4C79-838E-F11B0707435F.jpeg
IMG_2127.jpeg
IMG_2140.jpeg
IMG_2150.jpeg
IMG_2151.jpeg
IMG_2152.jpeg

Cheers to all of you! - and thanks for all of the posts like this one that I've gotten a kick out of over the years, not to mention the educational resource I've benefitted from as well.

50 Watts

Reaction score
Beauty. I've heard this finish referred to as "Antiquity Burst", "Cherry Teaburst," and "Faded Cherry Burst". I think Antiquity Burst is correct. Cherry Burst and Tea Burst are distinct. I wouldn't be surprised if it is Faded Cherry but seems to have a touch more orange/brown to it. The beautiful thing about these is that they are all just a little different. Regardless its really nice.

Last edited:

Dalendl

Reaction score
Very nice. I bought a 60th R9 when they first came out and really enjoy it. Play the heck out of it!

RocketKing

Reaction score
Nice cherry Sunburst, congratulations! You must be very satisfied :)

Lull

Reaction score
Wow, splendid R9 -- Congratulations! Nice of you to post pictures of the unpacking process like that; all that's missing on our side is that Gibson smell!

Cheers!

jaydublin

Reaction score
Thanks you all for your kind comments. I'm having a great week, for sure!

Wiking

Reaction score
Great one, buddy. Enjoy the heck out of it.

jaydublin

Reaction score
Thanks again for your notes. And I just heard back from Gibson Customer Service - their records show it as Sunrise Teaburst. Interesting to know just for the sake of curiosity. I would agree with the term 50 watts suggested - Antiquity Burst to describe its in person appearance. It's got very little "cherry" to it. The overall tone is a rich tempered brown. Whatever it's called - it's really beautiful.

50 Watts

Reaction score
HaHa, none of us were right! (or at least , I wasn't). I have to give Gibson credit. They have a lot of names for various shades of faded bursts.

strat1701

El Diablo Cazador De Hombres
Reaction score
those electronics in the 60th run from 2019 were really good, a step up from previous years custombuckers.

Enjoy it, nice guitar.

EXPLRGAB

Reaction score
i purchased a 2019 WILDWOOD SPEC R8..IN JULY...HAD NO IDEA THERE WERE THAT GOOD..I THINK YOU HIT THE NAIL ON THE HEAD.....D 28 AND A 2019 CUSTOM SHOP R9..DOESN'T GET MUCH BETTER THAN THAT. NO SUBSTITUTE FOR EXCELLENCE.

Tommy71

Reaction score
Beautiful top there!! Congrats!
Btw.. I also bought my first R9 recently and i feel exactly same tha you say,
"Even bending is easier for whatever reason".

jaydublin

Reaction score
Day 5 now and I continue to discover new aspects of the instrument. Another nuance is that it is so subtle in its touch response. I’m far from a real player, and I struggle with unwanted string noise. The R9 actually makes me sound better. My old standard by comparison seemed to amplify all string noise equally so that even micro touches sounded terrible. The R9 distinguishes between levels of attack so well that my little mistakes are much less harsh. Who knew? Actually you are all probably saying no sh*t - but it’s a revelation to me.

Don’t get me started on the neck pickup - it’s fantastic. It’s got a little Yo Yo Ma Cello resonance. I almost never use the neck pickup and now I’m trying it constantly.

I play mostly at home in a small studio through a 57 Custom Champ with or without a few of the standard pedals. The combo of this guitar and that amp is ungodly. Needless to say I am a very fortunate hack!

jaydublin

Reaction score
Beautiful top there!! Congrats!
Btw.. I also bought my first R9 recently and i feel exactly same tha you say,
"Even bending is easier for whatever reason".
Hi Tommy71 - I saw your thread, too. Congrats - your 2009 is off the charts gorgeous. I hope you are having as much fun with it as I am as I amwith mine.

Tommy71

Reaction score
Hi Tommy71 - I saw your thread, too. Congrats - your 2009 is off the charts gorgeous. I hope you are having as much fun with it as I am as I amwith mine.
Thanks! New guitar always inspired practice more, until you start looking next one:fingersx:

Latest Threads