NGD! 2019 58 Les Paul Standards Reissue

HRC-E.B.

Reaction score
Got this beauty today after having debated a Murphy Painted WW Spec (per other thread in this forum).

This one I could get in a F2F deal (albeit a 5-hour drive away each way), but it was worth it I think. Other than the binding bleed that's so severe there is barely a millimeter of non-pink-staimed binding anywhere on the neck and a few minor scuffs, this looks like a new guitar.

As for pleasant surprises, I don't know if the guitar came from the factory this well setup, but the nut is cut super low, and the action is fantastic. I wouldn't change anything.

I also expected and old clunky guitar like this to be hard to play, and for this to be something one accepts in exchange for the feel and mojo.

Quite the opposite! It literally plays itself. This is the now the easiest guitar to play in my arsenal, dethroning my S2 594. So easy to fret notes. Bends require no force. It's ridiculous. So light under the fingers. I did not expect that.

Guitar also seems to hold tuning. Another surprise. And it's not heavy at all; seller said 8.55 lbs and I've no reason to doubt it.

Lastly, I've discovered the perfect neck shape for me. That 58 chunky C is just wonderful. Palm filling without being clumsy. So much more relaxing to play, supportive on bends, again, I'm surprised just how easy this thing is to play.

I also quite like the narrow and tall frets. I hope they last a long time, as they play great bending, sliding and fretting. While I understand that this is personal, I can't imagine preferring the wider and lower 59 frets to these.

There is obviously a bit of honeymoon going on, but trying to be objective, my high expectations have been surpassed. The guitar is has some notable aesthetic flaws, but easily exceeds my expectations for playability and fits me so well that I'm going to have to try hard to put it down to play anything else!

Attachments

Duane_the_tub

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
It literally plays itself. This is the now the easiest guitar to play in my arsenal, dethroning my S2 594. So easy to fret notes. Bends require no force. It's ridiculous. So light under the fingers. I did not expect that.
Just wait until you top-wrap it! :naughty:

Gorgeous Historic, man. That top is just awesome. Glad you found such a beauty, and that it plays so well. Sounds like you hit the jackpot. Murphy who?

Happy new guitar day!

soyboi

Reaction score
Beautiful R8 man. My brand new R9 is still completely red down both sides of the neck. Yours looks much less bloody than mine

raytsh

Reaction score
Lastly, I've discovered the perfect neck shape for me. That 58 chunky C is just wonderful. Palm filling without being clumsy. So much more relaxing to play, supportive on bends, again, I'm surprised just how easy this thing is to play.

I also quite like the narrow and tall frets. I hope they last a long time, as they play great bending, sliding and fretting. While I understand that this is personal, I can't imagine preferring the wider and lower 59 frets to these.
I also prefer these two features, the thick neck and narrow frets, of these R8 over R9 for instance.

Congrats and HNGD!

dCi_king

Reaction score
Beautiful R8 man. My brand new R9 is still completely red down both sides of the neck. Yours looks much less bloody than mine

Same here with my R8. Remember: Bleeding is not an issue, is a feature.

Last edited:

DanD

Reaction score
Nice top, dark board, and comfortable to boot!

You scored!

Reaction score
I'll join some of the others here and say that the binding bleed on this (epic) guitar is nothing compared to the completely pink neck binding on my own R8 :rofl:

HRC-E.B.

Reaction score
The photo doesn't do justice. The whole binding is at least pink, red in a lot of places.

Doesn't matter. Guitar plays great.

My only regret is that I didnt get to pick this one out of a lot after trying them, which was something I thought I'd do for something this special. So I have no point of comparison.

Since it gives plenty of signs of being "a good one", I'll just play the heck out of it until the frets fall off.

Now that I can see how great these guitars are, I'm afraid I may have to start a collection!

Last edited:

spartacus slim

Reaction score
Presence of binding bleed is not something I would personally consider a flaw. Beautiful guitar, hope you continue to enjoy it.

NightShift88

Reaction score
My 2018 R8 has way more binding bleed than that, but it’s all good with me! Beautiful guitar, congrats and enjoy!

HRC-E.B.

Reaction score
I don't have particularly sweaty hands, and while I generally prefer oiled or raw finished necks or satin sealed necks, I have a couple glossy neck guitars (two S2 PRSs) that I can play without them feeling too sticky.

My playing the new LP typically leaves the neck feeling gummy or dirty (as opposed to smooth) and definitely not glassy.

Is that a common feature of these nitro finishes or does that vary from guitar to guitar from the CS?

Any tips on keeping the surface smooth and as slick as possible? I'd rather not sand it down even if I see than some have.

DanD

Reaction score
Keep a polish cloth on the amp/ nearby.

I wipe my new necks down between songs until they harden some.

I also leave them out of case when not playing them. The nitro will harden quicker with more exposure.

Usually takes mine ~6 months to harden up and the 'stickies' to go away.

Good luck!

HRC-E.B.

Reaction score
Keep a polish cloth on the amp/ nearby.

I wipe my new necks down between songs until they harden some.

I also leave them out of case when not playing them. The nitro will harden quicker with more exposure.

Usually takes mine ~6 months to harden up and the 'stickies' to go away.

Good luck!
Very helpful, thanks!

So even if it's a 2019, if it spent most of its time in a case, it might still need to harden like a fresh one, is that possible.

DanD

Reaction score
Most definitely.

I've seen pics of an old Gibson jazz box that was left in its case for years. The plating on the hardware had lifted/peeled and the whole surface was gummy.

Personally I feel leaving a new guitar in its case for extended periods should be avoided. It just adds to the sticky feel from my experience.

Mine are stored in a case like this:

images.jpeg

I've had case queens that were far stickier than new guitars. The nitro off gasses and hardens as it ages.

When left in a case for extended periods the off gasses attack the finish as they have no escape in the case.

Once the finish hardens some I don't seem to have the same problems with stickiness on a guitar left in a case.

My guess is they off gas most from new then the process slows over time.

HRC-E.B.

Reaction score
Most definitely.

I've seen pics of an old Gibson jazz box that was left in its case for years. The plating on the hardware had lifted/peeled and the whole surface was gummy.

Personally I feel leaving a new guitar in its case for extended periods should be avoided. It just adds to the sticky feel from my experience.

Mine are stored in a case like this:

View attachment 554497

I've had case queens that were far stickier than new guitars. The nitro off gasses and hardens as it ages.

When left in a case for extended periods the off gasses attack the finish as they have no escape in the case.

Once the finish hardens some I don't seem to have the same problems with stickiness on a guitar left in a case.

My guess is they off gas most from new then the process slows over time.
For the unfortunate case queens that get stickier, is there light at the end of the tunnel? Can it get there like a new one would or does it require any specific measures beyond the passage of time out of the case?

DanD

Reaction score
If it were mine I'd give it a good cleaning and polish then leave it out of the case as much as possible.

There's nothing irreversible going on here. If I remember correctly that jazz box spent decades in the case. It was pretty much shot. The pups, pots, hardware, tuners and finish were non-salvageable.

Yours just needs a little time away from the case and it'll be fine. :cheers2:

Latest Threads