NGD: 2018 SG Standard

Saiko

Reaction score
So I ordered this brand new 2018 SG standard from Sweetwater (Top notch customer service as always) and it came in yesterday. My first new Gibson purchase since 2006 and my first SG ever. Needless to say, I am a very happy camper!

I think I did well; she sounds as good as she looks and plays effortlessly! If anyone is on the fence about one of these models, I highly recommend them! Absolutely flawless, which I had the slightest concern about given Gibson's turmoil the past few years.

The Autumn shade finish is amazing and pictures do not do it justice. It is hard to capture the burst in photos. In fact, this finish is why I didn't go for a 2017 model or wait for a 2019 and I am glad I made that decision because I love this finish.

The 61 pickups are also incredible! I can see why some may prefer '57 Classics but I have those in my LP Traditional so these make a great compliment! I love that they have more bite than '57 Classics but more warmth than Burstbuckers. If I am being pickups, the neck pickup isn't quite as nice as the '57 but it is still really good.

So now, here are the pics! I also threw in a picture with a couple of her brothers. Now back to playing!!!

Last edited:

Saiko

Reaction score
Just needs a p*ker chip! (that's a cuss word around here?)
It came with one but I just haven't decided if I wanted it on there. I put the ABR style bridge on it for a more vintage look (the only change I'll probably make) but for some reason just can't decide on the chip so I've left it off.

PermissionToLand

Reaction score
It came with one but I just haven't decided if I wanted it on there. I put the ABR style bridge on it for a more vintage look (the only change I'll probably make) but for some reason just can't decide on the chip so I've left it off.
My brain is so trained for it, I just can't get used to it without. That said, the grain is f*cking magnificent on that and I couldn't blame you for not wanting to cover up an inch of it! The sunburst is great, too. I'm not crazy about all the changes Gibson has been doing, but more color options I am enthusiastically in favor of!