NGD: 2018 R9 in "Red Pine Burst"

Danelectro

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
I almost bought that one Danelectro!
When it up for sale, I knew wanted it, however I’ve been making an effort to thin out my collection, not grow it. I kept my eyes on it and conversed with David about it over a period of two weeks. I’m really surprised somebody else didn’t buy it. In the meantime, I sold a couple of guitars, so that opened the door to grab it.

flamesarewicked

Reaction score
beautiful color....Im a bit partial since I own one also.. mine has a much tighter flame. 10 made and 2 of them are on this board..how about those odds.

robral

Reaction score
I know I am two years late to the party, but I just took delivery two weeks ago on a gorgeous R9. The color is also Red Pine Burst, and what attracted me to the guitar was, of course, the burst. I have never seen one like it, How would I go about determining whether my R9 was part of this custom color run? This R9 is also a 2018.
GLPR9VOS.jpg

Side Burns

#==€@)
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
I know I am two years late to the party, but I just took delivery two weeks ago on a gorgeous R9. The color is also Red Pine Burst, and what attracted me to the guitar was, of course, the burst. I have never seen one like it, How would I go about determining whether my R9 was part of this custom color run? This R9 is also a 2018.
View attachment 469708
Send Gibson an email

robral

Reaction score
Thanks, man. I fell in love with it immediately. I loved the color. A lot of people says it looks like a cherry burst, but if you saw it in person you'd see the difference.

MiniB

Reaction score
A GOOD cherry burst that fades off to the outside, though. I usually don't like cherry bursts on Les Pauls, but I'd have no qualms about buying that one.

flamesarewicked

Reaction score
What I was told when buying the one I had from Kansas City Vintage was that it was a short run done right before the bankrupt thing was going on.. even said red pine burst on the original box..

Last edited:

robral

Reaction score
Thanks everyone for your replies. Looks like I got a great deal on a rare burst run. i am psyched.

robral

Reaction score
beautiful color....Im a bit partial since I own one also.. mine has a much tighter flame. 10 made and 2 of them are on this board..how about those odds.
I am a wide ribbon flame guy myself. I am so glad that you mentioned the Red Pine Burst story or I would never have known. I'd love to add another R9 too. Maybe a 60th anniversary.

robral

Reaction score
Gravedanger decided to part ways with the Red Pine Burst (I believe to help fund a new acquisition), and thus it has found a new home on my wall.

I have to say, this is one really nice Lester. The neck profile is perfect. It’s not just that Gibson finally got the thickness right, but the c-shaped back surface and the way the profile tapers away from the edge of the fretboard makes it the most comfortable neck I’ve ever wrapped my paws around.

I believe this is one Historic that will retain its stock pickups. I haven’t yet measured the coil resistance of these Custombuckers, but I’m guessing they must be low-resistance winds because the output is a little less than my usual favorites, Wizz and Throbaks. The CBs sound a slightly cleaner at any given volume setting as compared to the Wizz and Throbak pickups. They’re different, but in a good way.

After all the goofy crap Gibson began doing in 2015, they had me thinking that the 2014 model might end up the pinnacle year of the Reissue, however, this guitar has convinced me otherwise. If the other 2018s are on par with this guitar, then I’d say the 2018 models may be among of the best Historics ever made.

We are Red Pine Burst Eskimo Brothers! I can't believe that, if this was a true 10 guitar custom run of this burst, that two of us are on this forum!

NJDevil

Reaction score
If someone were to ask what is my favorite flame on an LP....that '59 of robral's is it! Sweet color and love the fact you can see the flame evenly thru the burst color change. Sweet!

Danelectro

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
View attachment 469708
My 2018 Red Pine Burst has the same "faded" area where the forearm would rest. The serial number is 98296X. I'm curious, Is your number within the same series?

mjross

Reaction score
It’s amazing how different these guitars can look depending on the light. Nice axe!

robral

Reaction score
My 2018 Red Pine Burst has the same "faded" area where the forearm would rest. The serial number is 98296X. I'm curious, Is your number within the same series?

Yep - same series! That is wild. My serial is 98299X

Duane_the_tub

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
I've got the one @flamesarewicked used to own, 98295X

20200725_202737.jpg

It appears that the 10 guitars in this color run were probably made sequentially, near the end of 2018. The tops are all killer, judging from what I've seen. Almost seems as though someone was saving a little stack of primo maple for something special...

Last edited:

Duane_the_tub

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
If you do a Google image search you can see pics of just about all 10 of them.

Latest Threads