NGD! 2018 R9 Braz

strat1701

El Diablo Cazador De Hombres
Reaction score
Decided to go for one of the leftovers @ Dave's and by no means 'leftovers' denoting something bad. I was choosing between two of them from the run in 2018 and opted for this one:

I've had braz boarded guitars before, (vintage 56,57 and 62 but not a 'burst') and honestly, this braz board guitar is the first real one I noticed a major 'feel' difference. maybe because it's 'new' board vs a vintage braz board, but I can attest to a 'feel' factor (to me) difference.

any tonal differences between this and my others is purely down to the electrocnics. If the board is doing something I doubt it has a tonal factor but a feel factor for sure. And for me, if I have a good time feelin it I tend to play better. And when I play better the shit sounds better. Granted that's what my ears hear as tone is purely subjective.

I've been doing a lot of A/B/C shootouts with it. It easily has earned its way to the #2 spot in the stable, and is probably going to get my last MSSC harness put in. My other #1 tonewise guitar has a MSSC, and the 19 R9 I've pitted it against due to the new electronics does rival this braz one, but the MSSC trumps it. If this braz had the new electronics it'd be 51/50% with the MSSC. The pickups on the 18/19's are really good. Gibson can't confirm or deny these are unpotted (I called them) but judging by the inspection date on the checklist, I doubt it. It also doesn't sound as 'breakup-y' as the 19 does with the un potted pickups. These pickups in it are for sure a cut above the previous year reissues, and I've had them from every year since 2012-16. Totally better pu's than my '15 TH, and previous reissues.

This one so far is hitting all the marks. Neck. Tone. Top. Feel factor. There are only the electronic differences between the pu's I can hear which make my top 3 differentiated. It's a player one for sure.

Definitely hits the vintage vibe, which is probably somewhat 'mental' knowing it's only missing PAF's and old growth wood and is probably the closest I'll get to a 'real' one. Honestly the real PAF's on my vintage 62 sounded shittier than this one, yes I said it. I was pretty underwhelmed with that set of PAF's to be honest, I must have got a dud set. These have more dynamic range and clarity than those (my opinion and my ears, YMMV).

I think all this needs is the MSSC and it'll be pretty much set.

VictorB

Formerly LZF
Super Mod
Reaction score
Wow she’s a beauty!

Congrats man!

Armenfish

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
Congrats!
i have a 2018 with braz from Dave's too, now i'm selling it here in EU

Duane_the_tub

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
Gibson can't confirm or deny these are unpotted (I called them) but judging by the inspection date on the checklist, I doubt it. It also doesn't sound as 'breakup-y' as the 19 does with the un potted pickups.
Are they microphonic? Plug it in and tap on the pickup covers with your pick. You can usually tell pretty easily whether or not they're potted.

Nice guitar, congrats!

strat1701

El Diablo Cazador De Hombres
Reaction score
Are they microphonic? Plug it in and tap on the pickup covers with your pick. You can usually tell pretty easily whether or not they're potted.

Nice guitar, congrats!
these on the braz are potted. The 2019 and 60th anniversary runs (from what I'm told and heard with my own ears) are un potted, but this is fairly close for being potted pu's.

I really like the pickups theyve been making sine 2018+

guitardon

Reaction score
Hey Steve it sure is a beauty, I thought you returned it cause it looks like it’s back on their site. Is it the same one you showed my in photos recently? Either way it is a beautiful guitar. I love the flame and color. I am still in guitar heaven after a month with mine. It got me back to recording since there isn’t anywhere to play. Enjoy and play the hell out of it.

Thundermtn

Reaction score
Congrats! Dark even board and really great color, beautiful guitar! Post a video when you get your harness swap in.

Latest Threads