NGD 2018 R8

Luboy

Reaction score
Have had this one for a few days. Not too heavy and nice profile. The main observation here is the frets, which are imo a great improvement over the standard ones. The extra height allows for easy bends without having to raise the action above low. I think a lot of the skeptics assume that narrow also means super low which is not the case. They don't feel like rails either, slides are just as easy as on the older historics. The honey lemon fade is also v nice, almost like a lighter tea burst.
Capture.PNG
Capture2.PNG

bridger

Silver Supporter
Reaction score
"To each his own regarding the "Tall/narrow" frets. I guess you either love 'em, hate 'em, or are indifferent. I had a 2018 with the "tall/narrow" frets. I loved the guitar, the neck was perfect, HATED the frets. Sold it for a 2014 R-8 w/ Medium Jumbo's , couldn't be happier. However, That's just me. I like a 50's rounded "meaty" neck with big-ass medium jumbo's....:cool:

Luboy

Reaction score
"To each his own regarding the "Tall/narrow" frets. I guess you either love 'em, hate 'em, or are indifferent. I had a 2018 with the "tall/narrow" frets. I loved the guitar, the neck was perfect, HATED the frets. Sold it for a 2014 R-8 w/ Medium Jumbo's , couldn't be happier. However, That's just me. I like a 50's rounded "meaty" neck with big-ass medium jumbo's....:cool:
that's fine, but I never associated the 'jumbos' on historics with 'big-ass'. usually they're wide and very low. the width is pointless as it only affects intonation negatively. maybe it feels better? as for the bends, I don't know how you do them, depends on your technique. a lot of classic LP players often bend by squeezing the string towards the fret-board. i just like to lift the strings with a light touch.

mudface

Non-Deadbeat/Non-Prominent
Double Platinum Supporter
Premium Member
Reaction score
Narrow is good for intonation and tall is good to keep your fingers from dragging on the board..... depending on ones grip and touch of course.

Wide wire will require re-crowning to lessen fret drag and retain intonation.

Of course none of this means anything when playing through a gained up Marshall at a 110 decibels......

:p

Sweet R8 OP..... looks like a peach....:cheers:

Last edited:

PauloQS

Reaction score
Seems like R8s are very popular here, not just R9s, which is awesome. Makes me want to try some of the newer ones out to see how I like them. The narrow tall frets sounds appealing to me. HNGD.

Luboy

Reaction score
Seems like R8s are very popular here, not just R9s, which is awesome. Makes me want to try some of the newer ones out to see how I like them. The narrow tall frets sounds appealing to me. HNGD.
well, R8s are like R9s for the most part, but much more affordable. I think that explains it :).