NGD 2018 Les Paul Classic Player Plus

Billy Buck

Reaction score
This is the guitar I picked up instead of doing an exchange for another new Studio that had what I would call finish flaws along the fretboard edges. In my other post about the studio I mentioned I saw this one hanging on the wall and the store did a straight swap for it. I left very happy with what I believe is a much better guitar, and even though it's not new it checked a lot of boxes for me. For one it has P-90s and it's pretty much a new guitar. It doesnt appear to have been played hardly at all, and I don't believe there is a mark on it. I can also still smell the nitro on this thing and in the case. The new studio didn't have that smell. From the Gibson website it appears that previous owner added the pick guard, and removed the poker chip. It's in the case though. He also added the Classic truss rod cover, which I kinda like, but it just had a plain one in Gibson factory photo on the bench. Grover tuners are stock, and a very nicely bound fretboard with the nibs. The fretwork is very nice, but the fretboard is richlite. That may be a deal breaker for some but I've owned a couple of Martins with it and I couldn't tell a difference in feel from an ebony board on them. So all good there. Its color is called ocean blue and it's a satin finish, another plus in my book as it feels nice, especially on the rounded profile neck. The guitar really sings, but it's 10 lbs easy. It is the heaviest guitar I have ever owned. I don't believe it has any weight relief, but didn't really seem too heavy once I had on one of my best straps. I could feel the heavier weight, but in a good way. If that makes any sense. Anyway I'm very happy with how this deal eventually worked in the end, and I can't believe how lucky I got on this score.

Attachments

01GT Eibach

Reaction score
I love your blue CPP. I got a '18 LP CPP (NOS) in Antique Burst last November. The guitar came with the pickguard, but not installed. I changed my plastics to cream (installed the pickguard) and changed to vintage-style knobs. I also changed the switch tip to a solid polished metal which adds a subtle, but cool look. Yes, the fretboard is Richlite, but the more I play it, I see that as an upgrade, honestly. You are correct that there is no weight relief. Mine weighs in just over 10 lbs too. I don't really notice the weight when playing it, but it sure feels heavy taking it on and off. To me, this guitar is very old school which I appreciate: no weight relief, no fancy electronics, P90s. I also polished it up a bit w/ Virtuoso polish to semi-gloss. These are cool guitars, no doubt.

Christosterone

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Dear god that is badass…absolutely killer top

classics, especially when they have these tops, are unequalled…

every choice is perfect…the knobs are bananas imho

congrats…very happy for you :h5:

also, the tear drop on @01GT Eibach ’s lester is perfect…I don’t know how gibson employs such talent in the paint department…they make fades and bursts perfecr dang near every time…
it’s mind blowing to me as I suck at fading…they just get it right

anyhow, congrats and i Love your classic pp
ps: the light back is fantastic too :drool:

-chris

Billy Buck

Reaction score
I love your blue CPP. I got a '18 LP CPP (NOS) in Antique Burst last November. The guitar came with the pickguard, but not installed. I changed my plastics to cream (installed the pickguard) and changed to vintage-style knobs. I also changed the switch tip to a solid polished metal which adds a subtle, but cool look. Yes, the fretboard is Richlite, but the more I play it, I see that as an upgrade, honestly. You are correct that there is no weight relief. Mine weighs in just over 10 lbs too. I don't really notice the weight when playing it, but it sure feels heavy taking it on and off. To me, this guitar is very old school which I appreciate: no weight relief, no fancy electronics, P90s. I also polished it up a bit w/ Virtuoso polish to semi-gloss. These are cool guitars, no doubt.

That's a beauty as well. The new plastics look really good on that vintage burst. I thought about putting the cream colored plastics on mine as well, but I like the black plastics a little more I think on the blue. The more I play mine, the more I absolutely love it, and all that P-90 goodness, what else more can be said about that. These are truly incredible guitars that completely flew under my radar.

Tommy71

Reaction score
Wow.. superb color and top. Congrats! Definitely black plastics fits with that top and color.

tigerflame

Reaction score
The 2018 Classic was sleeper hit. It's basically an Original 50s P90 model with a 60s style neck. I've been hunting a gold top in good shape for quite some time now to no avail.

Alaska Mike

Reaction score
I have the opportunity to pick up one of these in Wine Red for what I consider a decent price. No case, but I have a SKB TSA case already. Wasn't sure how they stacked up, because of the single year production and the fact they were on the very tail of the Henry J era (and all that bankruptcy can do to production). I guess I feel a little better about the whole thing if it does happen.

I was considering adding a pickguard as well, but didn't know if it would decrease the value significantly or be considered heresy. After seeing this one, I think if the deal does happen I'll probably install one.

Billy Buck

Reaction score
I have the opportunity to pick up one of these in Wine Red for what I consider a decent price. No case, but I have a SKB TSA case already. Wasn't sure how they stacked up, because of the single year production and the fact they were on the very tail of the Henry J era (and all that bankruptcy can do to production). I guess I feel a little better about the whole thing if it does happen.

I was considering adding a pickguard as well, but didn't know if it would decrease the value significantly or be considered heresy. After seeing this one, I think if the deal does happen I'll probably install one.
I know people were very unhappy with the QC coming out of Gibson the final years of Henry J, but the build quality and playability on mine is excellent. So if the others of this model are built as well as mine I don't believe you'll have any worries on that front. These are killer guitars and I still can't get over how I lucked into this one. Also I believe these did come with the pick guard uninstalled and the previous owner put it on this one. Good luck to you on picking up the wine red LP if your happy with it and the deal.

Billy Buck

Reaction score
The 2018 Classic was sleeper hit. It's basically an Original 50s P90 model with a 60s style neck. I've been hunting a gold top in good shape for quite some time now to no avail.
I thought I just wanted a Studio in smokehouse burst and had know idea I needed this one. Lol! As soon as I saw it hanging there I knew I had to have it, unless it was a complete dud. Thankfully it wasn't and it's turned out be the nicest electric guitar I have ever owned or played coming from owning Fender American standards, pros, and an AO. Good luck on your hunt for a gold top, I'm sure something will turn up for you soon.

tigerflame

Reaction score
I thought I just wanted a Studio in smokehouse burst and had know idea I needed this one. Lol! As soon as I saw it hanging there I knew I had to have it, unless it was a complete dud. Thankfully it wasn't and it's turned out be the nicest electric guitar I have ever owned or played coming from owning Fender American standards, pros, and an AO. Good luck on your hunt for a gold top, I'm sure something will turn up for you soon.
Well, I did just get an Original collection Flying V to tide me over so no worries. Enjoy the fantastic axe!

Latest Threads