NGD 2017(!!) Gibson SG

aaronl

Reaction score
I kept thinking I want an SG, maybe I don't, nah I do...
I went to look at them again at my fave online retailer and they had a New 2017 model banner.
Interesting.
Looked at the specs and they weren't super clear but I went for it.
Got here today and man I am really impressed.
Neck is not as deep front to back as I would like but the guitar is really, really well put together and it is a hard case (yes!) and it has some amazing case candy to include a really nice multi-tool.
it will need some tweaking there is some back bow which I find in almost all new guitars.
The strap is leather, I doubt I will use it, it's not a high quality job but still a very nice inclusion.
I like that the binding is WHITE and not the aged attempt that ends up looking pink.
i may get a "Les Paul" truss rod cover just because I like the old ones that have that.

Pictures, this is me opening it for the first time, I had just un-boxed it.
NOTE: Sorry for the gray circles I had just gotten back from a jog/walk and taken pictures then realized I had no shirt on and the reflection in the tuners was well unflattering...

Pop1655

Premium Member
Reaction score
Oh my!!!!
What exact model is that?
I want!!! Congrats.

acstorfer

Reaction score
Wait a second. This is 2016. Your guitar is a 2017. Do you live in the future?????

Sweet SG. Enjoy!

Have FUN

Reaction score
Very good choice, beautiful SG .

This guitar is incredible, awesome design.

rjshare

Reaction score
Tell you what - seeing as you are probably the first person on here to actually receive a 2017, is there any chance of you doing a bit of fiddling about with your pup selector switch and seeing if it is the same as the older ones or if it would be possible to fit a poker chip to it? We might be able to put that whole discussion to bed then regarding these 2017s!

Cjsinla

Premium Member
Reaction score
Wow! It came with a multi tool, strap, and a banner? It looks like Gibson is stepping up their game. I hope that guitar rocks!

GS1

Reaction score
Tell you what - seeing as you are probably the first person on here to actually receive a 2017, is there any chance of you doing a bit of fiddling about with your pup selector switch and seeing if it is the same as the older ones or if it would be possible to fit a poker chip to it? We might be able to put that whole discussion to bed then regarding these 2017s!
Yes, for the love of God, please do this for us all! You will be an MLP hero! :D

Donal

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Premium Member
Reaction score
Nice :thumb:

Congrats and HNGD :applause:

divebomb

Reaction score
Do we know yet if the bridge pup is a '57 Classic, or a '57 Classic Plus on the 2017's? I am reading conflicting information.

Tanqueray

Reaction score
I wonder how the neck size on these compares to the 2016s. I like the fat necks found on the batwing SGs, but I love the look of the smaller guard.

MusicMan

Reaction score
Yes, for the love of God, please do this for us all! You will be an MLP hero! :D
If the Specials are anything to go by, I'd say there won't be an issue adding a poker chip

Also notice the black switch tip on one

There also seems to be some differences with the knobs and TRC'S

Last edited by a moderator:

PermissionToLand

Reaction score
Wow, surprising to see so much variation. Did you check the serials to make sure those aren't older stock at Sweetwater?

MusicMan

Reaction score
Wow, surprising to see so much variation. Did you check the serials to make sure those aren't older stock at Sweetwater?
All of the

Truss rod photos are all from the 2017 Special models 2 of them are the guitars at the top of my other post showing the poker chip and switch tip.

SingeMonkey

Reaction score
Very nice looking SG. Proper '60s body carve. I love that it has grover roto-grips. I have them on one guitar and would happily have them on all my 3 per side headstocks.

Only thing I can never get my head around is why Gibson USA insists on using Nashville bridges.

PermissionToLand

Reaction score
Very nice looking SG. Proper '60s body carve. I love that it has grover roto-grips. I have them on one guitar and would happily have them on all my 3 per side headstocks.

Only thing I can never get my head around is why Gibson USA insists on using Nashville bridges.
Lucky you didn't say that on ETSG. Technically, even the Historic SG doesn't have proper '60s beveling. Kind of astounding considering how far they go with the LP for accuracy, that such an important part of the SG is not accurate. But Gibson has always ignored the SG despite it outselling the LP for many years. But I digress.

studio1087

Reaction score
Beautiful! The wood grain looks so nice, especially in that last photo.

laterider

Reaction score
This is an awesome version of the SG. I haven't seen anything like these specs for years (small guard with the later neck joint - with humbuckers).
OP - please tells us a bit more about the neck profile!
I have already fallen prey, I've got an ebony one in bound as again I haven't seen these specs mentioned above and in ebony no less. I'll do an NGD when mine shows up later next week as I took the free shipping...

aaronl

Reaction score
Guys I apologize, I never got any email saying people had responded, they were all in spam folder.

It is a great guitar, I am really happy with it.
I did have to set it up some there was too much neck relief but I really feel almost all new guitars are like that.

I have not tried to get a poker chip under there but i want one and the correct knobs to give it the 61 type look.