NGD: 2016 Memphis ES-Les Paul P90 Goldtop VOS w/Bigsby

YetiAnt

Reaction score
I just scored this gorgeous ES-Les Paul. Absolutely beautiful Goldtop VOS with a factory bigsby. She is ridiculously light, looks gorgeous, and sounds perfect. I couldn’t be happier. Anyone else owns and loves one of these ES-LPs?

IMG_3156.jpg
IMG_3159.jpg
IMG_3160.jpg

Last edited:

spartacus slim

Reaction score
That’s a beautiful guitar, YetiAnt! I only just took delivery of a very cool 2015 ES-Les Paul Premiere in faded lightburst, and I’m absolutely blown away by it.

Looks like the Gibson website no longer has info and specs on all the different variations and special runs of the ES-Les Paul model, which is a shame. I’m curious if they ever made a factory Bigsby run of the Goldtop with humbuckers.

YetiAnt

Reaction score
That’s a beautiful guitar, YetiAnt! I only just took delivery of a very cool 2015 ES-Les Paul Premiere in faded lightburst, and I’m absolutely blown away by it.

Looks like the Gibson website no longer has info and specs on all the different variations and special runs of the ES-Les Paul model, which is a shame. I’m curious if they ever made a factory Bigsby run of the Goldtop with humbuckers.
Thank you. I can’t put her down. Such a joy to play.
I haven’t seen a Goldtop with humbuckers and a bigsby. I’ve only seen the light burst and bourbon burst with hums and a bigsby. That would be a beauty if they made one though. Would almost look as good as mine with the p90s.

MSB

Reaction score
Superb!!!

does the back have the access plate? I've noticed, some do, some don't

spartacus slim

Reaction score
I haven’t seen a Goldtop with humbuckers and a bigsby. I’ve only seen the light burst and bourbon burst with hums and a bigsby. That would be a beauty if they made one though. Would almost look as good as mine with the p90s.
I love the Goldtop with P90s, but wondered about a Humbucker Goldtop with factory bigsby as I haven’t seen any examples and it seems to be the only one of the main variations not to get a factory Bigsby run.

Did your Goldtop come with its Gibson COA book? If so, I wonder if the model number written in there might indicate if your guitar is a ‘Premier’ model also. It seems Gibson didn’t put the Premier designation on the label inside the f-hole. The COA for my guitar is missing, but I was able to google search the serial number and find the original store website listing from when the guitar was sold new, which identified it as a ‘Premier’ spec version.

Seems there was a bewildering number of sometimes quite subtle variations over the short few years these guitars were in production, so I think it’s a shame Gibson hasn’t kept a complete archive of specs for each variant.

YetiAnt

Reaction score
I love the Goldtop with P90s, but wondered about a Humbucker Goldtop with factory bigsby as I haven’t seen any examples and it seems to be the only one of the main variations not to get a factory Bigsby run.

Did your Goldtop come with its Gibson COA book? If so, I wonder if the model number written in there might indicate if your guitar is a ‘Premier’ model also. It seems Gibson didn’t put the Premier designation on the label inside the f-hole. The COA for my guitar is missing, but I was able to google search the serial number and find the original store website listing from when the guitar was sold new, which identified it as a ‘Premier’ spec version.

Seems there was a bewildering number of sometimes quite subtle variations over the short few years these guitars were in production, so I think it’s a shame Gibson hasn’t kept a complete archive of specs for each variant.
It does have the COA as well as the original invoice from Wildwood guitars. I see nothing on either that indicates “Premier” specs.
B2F25A0B-876D-44EF-A25D-876C6A824135.jpeg

mdubya

Reaction score
Congrats! :wow: :applause:

I have a Goldie with humbuckers. I think the P-90 version is even better. As soon as the right one at the right price presents itself, I will own the P-90 version, too. :thumb:

The ES LP weighs 6 lbs even. The Special is 8 lbs!

YetiAnt

Reaction score

I have a Goldie with humbuckers. I think the P-90 version is even better. As soon as the right one at the right price presents itself, I will own the P-90 version, too. :thumb:

Ohhh. Pretty!!!

spartacus slim

Reaction score

That’s a beauty!

mdubya

Reaction score
That’s a beauty!
:dude: :dude: :dude:

Thank you!

The ES LP is probably not everyone's Les Paul cup of tea, but the light weight, authentic LP tones on tap, and a broader palate of tones than you can get from a solid body LP, it is a pretty cool and versatile Les Paul.

I truly cannot wait to try the P-90 version and wish I could go back to the CME sale and buy one right now.

spartacus slim

Reaction score
It does have the COA as well as the original invoice from Wildwood guitars. I see nothing on either that indicates “Premier” specs.
View attachment 520774

Premiere models seem to be indicated with an extra P in the model number after ESLP, which isn’t there on your COA.

Goldtop P90 Premiere model number:

E47B152B-E25C-45EF-A414-13485629011B.jpeg

Light Burst Premiere model number:

B30E562C-A8F0-4EFE-B09F-EF293651305B.jpeg

I’ve seen Premiere designated hardtail P90 Goldtops and also Premiere hardtail sunbursts, but so far haven’t seen the designation applied to any of the factory Bigsby ES-Les Pauls (a factory Bigsby seems to be indicated in the model number by a B second from last, instead of an H).

Spec difference for the Premiere versions seems to be pretty minimal, with the mahogany centerblock & adirondack spruce bracing thermally treated, along with “matched no logo 550k” pots. I imagine the results of the thermal treatment of the interior woods would be invisible, and I haven’t been able to check if the pots on my purportedly ‘Premiere’ model guitar are actually 550k yet, so can’t really confirm if it matches this spec...

Like I said before, there seems to be a lot of variations and small spec differences throughout the very short production time of these models, which makes things a bit confusing.

In addition to the different appointments of the various ES-Les Paul models, apparently overall changes occurred year to year in terms of: truss rod type, truss rod cover design, neck shape, headstock to neck transition thickness, nut material, rolled neck binding on later guitars, fret profile, humbucker pickup type, capacitors, bridge and tailpiece type...

Quite possibly there were some other changes here and there that I’ve missed out! Bottom line though, I think the ES-Les Paul was a great new design from Gibson, in all it’s different variations.

YetiAnt

Reaction score

You could always go with the non bigsby and put a b3 with a towner. No drilling or damage to the guitar and completely reversible. Looks great as well.
2D24C2C3-4732-4139-8E39-8B8C31A49AE7.jpeg

Hartlefool

Reaction score

Google ‘Gibson Legacy’ and you should find the specs on there

Christosterone

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
My es just sent urs a friend request :h5:
<—— see avatar

yours is Effing awesome
ES is possibly the most under-appreciated and unknown diamond les Paul model in history
wish i had a p90 es like yours

-chris

YetiAnt

Reaction score
My es just sent urs a friend request :h5:
<—— see avatar

yours is Effing awesome
ES is possibly the most under-appreciated and unknown diamond les Paul model in history
wish i had a p90 es like yours

-chris
Haha. My ES accepts your ES’ friend request!

I have had so many guitars come and go. Every one I’ve had has fallen victim to GAS and I’ve either sold or traded them, but this one will never leave my possession. I absolutely love this guitar.

Latest Threads