NGD: 2016 Gibson Custom Shop "Made to Measure" Les Paul

Reaction score
Gibson had a really cool event back in October where they took the Gibson van with a ton of woods to The Music Zoo. Customers were able to hand select their own tops, body woods, and fingerboards. I worked with my guy, Mark Di Donna, over there on this custom shop build. He's a really knowledgable guy who coached me through some of the finer technical details about Les Pauls that I wasn't as familiar with, and ultimately, we got these specs:

Top Color: Honeyburst
Back Color: Dark stain
Finish: Gloss finish
Body: Les Paul solid body (not weight relieved or chambered)
Body Construction: 1-piece mahogany back
Neck: 1-piece mahogany with long tenon
Neck Profile: 1960's SlimTaper profile (.800 at 1st fret and .850 at 12th fret)
Fingerboard: Ebony (as dark as possible with no streaking)
Fingerboard Radius: 12"
Fret Wire: Jescar 57110 (.110" wide x .057" tall)
Inlays: Mother of pearl trapezoids
Hardware: Nickel
Tuners: Locking Grovers
Binding: Multi-ply binding on body top, body back, and neck (binding over frets, i.e., nibs)
Bridge: ABR-1 bridge with stopbar tail piece
Bridge Pickup: '57 Classic humbucker with black pickup ring
Neck Pickup: '57 Classic humbucker with black pickup ring
Controls: 2 tone (gold bonnet knobs), 2 volume (gold bonnet knobs), 3-way pickup selector switch

Gibson did a phenomenal job on this thing. It plays as great as it looks, and I'm super stoked to add this to my collection. This was my first Gibson Custom Shop "Made to Measure" build, and I have to stay, they were pretty cool to deal with.

GibsonKramer

The Three G's
Premium Member
Reaction score
I will own one of those, one of these days.

endial

Reaction score
Near perfection.

Stand tall Gibson CS.

winexprt

Reaction score
That's a really beautiful LP man!

So cool to get exactly what you want made for you!

GibsonKramer

The Three G's
Premium Member
Reaction score
I believe that is one of the most beautiful guitars, I've laid eyes on. I could see myself having the exact same thing made, with the same specs. Though, mine would have a pickguard and the plastics would be cream.

I want one!

Nard

Reaction score
Very nice. Wish I could have one. In fact I'm greedy, I wish I could have two.

dspelman

Reaction score
You realize, of course, that 20 years from now someone is going to be inspecting that guitar on some forum like this one and trying to decide if it's a fake or not, because "they didn't DO that" with production guitars of this era...

Drog

Reaction score
Fantastic! A LP Custom with a 60's neck is exactly what I want. I need to look into this.

Enjoy your beautiful guitar!

Reaction score
Thank you, guys!

What is the upcharge like for a service like that?

Yea, good question. A Gibson Made to Measure is a little less than half the cost of a well appointed PRS Private Stock one-off. If you're buying guitars in those sorts of categories, then relatively speaking, Gibson Made to Measure is a hell of a deal. You're getting a guitar that is built to your exact specifications by one of, if not the most, iconic builders in history. Further, you're getting it for half the cost that other makers would build the same guitar for. Like I said, in those terms, it's a great deal, and it's very cool of Gibson to allow this sort experience for all of its customers.

You realize, of course, that 20 years from now someone is going to be inspecting that guitar on some forum like this one and trying to decide if it's a fake or not, because "they didn't DO that" with production guitars of this era...

This is absolutely hilarious, and in fact, just a few weeks ago I was thinking the same thing. Someone in the future will look at the guitar and say, "Fake! And it's a really bad fake, too! Gibson never made Customs that had the diamond headstock with trapezoid inlays. Looks like the Chinese shop that built this didn't do its research." :laugh2::laugh2::laugh2:

Even Mark at The Music Zoo said, "Man, people are going to look at this and know it's unique. I don't know of too many other Customs, if any at all, that have this headstock and fretboard combination."

And that's sort of the cool thing about Made to Measure, right, and sort of one of its big value props: Your specs may be something Gibson never does, thereby creating a really rare gem that no one else has. I mean, if you wanted an SG body with a Custom headstock, for example, Gibson will build it for you. Or if you wanted an exact recreation of an LP you saw the guitarist of your favorite band playing on stage in 197-whatever, then Gibson will help meaterialize your dream guitar into reality. I think that's pretty cool of Gibson to allow any of its "every day" customers the opportunity to an experience that historically only the big name artists have had access to.

Donal

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Premium Member
Reaction score
Gibson had a really cool event back in October where they took the Gibson van with a ton of woods to The Music Zoo. Customers were able to hand select their own tops, body woods, and fingerboards.
That does sound like a cool event :thumb:

And the results are spectacular :applause: