Ngd: 2016 es-335 1958

indravayu

Reaction score
Just took delivery of one of the new 1958 ES-335's.

Obviously, the honeymoon period has just started, but I am very impressed by this guitar. The finish is beautiful and it has a nice, chunky neck (very much like current R8s); the lack of binding is actually kind of cool (I was worried I wouldn't like it on a 335). No spikey fret ends, or anything like that (the fretwork is excellent). I guess the fretboard edges are rolled - very comfy, broken-in feel.

Acoustically and plugged in, the tone is clear and full bodied (this is my first Memphis with the MHS pickups and they sound pretty good to me - no plans to replace them any time soon).

The body and neck are also very resonant and there is plenty of note sustain. No dead spots anywhere on the neck that I can detect.

Wildwood Guitars hooked me up with this - their personal description of the guitar to me was dead on, their setup of the guitar was exactly as I requested, and they even upgraded me to free overnight shipping because they got hit by a snowstorm that delayed shipping by a day.

I always hate buying 335s over the internet, because there is such wide variance to them (and, this being a new model that few stores have in stock yet, I had no opportunity to play one in person), but I think I lucked out here.

uOesPIfl.jpg

iUqDeg1l.jpg

DuUMIl2l.jpg

...and the case even comes with a little headstock pillow (never seen that before!):

p8aROYml.jpg

mdubya

Reaction score
Very sweet. I would love to own one of these one day. :)

bossaddict

@david.beason on IG
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
Like that color. Congrats!

indravayu

Reaction score
Thanks fellas.

This is a really great 335 - I can highly recommend it to anyone who likes the Mickey Mouse eared 335 and chunky R8 necks.

I have owned a bunch of Gibson Memphis ES's over the past 7 years and the quality is just top notch right now. This is definitely the best 335 I have owned to date - even beats my old 1970 that was my #1 throughout the late 90s-00s.

d1m1

Reaction score
love it! my fav finish

es-335´s are awesome! they arent called for no reason burst killers.

indravayu

Reaction score
love it! my fav finish

Same here (though I will always have a soft spot for cherry 335s). They did a real nice job with the finish on these - they are way more golden than some of the previous years' naturals that I have seen (like my last two 330s, which were almost whitish when they first came out of the box).

nikku

Reaction score
How heavy is it? I just picked up a sunburst version and love it! Was holding out for a blonde but this came up used (well...2 months old!) and I grabbed it. Love it. Totally different to my '63 50th which is now in the classifieds! My '58 is 8 pounds 7.5oz which is heavy for a 335! (my '63 7lbs 5.5oz!)

DSCF0386_zpsuzbmadbr.jpg

indravayu

Reaction score
How heavy is it? I just picked up a sunburst version and love it! Was holding out for a blonde but this came up used (well...2 months old!) and I grabbed it. Love it. Totally different to my '63 50th which is now in the classifieds! My '58 is 8 pounds 7.5oz which is heavy for a 335! (my '63 7lbs 5.5oz!)

DSCF0386_zpsuzbmadbr.jpg

That's a beauty!!

I don't have a scale, but the dealer listed mine as 8.42 lbs, which seems about right.

I have always preferred light 335s, but this one sounds so full-bodied and has such crazy sustain, I don't mind the heft (still isn't that heavy in the grand scheme of things).

I sold my 63RI as well - it was a nice guitar, but this 58RI is much superior (I dig chunky necks).

mdubya

Reaction score

DSCF0386_zpsuzbmadbr.jpg

Sweet! These are such cool guitars. :applause:

Got pics of the back/back of the neck? :fingersx:

Latest Threads