NGD 2014 Signature

C Squared

Reaction score
Took a chance on this. Been searching for a lighter shade of blue for a while and wanted one with white binding. This one came up and rolled the dice. She's pretty. She's HEAVY. (just under 10 lb) Neck is hair thicker than I would like. Some scuffs and dimples and a little fretwear but nothing horrible from a 7 YO guitar that was definitely PLAYED. Will have time tomorrow to swap the strings and verify the pickups (57 classics stock, but sounds more like BB pros to my ears).

I'll give her a good run over the next few days. If she's a keeper will be getting white pups and plastics, and a set of hipshots in place of the G force
blue 1.jpg
blue 2.jpg blue 3.jpg

C Squared

Reaction score
So, been on the hunt for a light blue Les Paul for a while. Most of the lighter shades I find have a chunky neck, which for my hands and situation is a giant NOPE. Also always wanted a LP with a Floyd, got only knows why since I dump every guitar with a trem, but I digress.
A few months back I found a blue Alex Skolnick LTD available. Don't see them a lot, and here is a blue LPish instrument with a floyd. It's nice, don't love it, but since I tend to go back and forth on floyd guitars anyway, I figured I have at least that.

Grabbed the 2014 Signature off reverb, described as having a slimmer 50s neck. I had one years ago in Iced Tea, and the neck wasn't bad. Has some fretwear and a few warts from being gigged and played, but it sounds like a LP. It's also a lighter shade of blue (almost tealish in some lights) white binding and natural back. The neck is however a typical 50s neck. It's a tad chunkier than I would normally live with....

Right now seriously wondering if I send it back. Go the PGK route and end up with exactly what I want (color neck profile. binding, pickup and hadrware etc) or simply shave a hair of the neck of the 2014. Previous owner already swapped out the G force (adding 3 holes per tuner in the headstock?!) changed the nut, put an ugly sticker on the back, changed the pickguard and dinged the top in the process, so it's not a pristine collectors version of the 2014 Sig.
shades of blue.jpg

The image below is what I'm after, faded denim or I've seen a 2016 Aqua that was nice.

Attachments

• denim.jpg
    denim.jpg
    95.9 KB · Views: 12

FingerLakesFan

Reaction score
Pretty sure it has '59 pickups on it (they are really nice) and not '57's.

C Squared

Reaction score
57 classics did sound good, but had some plans and you can't get them in white...
Screenshot_20210715-004450_Gallery.jpg

Wired up and tested. Tomorrow should get to fine tune the pickups and dial it in, along with getting some better pics in natural light
Contemplating: White knobs, possible black or smoked nickel hardware

Last edited:

Latest Threads