NGD: 2014 SG Standard

Wrench66

Reaction score
Hi everyone! I thought I'd post a few pics of my new toy.

I was going to get one of the 2016 models in Heritage Cherry, but when I stumbled upon this one at a local guitar shop, I snagged this one instead. It's hard to beat a red SG, IMO, but I really like having something different sometimes. It is a 2014 Standard in Manhattan Midnight. The pics below really don't do it justice.

When I first saw it, I thought it was black, but when the sales guy pulled it down from the wall and held it to the light coming through the window, I could see the dark, translucent blue finish. I was hooked right there! :dude:

I told myself that as long as it played well and the price was reasonable, it was coming home with me.

I'm digging the MOP inlays, but something is wrong with the truss rod cover...

OMG!!!! :shock: A robot took a giant sh!t on the back of the headstock! :wow:

The shop owner agreed to swap out the robotuner for traditional, Kluson style tuners free of charge. He said it would take about a week for them to come in. Meanwhile, I get to play around with the E-Tune BS for a few days. More about that in a few.

The guitar was filthy. It had been hanging on the wall for about a year and a half. The sales guy wiped some of the dust off when he handed it to me, but it was filthy. The strings were old and corroded. The fret board was almost white, and the case has a funky kind of smell that I can't quite place. It played good enough at the store and sounded decent even with old, nasty strings, so I brought it home.

I played it for a few hours once I got home, just to make sure I made the right decision, then I pulled the strings, oiled the fret board, and cleaned it really thoroughly. I was happy to see the fret board darken up as the oil soaked in. I mean it was really dry. It took a couple of days to get it set up just the way I like it, but now the action is nice and low (much lower than my Les Paul) and it plays amazing! It's my first SG and I'm really digging it!

I was really surprised how different this guitar sounded compared to my Les Paul. I thought it had 490R/498T pickups when I bought it, but learned later that it has 57 classics instead.

The E-Tune is a bag of sh!t. Plain and simple. It takes forever to tune and when it does it isn't very accurate. I tried to go from standard to e flat. That should be simple enough. 15 minutes later, the g string was still out. All of the lights on the tuner are green except the g string. It just flashes red. I pluck the string and nothing. It just sits there. I finally turned it off and tuned that string manually. I then hit a chord and it sounded out of tune! E-Tune says it's good, but my pedal tuner says the d and a string where sharp, so I tune those manually.

I play around in e flat for a while and decide to go back to standard. 10 minutes later, the g string is still out.... and the story repeats.

If your robotuner is working great on your guitar and your loving it, I'm happy for you. Personally, it's crap and I can't wait to be rid of it.

Playing my SG is completely different than playing my Les Paul. I find that there are somethings the Les Paul does better, IMO, than the SG. But there are a lot of things the SG does better. I've never been able to do much above the 17th fret on my Les Paul. The neck heel is just to thick for me to do much down there, but the SG is a different story! I got carried away and went right off the end of the fret board! I mean the access to the higher frets is just crazy on an SG compared to a Les Paul.

I'll try and post more pics once the robotuners are gone. My photo skills are on par with my meager playing abilities, but I'll try to find a shot that really shows the color for what it is.

michaelinokc

Reaction score
Excellent choice and I'm not surprised you're changing the robotuners. Congrats - it's a beauty! I'm a big SG fan and would have done the same.

Grey

Reaction score
That's very unique, in a good way. Enjoy your new guitar! I think it'll look even better with regular tuners. :thumb:

I'm not gonna start a bunch of BS about the robot tuners either for or against, but that truss rod cover is just awful, plain and simple. Who wants a big E-Tune™ logo on the front of their guitar?

Wrench66

Reaction score
That's very unique, in a good way. Enjoy your new guitar! I think it'll look even better with regular tuners. :thumb:

I'm not gonna start a bunch of BS about the robot tuners either for or against, but that truss rod cover is just awful, plain and simple. Who wants a big E-Tune™ logo on the front of their guitar?
Yea the truss rod cover is going too.

I thought I would just pass on my, admittedly limited, experience with the E-Tune contraption. I'm not a fan of it, as you can tell, but if someone else likes it, that's great! I'm not gonna bash anyone else for liking something that I don't like.

Grey

Reaction score
Yeah, good call. And good of the shop to swap them out for free. Personally i'm a fan of the 90's-style "SG" engraved truss rod covers. :naughty:

Wrench66

Reaction score
Yeah, good call. And good of the shop to swap them out for free. Personally i'm a fan of the 90's-style "SG" engraved truss rod covers. :naughty:
Who knows. I might just a blank one. All I know is that the one that's currently on there isn't gonna stay.:)

drpietrzak

Reaction score
I love my 14 SG Standard in a burst. I pulled the etune and put on hipshots with theur UMP system.

Wrench66

Reaction score
I love my 14 SG Standard in a burst. I pulled the etune and put on hipshots with theur UMP system.

Those look interesting. I know I would be at least a little nervous about drilling into the headstock of one of my guitars. Luckily for me, the shop agreed to replace the robotuners free of charge.

Gojo03

Reaction score
I picked up a 14 SG standard in Ebony before Christmas. I honestly tried to like the E-tune. After playing it for a couple weeks, I ordered a set of Sperzels for it today. It was fun, just not very accurate. Changing tune is sorta quick if you remember what the letter the tuning you want is. Manual tuning is weird since the bass side is backwards.

ScottMarlowe

Reaction score
That is a sweet looking SG and I'm glad that it's able to get the low action an SG deserves. As for the ETune, it seems Gibson's been replacing it on all the 2015s in stock at Guitar Denters. I don't hate the idea of robot tuning, I just don't find the current implementation to be all that good.

Wrench66

Reaction score
I picked up a 14 SG standard in Ebony before Christmas. I honestly tried to like the E-tune. After playing it for a couple weeks, I ordered a set of Sperzels for it today. It was fun, just not very accurate. Changing tune is sorta quick if you remember what the letter the tuning you want is. Manual tuning is weird since the bass side is backwards.
I've played a few in stores that worked fine, most didn't though. I'm still messing around with it. If I were to guess, I'd say it fails to tune about 40% of time and its still slow when it works.

Wrench66

Reaction score
That is a sweet looking SG and I'm glad that it's able to get the low action an SG deserves. As for the ETune, it seems Gibson's been replacing it on all the 2015s in stock at Guitar Denters. I don't hate the idea of robot tuning, I just don't find the current implementation to be all that good.
I'm not sure I would ever dig it, especially in its current form. Who knows though. Maybe they'll come up with something that will blow my mind :laugh2:

Latest Threads