NGD - 2014 R8 Lemonburst - NEW

texstrat

Reaction score
Got myself a brand new 2014 R8 this Christmas Eve. This is my second Historic, to accompany my '13 R8 Ice Tea Burst. Here is how it happened.

My local Guitar Center recently received a '14 R8, Two 2014 R9's, one 2014 R0, and two True Historics (R8 and R9). They already had several R0's in stock from previous years. So my friend who works there gave me a call and told me to come check them out. I have been planning on getting a new historic for the past several months, so I showed up with $8000 ready to spend... Honestly I though I was getting one of the True Historics. I was wrong...

I spent about 2 hours in the Platinum Room playing all of their new arrivals. I truly figured something out about myself: I like fat necks on my Les Pauls! The thin R0 necks are just not for me at all. The R0's also sounded brighter, kind of tele-ish, possibly in part due to the thinner neck... So I axed all of the R0's as prospects.

2 of the 3 R9's had a similar tone to the R0's, bright and relatively thin, and those 2 both had pretty thin necks for R9's as well. I axed these as prospects.

The True Historic R8 was awesome, but I just did not like the tobacco burst finish. But it was a killer player. Fat warm LP tone for days.

The True Historic R9 was amazing, with just a slightly thinner neck and smaller shoulders than the R8's. But the wood, Lemonburst color and tone were world class. This was a definite prospect. The best looking historic I've ever seen hands down.

Then the '14 R8. WOW! Light, beautiful wood, flame top, and also Lemonburst. This one had my favorite feel and sound out of all of them. It just rang when I played, was fat and articulate, and felt absolutely perfect.

Its amazing how all of these individual guitars sound and feel completely different, if one has the ear to decipher. Really cool to experience.

I boiled it down to 2 guitars:
1) True Historic R9 Lemonburst: this was my favorite in terms of looks, fretboard color, flame top, back color, overall fit and finish. Sounded badass too.

2) 2014 R8 Lemonburst: This was my favorite in terms of feel and tone. It looked great too, but it was how it sounded that caught me, but came in second in terms of looks to the TH R9. The TH R9 had a very dark, even colored fretboard. The R8 was a little lighter fretboard, but still pretty.

In the end, I went with the one that had my favorite tone and feel; The '14 R8. It just barely squeaked by the TH R9, just barely. But in the end I have no second thoughts. You guys are right, the '14 historics are special. I specifically compared this R8 and the TH9 for ~45 minutes, switching back and forth. I played through a '64 Deluxe Reverb, Friedman, and Bad Cat Hot Cat. IMHO, the R8 beat out the True Historic.

I had a lot of fun testing these out and finding the one. Now I have my second Historic, and I love it, and saved a few thousand dollars. Thanks and enjoy!!!

My '13 R8 Ice Tea Burst

rockinlespaul

Oxblood Addict
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
Congrats! Look at all the money you just saved too....bonus.

JMB1984

Reaction score
Very nice score! I think you made the right choice. :dude:

bossaddict

@david.beason on IG
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
Great looking pair! Congrats!

KBMelb

Reaction score
Congrats! I like that top. I'm not a big flame guy but that one has enough to dirty it up a little.

I bought a '14 R8 a year ago and it is amazing. I bought a TH58 about 3 weeks ago and I feel like I should sell the R8 to justify the TH58, which is better, but I know I will regret selling such an amazing guitar.

Dougj

Reaction score
Big congrats on this one, I love Lemon burst guitars and R8s is a stunner
do like the colour Ice Tea looks really cool can you tell me what amp you use ?

texstrat

Reaction score
Big congrats on this one, I love Lemon burst guitars and R8s is a stunner
do like the colour Ice Tea looks really cool can you tell me what amp you use ?

Thanks! My main amp is a Two Rock Custom Reverb Signsture v1. I also use a '73 Deluxe Reverb a lot, but prefer the Two Rock.

bblooz

Reaction score
Congrats on your NGD! I love nice fat neck on the R8 too. My R9 feels great too, but just that subtle difference makes it play better IMHO. It's hard to compare the sound A/B, since my R8 is loaded with OX4 PUs, while the R9 has the stock custom 'buckers. I believe you'll be happy in the long run, and become quite attached as you spend many hours together.

texstrat

Reaction score
Thanks guys! Really loving it.

And thanks to you all for the great info and idea generation going on around here. This is a great community and I intend to become more involved to do my part.

HendrixJr

Reaction score
Great looking guitar man! This is only firing up my desire to go buy another... Love the feel of my 14 R8 and can't wait to start looking to add an R6 with bigsby.

jamman

Reaction score
HNGD , Nice score with your new R8 ,,,,

and thanks for leaving the R0's to those of us who truly Love them thin necked guitars:thumb::wow:

BSeneca

Reaction score
Great guitar!! I have a 13 Lemonburst and a 13 washed cherry. I have had two R9's, BB R7, 09 R8 and a 10 R6. Out of all of them the 09 is the one that got away. But the two 13's are BETTER than both of the R9's I have had. Its the whole 1959 stigma, and I had it too. But I have found that the 13-14 R8's are by far the best bang for the buck. I have heard many great things about the TH's. But I could never part with that much money on a historic. As you found out, they are not head and shoulders above the 14's. You can get into vintage wood (juniors) at that price point. I think you made the wise choice. Play the hell out of it! Enjoy, Brian

Latest Threads