NGD!! 2013 Standard - MLP to thank...

Liquid State

Reaction score
along with being my very 1st Gibson LP Standard after playing for over 30 years (I own a few other Gibby's), this gtr also comes with a bit of a story.

I was one of the folks that jumped on the GC $1299 LP Desert Burst blow-out.

First I got this:
Thank you for your order, GREG!
Order Number: 10301XXXX, Order Date: 4-2-2014
Login to your account to view order status.
Shipment: You will receive a tracking email when your order ships.

and I was so very happy! Spent the night and the entire next day thinking I was to become the owner of not only an LP Standard, but a brand new one. This model/brand guitar has always been beyond what I could justify spending on myself, even though I have always covetted it. Now one was going to be shipped to my door and I could afford it.

Then, when I get home the next day and check my email to see the shipping staus, I get this:
Dear GREG,
Order # 10301XXXX has been cancelled. Please call us at 866-498-7882 if you have any questions or want to place a new order.
Sincerely,
Guitar Center Customer Service

and I was sad......
I kept checking the MLP blow-out PSA thread (for some unknown reason)and that was only more depressing.

It was going to be tough to be satisfied with another guitar for awhile after thinking I had scored that guitar at that deal.

Here is where MLP comes to the rescue. Five days later a forum member post a brand new 2013 LP Standard Desert Burst in the classifieds. He got in on the same deal, but actually scored one (good for him!) I sat on the fence thinking about if for about a day and then decided to get over myself and F-GC, I want that guitar! I PM'd the seller and we worked out a deal. Now, did he flip it and make some green? -sure he did. Did I get a brand new LP Standard (the one I wanted) at great price? - absolutely!

I will say one of the best parts of the experience was doing the deal with MLP member Flyfish-mt. Right after I PM'd him he got us on the phone to discuss the deal and the guitar and make sure everything was cool. He has quite a lot of knowledge and we ended with a much better relationship than working with someone at GC. He packed the guitar in the case and then packed the case in the box and then packed that box in another box.... and it showed up perfect.

So, that is how I ended up with my first Standard. She is a Desert Burst and her name is Tonopah.

HNGD for me!

SL

Sav

Reaction score
Usually I'm not a fan of the Desert Burst LPs, but god damn that is beautiful!
Congrats man :)

raunch

Reaction score
Congrats! Loved seeing the UPS truck pic...and what a beautiful LP you have there!

FingerLakesFan

Reaction score
Great story and an even better guitar! Those blow out prices on the Standards were incredible! Well done! :applause:

Case24

Reaction score
Congratulations! Glad to hear it worked out for you in the end. Nice to hear how great the other members are on here as well. Nice looking burst! :thumb:

Bountyhunter

Reaction score
I had no interest in owning a Standard, but at that price I had to jump on one too. Congrats, man! :thumb:

musicmaniac

Reaction score
After 30 years waiting congratulations are in order. But to me I'd be pissed because I paid more from someone who just purchased it to flip. Why not let people like yourself get in on the deal in the first place? The reason you didn't is because someone buys a bunch of these and they sell out a lot quicker. I know everyone wants to make a buck but the good guy always gets the shaft.

JM2112

Reaction score
Congratulations!!! :applause::applause::applause:

Very awesome looking LP! Love the desert burst finish and a nice subtle flamed top! :thumb:

HNGD!!! :dude:

Bigfoot410

I'll have a sammich!
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
So, let me get this straight.

The OP really wanted a Standard at the blowout price and couldn't get one because somebody that didn't want one bought it, raised the ante and flipped it to the OP for a profit. And then another member posts that he didn't want one either, but bought one too. This just has WIN, WIN all over it......

Warm, fuzzy story right there.

Glad you got what you wanted.....I guess.

Farquad

Reaction score
Man I love happy endings. Congrats on that beauty!!!

bwillard

Reaction score
I LOVE the burst on that one! It looks like a Bourbon Burst!

Justin_Case

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
Smart man who knows what he wants and goes for it.

I've screwed myself more than once hemming and hawing on a guitar, only to finally go down to buy it and find it sold....

Congrats.

Latest Threads