NGD 2013 SG Standard

SkunkWorks

Reaction score
The '05 SG Special Faded I bought new back in '06 got me back into Gibson when I was on a budget back then, but as soon as I started collecting my Les Pauls, it got stuck in the corner of my recording studio and hasn't been played for years. In fact, I got seriously into a couple other hobbies 3 years ago and have for the most part neglected playing altogether and have been pretty much absent from mylespaul for the past few years.

Was recently listening to some stuff I recorded but never finished back then and got the itch a few days ago to play/record again. Was looking at the SG Special Faded sitting over in the corner, and, out of the blue, decided I'd like to own what I would have bought in an SG originally if money hadn't been an issue back in '06... at that time, that would have been the gloss finish '61 re-issue Gibson was producing then. Decided to see what current model would get me that look and found the 2013 and 2014 Standard...

I wasn't diggin' the 2014's missing nibs, so I popped into Long & McQuade Edmonton South this morning and came home with this brand new 2013 SG Standard w/case. There's nothing I'd even want to change about it except maybe a swap to the satin chrome hardware from the SGJ at some point, and maybe change the bridge '57 Classic to the Plus version which is my favorite recording pickup. Oh, and the 500k pots have to go if that's what's in there (sounds like it).

2013_SG_Standard-01.jpg 2013_SG_Standard-02.jpg

SkunkWorks

Reaction score
Thanks, man. I like it! I sliced the tip of my finger the other day with a utility knife so I need it to heal before I can really put this thing through the ringer ;)

Magoo4u

Banned
Reaction score
I just got this same exact guitar. Returned my LP traditional and got this, and 2 more guitars with the credit. I couldn't bond with the LP, even though I was forcing myself so hard to love it. The SG just fits me better.

SkunkWorks

Reaction score
Yeah, I haven't been able to put mine down, it's a blast to play. I put D'Addario XL 11-49's on it tonight (my music genre uses lowered and dropped tunings)... the neck setup was perfect with the factory strings at standard tuning (we did a quick and dirty setup in the store when I was trying it out), but it's going to need a bit of a truss adjustment now... I'll take it in for the complimentary free setup in a week or two. I really love 57 Classics but prefer the Plus version in the bridge... I have some kicking around here somewhere. I'm glad Gibson went back to the point-to-point wiring, it'll make electronics work easier.

Looks great with the vintage amber switch tip ;)

2013_SG_Standard-03.jpg

Latest Threads