NGD...2013 R0, the Catalog guitar

Jared Purdy

Reaction score
Thanks all!...she looks good along with one of my all time faves another 2013...R9

What's your take on the difference between the necks? I've heard that the first run of the 60's were basically the same as the 59's, and then the second and third run of the 60's started to change. Cheers. Both of them are beautiful.

buckwild

Reaction score
What's your take on the difference between the necks? I've heard that the first run of the 60's were basically the same as the 59's, and then the second and third run of the 60's started to change. Cheers. Both of them are beautiful.
in 2013 the neck profiles were definitely starting to get dialed in...these 2 aren't drastically diff. The 60 is a bit thinner, and the profile is a bit closer to a soft D, as opposed to a C.

Jared Purdy

Reaction score
in 2013 the neck profiles were definitely starting to get dialed in...these 2 aren't drastically diff. The 60 is a bit thinner, and the profile is a bit closer to a soft D, as opposed to a C.
I had a 2013 R9 and the neck profile on it was quite different than the 2019 60th Anniversary R9 that I've got now. It was slightly beefier, and I'd say it too was closer to a D.

I was told by the owner of Mark's Guitar Loft that these reissues are the most accurate they've ever been, and back in the day, there was more than one profile owing to the hand made nature of them. When Gibson launched the reissue line in 199? they were using more than one historic, hence the variations. Apparently, the R9's today were copied from the guitar that is owned by Joe Bonamassa, who apparently loaned it to Gibson to copy for the current run of R9's. Not sure which profiles they're using for the R0, as apparently there were three different neck profiles for 1960.

buckwild

Reaction score
I had a 2013 R9 and the neck profile on it was quite different than the 2019 60th Anniversary R9 that I've got now. It was slightly beefier, and I'd say it too was closer to a D.

I was told by the owner of Mark's Guitar Loft that these reissues are the most accurate they've ever been, and back in the day, there was more than one profile owing to the hand made nature of them. When Gibson launched the reissue line in 199? they were using more than one historic, hence the variations. Apparently, the R9's today were copied from the guitar that is owned by Joe Bonamassa, who apparently loaned it to Gibson to copy for the current run of R9's. Not sure which profiles they're using for the R0, as apparently there were three different neck profiles for 1960.
YEP! Mark is probably one of the most knowledgeable dudes I know on historics and guitars period, I've learned a lot from him.

Last edited:

Crotch

Triggered
Premium Member
Reaction score
I've always loved this guitar. The big top R0's are always so difficult to find. I had one that was close, a 2014 R0 that was a Benchmark Series from Rainbow Guitars, but it was almost quilty compared to flamey if that makes sense.

StubbyJ

Reaction score
Not sure what is more impressive, the guitar or the 7 year hunt. Nice work. If you give your guitars nicknames, there's got to be something in this story. Enjoy.

sicko

Reaction score
wow, what a beautiful lester... that top is out of this world! major congrats!

Latest Threads