NGD! 2013 Gibson Derek Trucks SG

lovehifi

Reaction score
Welcome to your new home! Just bought this 2013 Derek Trucks SG. Guy I bought from is a Fender player and basically just kept this in the case since buying it new. Love the D neck and as soon as I picked it up and tried it I new it was coming home with me. The playablity and resonation is fantastic. Just tried it through my Friedman BE-50 Deluxe. My ears are smiling. Oh and the D.T. signature truss rod cover is in the case. I just wanted to try another one I had.
Resize1-9.jpg
Resize1-10.jpg
Resize1-11.jpg

strayedstrater

Reaction score
Beautiful. I love the grain.

Is that an engraved truss rod cover? Hard to tell from the dead center, straight on pic.

MSB

Reaction score
NICE!!! tell me more about the neck. I was under the impression these were typical '61 slim???

lovehifi

Reaction score
NICE!!! tell me more about the neck. I was under the impression these were typical '61 slim???
No quite the standard '61 slim. Probably why I like the neck shape so much. While yes its a 60s slim it is a D shaped neck that adds a little more girth and shoulder. My other Gibson is a R7 and I have tried many Gibson 60s slim necks over the years including a couple '61 Reissues and I just wasn't crazy about the necks. However I get along great with this one. I think Gibson specs on the D.T. SG specifies Slim "D."

Reactions: MSB

Saiko

Reaction score
Saw your post on the SG forum, love the guitar! That wood grain is amazing!

Mike I

Silver Supporting Member
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Beautiful SG dude! :thumb:

Love the color, and the wood grain is just gorgeous!

What's up with the tail piece, and the stop tail?
Can it also be strung up thru the tail piece, and remove the stop tail and posts?
Trapeze style?
Play her in good health! :cheers2:

strayedstrater

Reaction score
Beautiful SG dude! :thumb:

Love the color, and the wood grain is just gorgeous!

What's up with the tail piece, and the stop tail?
Can it also be strung up thru the tail piece, and remove the stop tail and posts?
Trapeze style?
Play her in good health! :cheers2:
The tailpiece is missing the leaf spring string anchor, so there's no way to hook the strings to it. It's purely cosmetic (although the added weight may help counteract neck dive).

Vintage SG's all had trems. When people converted them to stop tails, there were screw holes and dents left from the trems. So some people left the trapeze mounted and just removed the spring plate.

Derek liked that look, so his signature model has the non-functioning trapeze.

You could put a spring plate on it and remove the stopbar and studs, but then you'd have the big empty holes and bushings from the stopbar.

none2low

Reaction score
Beautiful SG!! Gibson had some really cool grained mahogany in 2013.

Most of the one's I've seen with swirled grain like this are one piece bodies as well.

I don't know for certain, since I only have my SG Original to base it on, but I think the swirly grain makes them a little bit heavier than the straight grain stuff. Which on an SG is a benefit, since it helps to eliminate the dreaded neck dive.

afjungemann

Reaction score
That is gorgeous. The grain is insane. Very very cool guitar!

Latest Threads